Kieran Trippier: targeting return for Brighton (h) (Hope)

Yorkie

Watched the match with a couple of Spurs supporting mates.  He was rated on the whole during his time there, I think.  But they can't believe how much he has improved.  They seemed to suggest he wasn't as effective and influential going forward and he was a lot worse with his one on one defending when he played for them.  

Weirdly, I still think his defending when he is isolated is still his biggest weakness.  But he often seems to start with a bit of a wobble in that regard, then adjusts and just starts to dominate the game.  

Pulls the strings from right back and seems like a model pro.  Special player.  Absolutely love him. 

37 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

Have any of them watched Trippier at all this season? 

"Trippier will go because Gareth loves him" is so ignorant and plain stupid.

Trippier is up with TAA in terms of progression and chance creation.  He's doing that withouth Salah, Firmino el al.

Trippier is also massively better than TAA in every other department and also a leader.  

Not even a debate.

2 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Watched the match with a couple of Spurs supporting mates.  He was rated on the whole during his time there, I think.  But they can't believe how much he has improved.  They seemed to suggest he wasn't as effective and influential going forward and he was a lot worse with his one on one defending when he played for them.  

Weirdly, I still think his defending when he is isolated is still his biggest weakness.  But he often seems to start with a bit of a wobble in that regard, then adjusts and just starts to dominate the game.  

Pulls the strings from right back and seems like a model pro.  Special player.  Absolutely love him. 

Yeah I still don't really fancy him up against anyone with pace and space in behind, but we're so organised as a collective that you rarely see any one of our defenders in that sort of isolated position. 

Every time a pundit speaks about Newcastle should be an eye-opener on their views on other clubs. Neville is consistently not clued up on us.

Carragher is by far and away the most knowledgeable of the Sky Sports lot and crucially for me, is always humble enough to concede and say 'the fans will know better than me' when he's talking about other clubs.

9 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

He's come back a much better player after working with Simeone like. I think he says that himself and you'd probably expect it. I remember me and everyone being exasperated at Southgate starting him at left back for England :lol:

Edited by Kid Icarus

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Every time a pundit speaks about Newcastle should be an eye-opener on their views on other clubs. Neville is consistently not clued up on us.

Carragher is by far and away the most knowledgeable of the Sky Sports lot and crucially for me, is always humble enough to concede and say 'the fans will know better than me' when he's talking about other clubs.

It's so true like, even Alan Smith (who I like and is quite good) said something about Shelvey "not getting many starts these days" as if he wasn't aware he was just back from a fairly serious injury. 

I don't know the ins and outs of the affairs at the other 19 PL clubs but I'd like to think if I was paid to comment then I'd at least know stuff like that. 

10 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

"Trippier will go because Gareth loves him" is so ignorant and plain stupid.

Trippier is up with TAA in terms of progression and chance creation.  He's doing that withouth Salah, Firmino el al.

Trippier is also massively better than TAA in every other department and also a leader.  

Not even a debate.

Tripps had some of the best stats going forward in the league for chance creation etc. Not just defenders either.

3 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

It's so true like, even Alan Smith (who I like and is quite good) said something about Shelvey "not getting many starts these days" as if he wasn't aware he was just back from a fairly serious injury. 

I don't know the ins and outs of the affairs at the other 19 PL clubs but I'd like to think if I was paid to comment then I'd at least know stuff like that. 

Exactly, or at least have the humility to ask rather than blag it and lose all credibility. Ally McCoist does that, if he doesn't know something, he'll ask his co-commentator and as far as I can tell, it's part of why he's one of, if not the most liked co-commentator out there.

I don't think a lot of them realise that being a slick pro isn't all it's cracked up to be and that humility and authenticity get you a long way.

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Exactly, or at least have the humility to ask rather than blag it and lose all credibility. Ally McCoist does that, if he doesn't know something, he'll ask his co-commentator and as far as I can tell, it's part of why he's one of, if not the most liked co-commentator out there.

I don't think a lot of them realise that being a slick pro isn't all it's cracked up to be and that humility and authenticity get you a long way.

McCoist is enthusiastic and charismatic as well. The anti-Lawro. 

Re Lawro I thought it was typical and hilarious that he spent 20 years being an utterly miserable cunt who was doing us a favour to attend stuff like the actual World fucking Cup, then when he was sacked off claimed it was because he was an old, white male. He was utterly insufferable and it was long overdue. 

1 minute ago, Interpolic said:

Re Lawro I thought it was typical and hilarious that he spent 20 years being an utterly miserable cunt who was doing us a favour to attend stuff like the actual World fucking Cup, then when he was sacked off claimed it was because he was an old, white male. He was utterly insufferable and it was long overdue. 

Wish Lawro could take Savage and Sutton with him.

3 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

:lol: I had a love hate relationship with Lawro, but yeah it was definitely long overdue. There are far too many like that who don't seem to like football.

He gets away with it more than others, possibly because he's one of the fart huffer podcasters but Andy Hinchcliffe needs to fuck off forever imo. Can't stand him.

Think the sad reality of football commentators, pundits and ex-players is that there are phenomenal amounts of either extremely boring or stupid people involved. Football has the most commentators and pundits compared to any other sport due to the sheer amount of interest, matches and coverage, so maybe it's a natural consequence that if you have loads of people involved they'll largely be shit. However, I do think there's something about football that promotes talentless people to prestigious roles (both in managerial positions and journalism)

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

:lol: I had a love hate relationship with Lawro, but yeah it was definitely long overdue. There are far too many like that who don't seem to like football.

He gets away with it more than others, possibly because he's one of the fart huffer podcasters but Andy Hinchcliffe needs to fuck off forever imo. Can't stand him.

Yeah he's one who thinks it's his job to just pick holes in everything. Him and the laughable Gary Birtles come to mind. They always sound so disappointed that a goal was scored when it happens, I don't understand :lol:

I’m not sure if it’s a natural consequence or if it’s just that media is extremely slow to modernise and prioritise things like tactical knowledge. 

I’d rather have a football analyst on Sky than an ex-player, for example. 

For a rich, elite league which is the national sport, the general quality of punditry is appalling in the UK. 

It doesn't help that a lot of British ex-pros, or at least the ones that want to be pundits, are dead thick. The likes of O'Hara, Agbonlahor and Warnock just come out with cliche-driven nonsense and focus mainly on grit, "the big six" and Englishness. 

Edited by Interpolic

Hope he goes, but if he plays I'm already eye rolling at the commentators making out Burn to be an actual threat when it comes to set pieces and corners. 

There's nothing to actually back it up. But every game and Burn is still made out to be Shearer in the oppositions box. 

12 minutes ago, TBG said:

Hope he goes, but if he plays I'm already eye rolling at the commentators making out Burn to be an actual threat when it comes to set pieces and corners. 

There's nothing to actually back it up. But every game and Burn is still made out to be Shearer in the oppositions box. 

Beckenbauer at the back, Jason Lee on the attack 

Saw that Sky clip this morning on SSN, and couldn't believe when they said Trippier would go (to the WC) because "Gareth loves him", which is basically to dismiss/ignore that he is arguably the best performing english RB this season.

Great to see/hear Shearer praising him on MOTD2 last night, not just for his preformaces, but the leadership he brings to the team, and also credited him with helping bring Almiron's game on, and having a hand in his improvement this season.

Edited by TK-421

50 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’d rather have a football analyst on Sky than an ex-player, for example. 

I dunno. I feel like an ex-player has the enviable attribute of having lived experience which automatically (and justifiably, imo) gives their view at least some weight. I 'care' more about what Gary Neville or Ian Wright think about Newcastle, than I do some lad in his bedroom with a decent camera and access to SofaScore. I don't care that much obviously, but I'm more likely to afford time to ex-pros because their views are legitimized by their experience. Nor am I knocking the likes of JLA, I'm just saying their place is on YouTube, not TV broadcasts. 

The problem is just that many of the ex-pros either talk utter shit, are playing some sort of character, or are just devoid of charisma. If we're comparing the alternative to the likes of Danny Murphy, Micah Richards and Joe Cole (one from each category, there) then aye, chuck whoever you want on, it wouldn't make a difference to how much I engage (i.e. very little).

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

That's the point though, isn't it? Ex-pros don't really know enough about what's happening in a football game to educate the viewer. They just did their job and now they're on TV because their name is known. 

What I'm saying is: give me an interesting and charismatic ex-pro who's already had a career in the game, over an interesting and charismatic 'football analyst' with no actual experience in football. (In a live TV broadcast setting, that is.)

Imo; Danny Murphy, Rio Ferdinand and Graeme Souness occupying our TV screens doesn't make a case for replacing ex-pros with lads from YouTube etc; it makes a case for finding better ex-pros.