Realistic Transfer Targets (2024/25)

joeyt

1 minute ago, BoSelecta said:

All purchases are spread over the length of the contract for FPP purposes. So a 50 mil player on a 5 year contract is a 10 mil loss per year. I believe wages may also be added to the bundle.

Wages are a bit more complicated obviously but yeah they are included in the FFP calculations so if our wage bill goes up £20m/year that'll have to be covered by legacy profits, player sales or new income.

The two hottest young forwards in January, Alexander Isak and Jonathan David, have since hit a poor run of form and transfer links to the "big" clubs have died down somewhat. Wonder if they would be worth a cheeky punt?

Guest HTT II
7 minutes ago, LV said:

I’m not totally convinced by Phillips for some reason 

I used to think the same, but watching him closely recently he’s like Henderson at LFC, he does that kind of job, gets the ball, gives it, covers right left and centre, always supports and works like fuck off the ball defensively. That may be because Leeds are his team mind. He’d be like Woodgate was for the team back then when we raided Leeds for this current team, a transformative addition. 

10 hours ago, midds said:

That's exactly what I was wondering. A £50m player coming in could only hit us for £10m in the first year etc. Honestly don't know how it works

Amortisation also plays a apart too. Another thing to add is that in the example of the £50 million player, extending a player's contract by 2 years (7 years in total) can also ease FFP by spreading the payments further. I am no expert on this but it's not as simple as money in and money out. The example of Di Maria in the video below who cost Man U £59.7 million and was sold a year later to PSG for £44 million is a good one because under amortisation Man U made a profit of £22.7 million in their books. 

Edited by macphisto

6 minutes ago, hakka said:

Why? - Have I missed something?

Low release fee if triggered by relegation and Barcelona are rumoured to be interested. His agent Deco is ex Barca.

Edited by SAK

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

One thing I noticed on the Brazil squad tweet was how much their fans dislike Jesus. No idea why. 

Around 64% of Brazilian's are Catholic, so that is a surprise.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

One thing I noticed on the Brazil squad tweet was how much their fans dislike Jesus. No idea why. 

Atheists?

36 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I used to think the same, but watching him closely recently he’s like Henderson at LFC, he does that kind of job, gets the ball, gives it, covers right left and centre, always supports and works like fuck off the ball defensively. That may be because Leeds are his team mind. He’d be like Woodgate was for the team back then when we raided Leeds for this current team, a transformative addition. 

Totally agree with you on Phillips. 

I think he's exactly the sort of player we need- against the bottom-half teams he can sit and allow Bruno some freedom going forward, against the better sides they can play a bit deeper together and I think they'd shield the back four quite effectively. 

I rate Phillips after watching him for England last summer. He did very well against some competent players. He has a good knack of sticking in strong challenges just short of a foul too. Must be physical uncomfortable playing against him.

I also rate Rice, but fuck the money he's being talked about.

Phillips would be exactly the kind of signing I'd be keen to make. A high level player but who would be making a step up by coming here. 

Feel like the fee they'd ask for on survival would make it a waste of budget (compared to other positions) - but at a cut price deal it's basically a market opportunity you shouldn't ignore.

Would Zinchenko be realistic at all? He's a really good player, but doesn't seem to be a main starter at City, and I can see them getting a new LB in the summer.

Phillips sitting slightly deeper with Joelinton and Bruno in a midfield 3 of a 3-5-2 would be rock solid. Front 2 of Paqueta/another "No. 10-type" player and Wilson/another striker. Trippier and Aaron Hickey/Renan Lodi as wingbacks. 

In this scenario, the minimum incomings would be Philips, a No 10 (Paqueta, Dybala, even Lingard if we must. ASM could be rotated in a pinch), another striker (Osimhen, Nunez, David, Isak, Nketiah, Ekitike etc), a left wingback (Lodi, Hickey), a CB (Botman, Badashile). 

With this complement, we could easily adapt to playing 3-5-2 against the trickier sides, and 4-3-3 against the rest, using ASM and the 10 as wide forwards in that scenario. Just plugging in all the names we have been linked with of late (apart from Dybala).

Philips seems like a top lad as well - humble, hard working, chipper. Character is clearly massively important to Howe (which might be one of the reasons ASM is rumoured to be on his way) so he seems like a good fit in that respect as well

55 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Because he has the most annoying face? Honestly he has resting whinge face. 

Can only think it is down to his eyebrows.  I like him as a player but i cant bear seeing his face

Guest HTT II
42 minutes ago, 54 said:

Would Zinchenko be realistic at all? He's a really good player, but doesn't seem to be a main starter at City, and I can see them getting a new LB in the summer.

He’d be a fantastic signing!