Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

The decision to not sign a midfielder and sell Shelvey was not a footballing one. 

Business, long term strategy etc.  it may work out in future. 

In 22/23 it has and will cost us points.  

EH was not happy about it either. Because it weakens the squad he has to manage.  

Yes board have done well so far. As have the team.  Ok they are nice Tories.  Does that make you feel better?

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The future of NUFC has a far bigger picture than Jonjo Shelvey getting a few minutes here and there this season.

Of course it does but we got peanuts for Shelvey so what was the issue in keeping him till the summer ? Howe wanted a midfielder before Shelvey left, the decision to sell him and not replace is a poor one imo.

I could understand if we got massive money for him but we got a minimal fee by all accounts.

Edited by SUPERTOON

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Shelvey obviously hadn’t barely played for us this season, but he certainly would have over the next few weeks given the current state of the squad. 

WHO WOULDVE GUESSED IT? ALL OF OUR OTHER CENTRAL MIDFIELDERS HAVE PLAYED DAMN NEAR EVERY MINUTE. WHO COULD HAVE PREDICTED THEY WOULD GET TIRED. INJURED. OR SUSPENDED AND WE MIGHT NEED TO USE OTHER PLAYERS.  

Most seemed to be happy with a top 10 finish to the season, we're still on track to achieve more then that. Even if our form has dropped, season is 38 games long and we were always going to have dips, the intensity we started with could never be maintained with the  squad depth we have. Were still 17 games undefeated.

Adding to our squad in January would've been nice, but getting enough in to continue a top 4 push would've taken massive cash at a time that there's not great value for money. Just need to keep getting patient and enjoy the ride 

Plus we're in a cup final!

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The decision to not sign a midfielder and sell Shelvey was not a footballing one. 

Business, long term strategy etc.  it may work out in future. 

In 22/23 it has and will cost us points.  

EH was not happy about it either. Because it weakens the squad he has to manage.  

Yes board have done well so far. As have the team.  Ok they are nice Tories.  Does that make you feel better?

Shelvey played half an hour for Forest today. His first minutes since we sold him. So unless you think him coming on for us for half an hour today would have won us the match, selling him has cost us zero points so far.

I think our recent downturn will almost certainly have to do with the upcoming cup final too. Whether it’s conscious or unconscious, the players haven’t been flying around the pitch at full intensity, and there’s definitely been a hint of pulling out of challenges.

Can’t really blame them to be honest.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Was great to see him getting such a fabulous ovation from the Bournemouth fans at the end of the game. Especially after the way he left considering all he had done for them.

You could see how much it meant to him. Lovely moment. 

Just now, wormy said:

You could see how much it meant to him. Lovely moment. 

That tiny ground with it's 11k capacity when he took over brought it home just what he achieved there. Incredible story tbh.

9 minutes ago, SteV said:

Shelvey played half an hour for Forest today. His first minutes since we sold him. So unless you think him coming on for us for half an hour today would have won us the match, selling him has cost us zero points so far.

Disingenuous argument; he’s been injured most of the season. He’d have come on today and would get minutes over the next month in my view. None of our midfielders outside Bruno can play a through ball; he can. Stupid gamble.

Just now, Theregulars said:

Disingenuous argument; he’s been injured most of the season. He’d have come on today and would get minutes over the next month in my view. None of our midfielders outside Bruno can play a through ball; he can. Stupid gamble.

No, it’s not a disingenuous argument because I’m responding to the claim that his sale has already cost us points. Which IMO, it hasn’t.

If you want to argue that it may do going forward, fair do’s, I wouldn’t argue. But you can’t really say it has already.

Just now, SteV said:

No, it’s not a disingenuous argument because I’m responding to the claim that his sale has already cost us points. Which IMO, it hasn’t.

If you want to argue that it may do going forward, fair do’s, I wouldn’t argue. But you can’t really say it has already.

That’s not what I’m arguing. I’m arguing it’s a needless gamble. Sounds like we agree, really!

16 minutes ago, SteV said:

What’s your point?

My point is we needed a CM while Shelvey was here. We now need 2.  We needed those players because our first team included all of our fit CMs and any injuries would leave us seriously short.  Had we properly addressed CM in the January window, we would have more points than we do now.  

At the end of todays game we have 2 fit and available CMs in the entire squad. 1 of which is 1 YC away from a 2 game suspension.  

Edited by The College Dropout

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

What’s your point?

My point is we needed a CM while Shelvey was here. We now need 2.  We needed those players because our first team included all of our fit CMs and any injuries would leave us seriously short.  Had we properly addressed CM in the January window, we would have more points than we do now.  

At the end of todays game we have 2 fit and available CMs in the entire squad. 1 of which is 1 YC away from a 2 game suspension.  

My point is if you think selling Shelvey has already cost us points, I disagree.

"Newcastle are now unbeaten in the last eight PL games on the road, beating their longest run in that competition from the 2003/04 season (bizarrely, that sequence of seven games were all draws).

Their longest unbeaten away league sequence remains 10 games during the 1907/08 First Division, while the 2009/10 Championship season included a run of nine without defeat away from SJP."

As deflating as today was, stats like this still blow my mind. We weren't even achieving away runs like this under KK and Bobby.