Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Still think Murphy has something but he needs games, the longer he was out the side the worse he looked in his cameos. It’s also leaving us a bit short for someone who can play on the right hand side.

One thing I've noticed this summer, especially if NUFC are going back to the Carr / Pardew / McClaren way of having scouted signings - is that they appear to be of a much lower calibre than they were back then, considering how extensively they will have been scouted. Our purchasing dept is a lot poorer - literally and figuratively. 

Think about the likes of Cabaye, Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Cisse, Ba, Debuchy, Santon even Yanga Mbiwa. All were full internationals and pretty well known. It wasn't actually a surprise when they turned out to be good. And the pricing was really good. Even later on, Wijnaldum, Mitrovic, Thauvin, Mbemba - all perhaps except Mbemba were well known and extremely highly rated. The only one who was really of the ilk of some of our recent signings was Tiote who was quite unknown to be fair.

The ones this year are actually of a lower bracket given everyone seems to have great scouting set ups. The equivalents of the above this year would have been the likes of getting Haller (Cisse - well known and top scorer in Germany), Kean (Mitrovic - top youngster and considered destined for the top), even the likes of Pepe / Fornals would be considered the calibre of Thauvin, Ndombele could be seen as the equivalent of Sissoko when we signed him. ASM is nowhere near Ben Arfa in terms of reputation or potential, whereas Joelinton really doesn't have a 40m track record. As the market has moved on, and due to NUFC largely being timewasters in getting deals done, they are no longer at the front of the queue for the best of the best youngsters (Wijnaldum), or those wanting to test themselves in the PL (Cabaye, Cisse) or those who need a fresh start (Ben Arfa).

Aye Murphy was comfortably Rafa's worst signing. Think they probably knew straight away that it wasn't gonna work. But it was like they'd never seen him before, guy must weigh about 9 stone.

Murphy's been absolutely chod, but horrendously mismanaged too. Best to get rid IMO.

Word.

Strange purchase at the time - a lot of our cash on a position of relative strength. Poor one in retrospect.

There's probably a great deal of merit to the notion that it's a sweetheart deal to shut Wednesday up. Free loan and we'll pay the wages = 2-3m(?).

Guest chopey

Murphy's been absolutely chod, but horrendously mismanaged too. Best to get rid IMO.

Word.

Strange purchase at the time - a lot of our cash on a position of relative strength. Poor one in retrospect.

There's probably a great deal of merit to the notion that it's a sweetheart deal to shut Wednesday up. Free loan and we'll pay the wages = 2-3m(?).

TBF he looked quality in the Championship, I think he's the same sort of level as Gayle in that he just can't do it in the Premier league.

Guest Howaythetoon

I have it on good authority that the club pursued Murphy which Rafa OK’d thinking the club were buying for the future and that he would still get enough money to spend on first-team players, that turned out to be a lie. I still rate the player personally as someone who has a bit of talent, but he’s nowt special and never will be. Players at his age need games, and every week, not cameos from the bench. NUFC are not in the position to spend 10m + on young players even for development purposes, we simply aren’t capable of developing such players, finding them suitable clubs to go on loan to and have a programme that helps them get ready for the first team either on the bench or starting. Murphy would have been better off staying at Norwich where he would be a star man and regular for them and looking forward to a Premier League season.

I have it on good authority that the club pursued Murphy which Rafa OK’d thinking the club were buying for the future and that he would still get enough money to spend on first-team players, that turned out to be a lie. I still rate the player personally as someone who has a bit of talent, but he’s nowt special and never will be. Players at his age need games, and every week, not cameos from the bench. NUFC are not in the position to spend 10m + on young players even for development purposes, we simply aren’t capable of developing such players, finding them suitable clubs to go on loan to and have a programme that helps them get ready for the first team either on the bench or starting. Murphy would have been better off staying at Norwich where he would be a star man and regular for them and looking forward to a Premier League season.

I have said it before, his brother is the perfect example of what having that extra year of playing time will do. When we signed him, he was considered the better of the two, now his brother is. The thing is though, NUFC are never going to pay £14m for someone and then loan them out, which is exactly what Murphy needed.

I have said it before, his brother is the perfect example of what having that extra year of playing time will do. When we signed him, he was considered the better of the two, now his brother is. The thing is though, NUFC are never going to pay £14m for someone and then loan them out, which is exactly what Murphy needed.

I think Murphy is just another example of a player who isn't quite good enough for the PL but excels in the Championship, like Gayle. These players are always going to be worth gambling on when they're young because if they continue to develop you have bargain Premier League quality players. If not, you sell them to a Championship club for what you paid for them. Murphy obviously didn't have any more development left in the tank so the gamble failed, but given the state of the transfer market i'd be surprised if we make a loss on him.

Seems a nice lad and I hope he bounces back somewhere else but i'd put money on him never making it at PL level.

Guest reefatoon

"Newcastle are interested in Bordeaux winger Francois Kamano and could make a £14m Deadline Day move for the 23-year-old, according to L'Equipe."

Aye, few hours to go is not the time to show an interest. They have left themselves absolutely no time for monitoring, mulling over, low ball bids and shite wage offers.

"Newcastle are interested in Bordeaux winger Francois Kamano and could make a £14m Deadline Day move for the 23-year-old, according to L'Equipe."

Aye, few hours to go is not the time to show an interest. They have left themselves absolutely no time for monitoring, mulling over, low ball bids and shite wage offers.

Just go straight in with a low ball bid.

Guest chopey

"Head coach of Players Steve Bruce gets another player forced on him" .......................mug

Guest reefatoon

"Head coach of Players Steve Bruce gets another player forced on him" .......................mug

Aye, if he is not going to be playing wingers, he might want to crawl out the back of Ashley and say something.