More transfer rumours

midds

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We need a top striker who’s almost guaranteed to be fit every week. Loadsa money.

Alternatively a good enough squad to rotate now and again, also to he able to vary formation/tactics as and when.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I wouldn’t, he supposedly needed a lot of convincing to join.

Understandably so, we weren't in a very good position at the time. The summer will be different

10 minutes ago, joeyt said:

We're cutting of our nose to spit our face if we don't go for players that didn't want to join in January

Aye it's getting a bit 'if you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best' at times

2 hours ago, Papavasiliou said:

Andy Brassell makes a good point about the state of players leaving for free these days. It's all due to how much the wages are costing.

Take Juve and Dybala for example. Yeah they could offer him a new contract and yeah he'd probably take it. But if he wants a million a month for 4 years that's £48mil they're spending on him. They're basically gambling on being able to spend that money on somebody cheaper who won't be injured as much.

They're not arsed about renewing so they're able to sell him because the way they look at it he's already turned down moves previously so there's a good chance he ends up running down that new contract again.

Hopefully the era of the last big pay day-type moves is over now. Teams seem more prepared to let players in the latter years of their careers leave rather than offer them another big contract and it could set a new precedent. It used to be thought that players peaked at 28 but the athletic demands of the PL, for example, means players are at their most valuable between 20-26/7 and probably their most motivated as well, so that's rightly when they should be earning the biggest salaries of their careers. It's not really worth risking a 4 year contract for most 29 year olds, on multiple hundreds of thousands per week these days (unless you're PSG who play in a farmer's league week i week out). The likes of Salah might be an exception but even then, Liverpool don't look like they're going to bow to his demands. Interesting times!

I think it’s rather the fees are so large it makes big moves difficult. if a player wants to move it’s best to run down the contract and secure a massive wage.  

Alaba & Courtois got a big payday joining Real.  Rudiger will get a big payday and so will Mbappe. Mbappe’s impossible to sell with 2+ years on his contract.

Salah is doing the right thing for himself. Liverpool will be offering to make him the highest paid player at the club but he rightfully wants to be one of the highest paid players in the league.  

Dybala is not a consistent performer. Neither is Pogba. It’s easier to let them run down their contracts. As you say because of the wages they become unsellable because they’ll take a step down and the buying club won’t be able to afford the wages nor a fee. 

3 hours ago, joeyt said:

We're cutting off our nose to spite our face if we don't go for players that didn't want to join in January

I would agree if he was proven class at the price they where quoting, but for that price I would rather spend it on someone with a bit of a better record.

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I would agree if he was proven class at the price they where quoting, but for that price I would rather spend it on someone with a bit of a better record.

That's got nowt to do with previous stance on coming here though.

13 minutes ago, madras said:

That's got nowt to do with previous stance on coming here though.

It has, what I’m saying is that if he wasn’t convinced in January but was a proven quality player I would have no issue going back in for him.

Can't see us shopping in the PL unless there are cut price deals to be had (relegation, release clauses or out of contract), wouldn't rule out a couple of high level loans. We will just have to overpay for PL players, we will abroad but they will still be much cheaper.  We are playing coy downplaying our summer budget. I would be shocked if we don't make a "statement signing" and spend upwards of 80-100m despite letting the world know we wont be spending. So much available out of contract this year I hope we are able to take advantage of that. Kamara for a start.

A lot of people talk about Kamara from Marseille, but im not sure how much you folks have seen of him. He’s a good player and a talent for sure. However he isn’t very mobile. I think we need some mobility in midfield. Bruno is class but I think I’d like a strong runner next to him. Not necessarily a pure DM either, but one that is quite strong physically and is mobile. 

38 minutes ago, Ikon said:

A lot of people talk about Kamara from Marseille, but im not sure how much you folks have seen of him. He’s a good player and a talent for sure. However he isn’t very mobile. I think we need some mobility in midfield. Bruno is class but I think I’d like a strong runner next to him. Not necessarily a pure DM either, but one that is quite strong physically and is mobile. 

Then who are a better option than a "free" Kamara?

50 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Kamara would seem ideal for a double pivot with Bruno.

1 minute ago, madras said:

Kamara would seem ideal for a double pivot with Bruno.

Apart from him not being very mobile I would agree. That’s why I’m not sure he’d be our best choice. 

I haven’t seen very much of him admittedly. Maybe 10 games or similar. But it’s been pretty obvious to me that he isn’t very mobile. Maybe I’m wrong and he hasn’t been fit in those games or whatever.  I don’t think he’d be an awful signing or anything. Also it seems he’s A.Madrid bound. 

Edited by Ikon

16 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Apart from him not being very mobile I would agree. That’s why I’m not sure he’d be our best choice. 

I think saying he's not very mobile is a bit harsh btw. He's not box to box cos that's not his role, reads the game well, blocks men off, very good in possession, very much the modern slightly defensive centre mid.

29 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Bissouma is maybe a better fit, but we have so much to do in the forward line that its impossible to say no if Kamara is an option. Dont think we have a very good chance to sign him.  

Edited by nufc123