More transfer rumours

midds

Just now, gdm said:

Diaby as I think the club know we

need a winger and don’t seem to be targeting another midfielder 

We’ve been linked a fair bit to Sucic, a CM, as well as lots of CMs playing in France.

If we can get Paqueta we have to take the opportunity. If he goes to say Arsenal, we’ll not be signing him at all (unless he flops). If we can also get Broja on loan then job done for me.

I can live with Fraser for another half/ full season, Paqueta potentially transforms our midfield and crucially will increase our options in midfield.

Shelvey has done well but you know what you’re going to get and he can’t exchange midfield positions. I get the feeling that Bruno and Paqueta could exchange and do so during a game if we needed to change things around.

An upgrade on the right wing would be nice, an upgrade in midfield could be transformational.

Get a decent striker in on top and we have a top 10 side and possible a little more.

Edited by Tsunami

32 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If the budget allowed only one marquee signing and both Diaby and Paqueta were up for the move, who would you go for?

I would love to see Michael Olise. I think it is possible that we get two 40m players and another two young players either on loan or for cheap. We have currently spent about 66m + 80m (Michael Olise and Paqueta) + 20m (a young central forward and defensive midfielder) = 166m without counting potential outgoings. Seems reasonable.

11 minutes ago, Manxst said:

We’ve been linked a fair bit to Sucic, a CM, as well as lots of CMs playing in France.

And Eriksen, and Tielemans. That creative midfield position definitely seems to be one that we are after if those links were correct.

45 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

If the budget allowed only one marquee signing and both Diaby and Paqueta were up for the move, who would you go for?

Diaby. Because in any other position in the team we have players capable of something. In the RW position there are nobody. Not aiming at you but dont come with the piss like Almiron work hard and knows how to press. Ditto Fraser. They are attacking players and there are nothing from that position.

1 minute ago, nufc123 said:

Diaby. Because in any other position in the team we have players capable of something. In the RW position there are nobody. Not aiming at you but dont come with the piss like Almiron work hard and knows how to press. Ditto Fraser. They are attacking players and there are nothing from that position.

With better players to aim for may the be at least as good options as Longstaff or Willock for right of a middle 3 ?

I’d be more than happy with Fraser and Miggy dueling it out at RW for half a season if Paqueta is signed. Further if they decide to play him Rw, willock plays in the midfield 3. 

3 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Aye, I guess it would come down to what gets you more points from:

Paqueta---Bruno---Joelinton

Fraser---Wilson---ASM

Or...

Bruno---Shelvey---Joelinton 

Diaby---Wilson---ASM

7 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Yes. Howe is not dropping Shelvey. Shelvey, Joelinton, Bruno vs Almiron, Fraser, Murphy. Wich one is most terrible?

Why would he not drop Shelvey.

Howe will be ruthless when he needs to be.

10 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Yes. Howe is not dropping Shelvey. Shelvey, Joelinton, Bruno vs Almiron, Fraser, Murphy. Wich one is most terrible?

Hang on how do you get those line ups ? Are you just naming 3 better players and 3 worse ones and sating choose when it's nothing like that.

1 minute ago, madras said:

Hang on how do you get those line ups ? Are you just naming 3 better players and 3 worse ones and sating choose when it's nothing like that.

The point is all of the midfielders mentioned are capable. The RW is a big problem position.

22 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It was meant to be a hypothetical scenario, but never mind.

I was referring to the suggestion that we're not targeting a CM.

In relation to the hypothetical scenario, I'd be more gutted if we missed out on Paqueta, so I'd take Paqueta.

2 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

The point is all of the midfielders mentioned are capable. The RW is a big problem position.

No. You saw how we improved with Bruno instead of Shelvey instead of Bruno further forward. We'll not dictate possession with Shelvey there as he can't move with the ball anywhere near good enough. With Pacqueta and a forward anyone playing wide right gerts more options, it's not ideal but neither is Shelvey as the holding player or Longstaff to Brunos right.

FWIW I would bet if we get Paqueta we'd still get someone for the right.

1 minute ago, nufc123 said:

The current midfield do not control the game enough, they don't create enough chances and they don't score enough goals. That midfield we have, will continue in the same vain. Even if we get Diaby, the wingers still have to have consistent service (especially from midfield) to have an impact.

7 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Who will take his place? Only Bruno if they are switching things up.

Which is exactly why Bruno was brought in, to be that central playmaker, to help dominate possession and transition the ball.

Who will take his place? Only Bruno if they are switching things up.

That’s a far bigger upgrade than Diaby for Fraser at the present time. We then have Paqueta, an established Brazil starter, in Bruno’s position and we still have Bruno. Shelvey is very 1 dimensional, not the best athlete and he restricts us. We’ve got to get the best out there when we can. Diaby can wait.

If Fraser can stay fit and get a run he’s shown he can do ok. IMO we’ll be far stronger with Paqueta than Diaby. Also would like to think Paqueta would want to come and settle better,

Just now, madras said:

No. You saw how we improved with Bruno instead of Shelvey instead of Bruno further forward. We'll not dictate possession with Shelvey there as he can't move with the ball anywhere near good enough. With Pacqueta and a forward anyone playing wide right gerts more options, it's not ideal but neither is Shelvey as the holding player or Longstaff to Brunos right.

FWIW I would bet if we get Paqueta we'd still get someone for the right.

Doesnt matter if they dont have the brain or ability. Something they have showed time after time they dont. Fraser is lacking speed. Almiron never looks up (1 goal!). Why would Almiron and Fraser increase their goals and assists with Paqueta? Its like putting Joelinton upfront and add Paqueta saying he would get double figures. It aint happening.

Doesnt matter if they dont have the brain or ability. Something they have showed time after time they dont. Fraser is lacking speed. Almiron never looks up (1 goal!). Why would Almiron and Fraser increase their goals and assists with Paqueta? Its like putting Joelinton upfront and add Paqueta saying he would get double figures. It aint happening.

They'd increase because they'd have Paqueta and Wilson to play  with as opposed to Longstaff/Willock and Wilson and because wed have more of the ball with Bruno.in the middle than Shelvey.