More transfer rumours

midds

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

We need a winger as well. Can’t keep playing Miggy/Fraser. We need to upgrade there. 

Striker, RW, CB and LB our priority targets according to the athletic this morning. Also want a ball playing midfielder 

we all love Bruno, but he played with Paqueta and or Aouar ahead of him. In the National side he has always had more attacking guys further forward which has brought the best out of him. Do we need a defensive midfielder? Sure we do. But then you take the machine that is Joelinton out of the side. Which is fine, but he’s also massively needed for the physicality and pace of the Pl. he covers insane ground and does more defensive work than most box to box. 

7 minutes ago, Kanji said:

And I’ll say it on repeat - Paqueta is transformational in how we play. More so than anyone else we could ever sign from mid to forward. 

Dont agree. Signing a RW with double figures goals/assists would transform us as much as Paqueta.

43 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Dont agree. Signing a RW with double figures goals/assists would transform us as much as Paqueta.

If you can’t control the midfield you’ll resort to counter only football which is what we do with Maxi. 

9 minutes ago, Kanji said:

If you can’t control the midfield you’ll resort to counter only football which is what we do with Maxi. 

We can get better in midfield, but the current midfield has shown its more than just counter football. Going from 1-2 goals to 10 from the wing is something different.

To elaborate on the above, priority positions: 

Left back - it goes without saying that we need one. Whether it's Targett or a player with a bit more quality going forward, we can't be relying on Lewis, Burn and Dummet.

Centre midfield - Shelvey is by a distance the week link in the midfield. While he is grafting a lot more, he's still doesn't have enough energy off the ball and he wants the it where Bruno does. Formation and how we play Bruno will dictate what kind of midfielder we go for, but I'd argue it's a higher priority than centre back.

Right wing - we can't keep slotting square pegs in round holes. We need a winger who carries goal threat and takes some of the burden off ASM. It'll add far more balance to the first eleven.

Striker - whether we go for a high profile goal scorer or a young lad with potential, we need an alternative to Wilson. He's a class striker when fit, but he simply can't manage 38 games a season.

4 hours ago, Kanji said:

we all love Bruno, but he played with Paqueta and or Aouar ahead of him. In the National side he has always had more attacking guys further forward which has brought the best out of him. Do we need a defensive midfielder? Sure we do. But then you take the machine that is Joelinton out of the side. Which is fine, but he’s also massively needed for the physicality and pace of the Pl. he covers insane ground and does more defensive work than most box to box. 

Joelinton is quick and strong, and his ball winning stats are impressive, but his passing stats are shockingly bad! His progressive passing is at the 10th percentile for example. Passing and ball control is the core skill of midfielders, not pace or physicality. There are numerous world-class midfielders who are slow and small, and that’s because of their great passing, vision, and ball control. You will never find a top team with a midfielder who is bad at passing, even their box to box midfielders must have great passing skills as a minimum. 

If Eddie wants to play possession-based tactics, then we must get a trio in midfield who can do that. Joe can be good if we play counter attack based tactics. 

the type of players we should get all depends on how Eddie intends to play. 

Edited by Solitude20

If Paqueta signs then the budget must be about £200m, given that priorities surely lie elsewhere.

Obviously he’s a huge improvement on what we have - but there’s huge improvements that could be made pretty much everywhere.  LB, RW, CF - and CB - still look like areas in need of more attention to me.  No complaints if we strengthen all of them, mind.

After a decade and a half, you forget what it’s like to have the club actually targeting strengthening positions rather than back-of-fag-packet calculations on resale proftivs

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

If Paqueta signs then the budget must be about £200m, given that priorities surely lie elsewhere.

Obviously he’s a huge improvement on what we have - but there’s huge improvements that could be made pretty much everywhere.  LB, RW, CF - and CB - still look like areas in need of more attention to me.  No complaints if we strengthen all of them, mind.

After a decade and a half, you forget what it’s like to have the club actually targeting strengthening positions rather than back-of-fag-packet calculations on resale proftivs

Which isn't out of the FFP realm. Those numbers could work.

It may be tactically naive, but I'd rather have a full on AM in the midfield three than ditch Targett for more creativity from LB. It's not absolutely essential to play 4-3-3 in the same way as Liverpool.

Just on the list of realistic wide forwards available in 2023 but I do not see why Rashford would not be "realistic" for us now.

On the basis of performanes last season, I'd be more than happy with this starting 11.

Dubs

Trippier Schar Burn Targett

Bruno Joelinton

Cannibaga

Almiron  Wilson     ASM

I'd climb a mountain for Cannibaga and we have our St.Bruno to help us.

J. David. 

ASM.                            Diaby.

Paqueta.

Big Joe.     Bruno.

Lodi.                              Trippier.

Botman.     Schar.

Hendo.

giddyup

Edited by Tomato Deuce

18 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Need someone better than Miggy as much as like him 

I don't disagree, just saying I'd be happy with that.

I imagine it would look like this in attack

Dubs

Schar    Burn       Targett

Bruno

Trippier Almiron Cannibaga Joelinton ASM

Wilson

4 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah prob 2 at that position 

Honestly think (not saying one window either), we need a new number 1 striker (can't count on Wilson to be on the pitch), left and right wing players, number 10/attacking midfielder, defensive midfielder, centre half and left back. That has to happen imo, to really push onto the next level, which I'm pretty certain the owners will provide for, in the next few windows coming up.