Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Sky Sports running the story that we are getting ready to pay £70m for Kalidou Koulibaly from Napoli if the takeover goes through.

Sounds like bollocks tbh. If we are going to have FFP rules to consider, why would we spend a massive part of our budget on a central defender?

Our defence is good but how many are top 4-5 quality? If the new owners are going to be splashing that sort of cash it’ll be to challenge for CL places.

Yes but they probably can’t. According to some football finance experts we’ll have £150,000,000 plus player sales to spend at most. Is it really a good idea to spend nearly half our budget on a player in a position we don’t need when we need 10-12 players.

That's my take on it as well. I mean great if there is some creative way to get round FFP, but assuming we have limited spending, then central defence isn't really the position I would have targeted to spend big on first.

That said, I do get the point made that our current defenders might not look so great in an attacking line up.

Guest Howaythetoon

Sky Sports running the story that we are getting ready to pay £70m for Kalidou Koulibaly from Napoli if the takeover goes through.

Sounds like bollocks tbh. If we are going to have FFP rules to consider, why would we spend a massive part of our budget on a central defender?

Our defence is good but how many are top 4-5 quality? If the new owners are going to be splashing that sort of cash it’ll be to challenge for CL places.

Yes but they probably can’t. According to some football finance experts we’ll have £150,000,000 plus player sales to spend at most. Is it really a good idea to spend nearly half our budget on a player in a position we don’t need when we need 10-12 players.

And yet if they did the same on a forward, no-one would bat an eye lid. It’s unfashionable to spend so much money (bigger % of a budget) on a defender. If it bought us a quality player like van Dyk though...

And yet if they did the same on a forward, no-one would bat an eye lid. It’s unfashionable to spend so much money (bigger % of a budget) on a defender. If it bought us a quality player like van Dyk though...

A defender was worth that because Liverpool already had the forward power. When you look at us, where would you put our big money?

But again, cb is a position we are fairly strong.

I don't think we are, it looks that way because, as I've said, we play 5 at the back and a central midfield that is often more centre half than nidfield.

As much as I like our centre halves I'm not sure I'd like to go to 4 at the back with a midfield you want to get forward.

I don't think we are, it looks that way because, as I've said, we play 5 at the back and a central midfield that is often more centre half than nidfield.

As much as I like our centre halves I'm not sure I'd like to go to 4 at the back with a midfield you want to get forward.

You are right. But assuming we can only spend £70m on one or max two players, would you want it to be on a central defender?

It's definitely our strongest position besides maybe one GK. We should be looking at two CMs, a forward, two fullbacks, and maybe another creative outlet first. Not that I would be against spending any money on any position right now.

You are right. But assuming we can only spend £70m on one or max two players, would you want it to be on a central defender?

Why would I want to assume that ?

We would then be a much more attractive proposition for quality youngsters and more experienced players at the end or near the end of their contracts meaning that "assumption" quite probably wouldn't need to be real.

Why would I want to assume that ?

We would then be a much more attractive proposition for quality youngsters and more experienced players at the end or near the end of their contracts meaning that "assumption" quite probably wouldn't need to be real.

Yes that's a fair point, I was going off the figure being bandied about of max £150m to spend in a season, but I suppose you could buy quality players for less if they are over 30.

Hopefully we will soon see all that shite about Bruce having nothing to work with will soon dissipate.

Schar, Lascelles, Longstaffs, Almiron, likely Joelinton are only a few players who have class and have been completely buried by Bruce's non tactics and coaching. So many players will look better with better coaching, even the truly shit ones. Add 4/5 really high quality players in to what we have and we will see the next level, dramatically, especially from the likes of Almiron and even ASM.

Get some quality cm's in who can keep us up the pitch and almiron, ASM, and even Joelinton will look a lot better.

Not having to run from inside our own half with the ball to get in the opponents half but rather starting the runs outside the opponents box and they'll look much better.

Get some quality cm's in who can keep us up the pitch and almiron, ASM, and even Joelinton will look a lot better.

Not having to run from inside our own half with the ball to get in the opponents half but rather starting the runs outside the opponents box and they'll look much better.

Them 3 wont even be in future plans once takeover is done

Why? If the takeover goes ahead and they have intentions to invest it still isn’t going to be like the Chelsea/City days where full squads are bought and sold. We definitely need another striker but I agree with SAK[/member] , if we get some quality centre midfielders the whole team will look better.

I think Almirion and ASM will be here for years and rightly so

Why? If the takeover goes ahead and they have intentions to invest it still isn’t going to be like the Chelsea/City days where full squads are bought and sold. We definitely need another striker but I agree with SAK[/member] , if we get some quality centre midfielders the whole team will look better.

I'd be surprised if they are anywhere near the team for 21/22 season

I'd be surprised if they are anywhere near the team for 21/22 season

Lol...there are far more pressing needs than to replace those two. They’ll easily be here next season!

Guest Carrick18

OK, Joelinton hasn't pulled up trees (I think he'd get double figures under any of the new potential coaches), but you'd be mad to just bin ASM and Almiron. Both are young, fast, ball-carriers. They're not to be sniffed at in the modern game.

Thing I'll be most looking forward to in the short term is seeing Schar back in the team under a manager who can use him properly, as he's still our best player when he's in form imo. Class above.

Aye, Bruce's reluctance to give him more game time is absolutely baffling, even moreso that we've relied on goalscoring defenders to keep us up.

Might get lejeune back into the team too. Was a thing of beauty for a bit under Rafa having him and Schar pinging the ball about with Jamaal there to just do the simple stuff.