More transfer rumours

midds

Something like:

Lloyd Kelly 

Lucas Paqueta

Ismaila Sarr 

Jonathan David

Could be a tasty/realistic haul.

If we're after a CDM, Boubacar Kamara could be an obvious but perhaps unrealistic choice, given the clubs allegedly in for him. If not, I'm a massive fan of Nicolas Dominguez.

Edited by The Prophet

23 minutes ago, STM said:

Get Targett, then spend 90m on 4 quality players right through the spine: GK, CB, CM, ST. Once they are done we can wheel and deal with a few outgoings, see if we can get a decent RW.

I'm convinced we will get at least 1 quality player on a free early doors.

I would say RW is almost as important as a striker for us, certainly more so than a new CB currently 

I'd be perfectly happy with a CB, CM and 3 forward players as long as they're bought to start, not interested in squad players (the current starters can take a step down). The main issue is the lack of talent in the final third where it matters and that's no surprise given these players tend to be the most expensive, the squad has limped along for the last decade and it needs to change. No problem with bringing in youth and potential but immediate improvement needs to be the priority right now and that means signing starters for £30m+, these are not huge sums these days, they're the going rate, thinking a £30m player is a dream/windfall/marquee signing is a legacy of the Ashley era. We need to move on from that. 

We need to start punching our weight. We're not Brentford or Southampton or Crystal Palace, we're Newcastle United and we need to start acting like it. Sounds arrogant I know, but they all hate us anyway, fuck them. 

5 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

How do people feel about the idea of selling Wilson if we got a good fee? I'd consider it tbh. I love him but he's only been available for less than 50% of the games he's been at the club for and that is incredibly poor. 41 PL appearances out of a possible 105.

On the other hand, 50% availability of a top class striker is maybe better than an 80% availability of a poor one. We don't actually have any good strikers at the club apart from Wilson, we'd have to buy two more to consider selling him. Wold the fee for a 30 year old injury prone striker be worth it?

10 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

How do people feel about the idea of selling Wilson if we got a good fee? I'd consider it tbh. I love him but he's only been available for less than 50% of the games he's been at the club for and that is incredibly poor. 41 PL appearances out of a possible 105.

I'd sell almost any of our players who were here pre-takeover and Wood from January too if we got decent fees. This could be the optimal time to sell some of them due to their upturn in form under Howe as opposed to what they were worth under Bruce. 

Edited by macphisto

11 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

That's some hefty outlay on strikers needed if we sold Wilson. Like, starting from scratch hefty. I don't see how we'd get a fee big enough that's worth that risk.

I can't see how we purchase more than two strikers but at least that means we shouldn't be reliant on him staying fit. Keep him for another year for competition before moving him on next summer after another arrival or two up top. 

I know they’re probably wrong but seeing the likes of Pogba & even Bale come on Frees would be exciting as fuck. I know we might only get 20-25 games out of Bale but he’d still get 8 or so goals in those games. Him & ASM either side of a new striker with Joelinton, Bruno & Pogba as a midfield three. :lol:

26 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I know they’re probably wrong but seeing the likes of Pogba & even Bale come on Frees would be exciting as fuck. I know we might only get 20-25 games out of Bale but he’d still get 8 or so goals in those games. Him & ASM either side of a new striker with Joelinton, Bruno & Pogba as a midfield three. :lol:

Recipe for disaster imo :lol: (i know you know that they're wong). We would become a underperforming circus and laughing stock. Go for the best 18-25 year olds around europe with the world at their feet, with hunger and good character. Maybe with an old head or two to balance it up (if they have the right mindset like Trippier for example)

Edited by Ikon

11 hours ago, STM said:

Get Targett, then spend 90m on 4 quality players right through the spine: GK, CB, CM, ST. Once they are done we can wheel and deal with a few outgoings, see if we can get a decent RW.

I'm convinced we will get at least 1 quality player on a free early doors.

Less than 25m per player doesn’t typically get you very far these days.  

Guest HTT II

Wilson is worth keeping, he scores goals when fit, I’d keep Wood too. We need one star quality forward IMO to make the difference. An attacking right sided winger or forward would be most welcome alongside another CB and a CM. I’m not fussed on the ‘keeper just now, it’s the last of our priorities. 

Bare in mind, even with this squad Eddie Howe would have us close to a top 10 finish, which is confirmed if you look at the form guide since he took over and since we signed a few players in January.

It makes perfect sense to me that we would look for quality over quantity.

I suspect we will make most of our transfers from abroad, since we will get no value in this market.

8 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’m not thinking we will buy 3 strikers that are good enough to contribute immediately. We’ll still need Wilson. 

Agreed.

Howe is definitely more evolution than revolution and will want to blend new blood with the existing team. 

I don't think Wilson could complain about warming the bench.

He's so good for us that when fit he always plays, until he gets injured again. It would be good to share the burden a bit with another striker (or two).

He'll be more than aware of his own injury record, so I'm sure you could sell it to him as proper game management for a change, to keep him fit and ultimately playing for longer.

I'd definitely keep Wilson. My temptation would be to use him as a tried and trusted fallback, and gamble on a potential sensation like Ekitike. If Howe likes Lingard, him on a free would also add proven quality and flexibility across the front line.

I wonder what the Eddie Howe masterplan is. The 4-3-3 is working well, but may not be the intended destination. If so, the midfield situation completely changes.

Just on the "Project", but if the next target is is Top 8, that should be possible without smashing the wage structure at this point. There will be clamour for big names in the summer and lots of agents and websites putting our name out there for attention, but I don't think we need big earners just yet. An overall strengthening, organization and squad unity should get us to that goal. Getting into the Top 4 is when you start needing superstars.

What’s the current wage structure?

Bruno is our highest paid player.  If we are secure in the PL we could go for an even better calibre of player. Raphinha or Nunez would smash our transfer record and subsequently our wages. 

I think any player we sign now should have the potential to be a top 6 player unless they’re coming to fill a gap.