Newcastle United Women

toontownman

1 hour ago, Dr. TC said:

Agreed. First ten minutes they were all over us and I feared a hammering, but after our goal they looked even, and then second half we were on top. Very impressive for a championship side. 

I was disappointed with the amount of passing backwards and sideways we did. They were there for the taking really, we got in behind either on an overlap or just runs behind when we ventured forward.

I think the lasses may have thought it would be tougher than it was.

I still fancy a flutter on them to win the league.

I'm fairly sure she turned down a 1 million pound contract earlier in the year so she could try and win the FA Cup with Man U (which she did win).

So I would imagine it would take some wage offer to entice her, but the source is a good one in women's football!

I just wish we were targeting some younger players so we could see some sort of plan for the future, rather than throwing everything at this season, then having to start all over again next summer!

5 hours ago, iklgizmo said:

I'm fairly sure she turned down a 1 million pound contract earlier in the year so she could try and win the FA Cup with Man U (which she did win).

So I would imagine it would take some wage offer to entice her, but the source is a good one in women's football!

I just wish we were targeting some younger players so we could see some sort of plan for the future, rather than throwing everything at this season, then having to start all over again next summer!

Yeah, I think they just want to be in the WSL as soon as possible though. They are constantly changing how you get in. A few years ago Man Utd were nowhere near it and got offered a place in it (so did we, but Ashley turned it down). Other teams like Doncaster Belles were kicked out and booted further down the pyramid.

They’ll end up buying younger players who can break through at a later date. Right now though there is no limit on women’s football, so they are in a position where they can buy their way to the top, which they can’t do with the means team.

Just having a quick look at where some of the released players have ended up. I don't think there were any more than the below 11 and more than half have found new clubs. You'd think Paige would be able to find a 3rd tier club, and I guess some of the others may go into other directions, like football camps, or completely out of the game.

While Newcastle still have a few weeks until their first match, it looks like the 3rd and 4th tiers get underway this coming Sunday.

Bridget Galloway - Nottingham Forest (they've gone professional)

Naomi Bedeau - Nottingham Forest

Sharna Wilkinson - Middlesborough (4th tier)

Keira Skelton - Middlesbrough

Grace Boyes - Middlesbrough

Anna Soulsby - Durham Cestria (4th tier)

Paige Bailey-Gayle - can't find anything

Lillie Woods - can't find anything

Cara Milne-Redhead - can't find anything

Erin Nelson - can't find anything

Tyler Dodds - can't find anything

19 hours ago, iklgizmo said:

I agree with Stiffler's comment. Also, we do have a smattering of young, potential tallent. The development squad is large and smashed their way to league champions. It seems to have good local links in terms of spotting potential. Of course, very few make it from 'development' squads to the first team (especially at Newcastle - men's team I am thinking of) so it depends on the quality of the 'academy'. McQuade is an example of when it can work, though. Her running, when she came on, clearly unsettled the oposition and she nicked a good number of balls off unaware players (including for the second). What we really lack, that a lot of the WSL teams have, is foreign players that have, often, been bought at their peak (rather than developed). In my opinion, we will buy those type of players when we are in a position that they will want to come / when we get into the WSL.

Edited by Cclay