Kieran Trippier: targeting return for Brighton (h) (Hope)

Yorkie

5 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Trippier

Venison

Beye

Debuchy

Watson

Hughes

Barton

Griffin 

Janmaat

Simpson

Manquillo

Krafth 

Carr 

From our senior defenders, probably missed a few but that's off the top of my head.

Bloody hell, that’s pretty much my order too - all I’d do is swap Beye and Watson’s positions. 

I’m also surprised how high some have Barton.  The lad had a huge heart, but he was a painfully mediocre FB who stood out like a sore thumb when he played in a good side.  Considering he was a British record for a defender, he always struck me as a waste of money by Keegan (who I think signed him because he seemed to have a knack of scoring vs us - KK wasn’t exactly a big one for scouting). 

4 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Scored a great volley away to Boro for us. 

Pistone also scored away at Boro. Might've been same game? There was a close up of my face on telly at one of them.

Dabizas also scored at boro around then.  While Dabizas, Domi, Helder and O'brien all scored at the mackems around then too. Our precarious defenders loved a goal down the road. 

12 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

Pistone also scored away at Boro. Might've been same game? There was a close up of my face on telly at one of them.

Dabizas also scored at boro around then.  While Dabizas, Domi, Helder and O'brien all scored at the mackems around then too. Our precarious defenders loved a goal down the road. 

Goma got his only NUFC goal at the Boro as well in 2000/01. One of the best assists ever from Cordone. 

14 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

Hughes better than Barton? No chance.

Dependably average vs occasionally very good, occasionally calamitous. Barton was a better player like, but I don’t exactly have fond memories of him

21 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m also surprised how high some have Barton.  The lad had a huge heart, but he was a painfully mediocre FB who stood out like a sore thumb when he played in a good side.  Considering he was a British record for a defender, he always struck me as a waste of money by Keegan (who I think signed him because he seemed to have a knack of scoring vs us - KK wasn’t exactly a big one for scouting). 

Barton was a weird one. He seemed to be everywhere, certainly got up and down that right flank, but I don't recall him having much of a delivery or even being an especially good defender. He never stopped running though, I guess that would make him good to play with if you were looking for someone to pass to.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Barton was a weird one. He seemed to be everywhere, certainly got up and down that right flank, but I don't recall him having much of a delivery or even being an especially good defender. He never stopped running though, I guess that would make him good to play with if you were looking for someone to pass to.

The worst was towards the end of 95/96 when the crowd had turned and the lad’s confidence was completely shot and he was a nervous wreck.  He made the rest of the back line nervous - I was at Highbury towards the end of that season and he was basically to blame for our defeat.

You’re absolutely right though, he was everywhere - he never hid, and was (and is) clearly a good character.  If we’d paid £400k instead of £4m his early career at NUFC may have gone differently. 

I was only about 6/7 so i can't remember but was there much talk about the fee at the time? 

Hefty outlay at the time and he'd not exactly proven himself at the top level. I'm sure 4m would've secured someone better. Obviously that's with hindsight.