Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

6 hours ago, nufcjb said:

Heard from a friend that Sky showed a stat pre-match about Wood and he was 1st in the PL in three areas. What was that about? Didn't catch it.

Headers

Ariel duels won

Flick ons

(I think)

His contribution has helped us avoid relegation so worth the 25mill. We spent 96 mill in total and those players have been instrumental in keeping us up. Bruno is probably worth 50% more now than what we paid, Taggart is a steal.

Good business all round and a start to the rebuild which will probably take 5 years

2 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Shame it didn’t follow up with the % of those won which actually reach a team mate and are therefore of any use - probably something like 5.8%.

Yup, have said as much previously in this thread. He doesn't seem to comprehend that defenders will be giving him a nudge in his back for every contested ball. They don't care if he wins the header, because it'll just be a flick on to the other team's centre backs.

9 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Pretty sure we could get £10-12m from someone like Norwich, WBA, Watford in the summer. Thank him for his efforts and move on.

Why would he leave?

We talk about being ruthless with players who have been here a bit too long.

Same mentality unfortunately needs to be adhered to here. Thanks for the effort but you're not going to get the game time going forward.

Just now, The Prophet said:

It depends how many forwards we intend to sign. If we bring two in, we can look to get rid and recoup some of cash we paid for him.

We 100% should be looking at bolstering that position with a couple additions as Wilson although class, is not to be relied on for a full season.

And if we need to start falling back on wood then :anguish::pedro:

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It depends how many forwards we intend to sign. If we bring two in, we can look to get rid and recoup some of cash we paid for him.

I'd imagine/hope a marquee type signing and maybe Ekitike? (sp) 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

He's been worse in front of goal than expected. And I wasn't expecting much.

Yeah, wasn't expecting 20 goals but thought he might have a couple more by this point than he does (yesterday being a good example of chances wasted). 

Overall, disappointing and hope he gets shipped to make room for better, along with Gayle. 

I thought he would be a lot better than he has been. On the whole he has been very poor with the ball and in finishing the chances he's had. He's won physical battles and helped us defensively but apart from the two goals that's about all I can say.

I just can't bring myself to give him too much of a hard time because at the end of the day he's kept trying, stepped up to take that pen against Wolves and scored it which was such a high pressure important moment, and generally seems like a good professional with a team ethic and liked by his colleagues.

He hasn't been good enough to move forward with, and will probably be our third choice striker next season (if he's even still here) therefore will not get on the pitch very often. Given that, while I can understand people getting frustrated watching him, it feels a bit unnecessary to generate negative energy dragging the guy over the coals and disrespecting him when the squad which he is a part of has been so good since Howe's arrival.

Maybe I'm just getting a bit soft in my older age I don't know :lol:

He’s a nuisance for defenders but I don’t even think he’s winning the physical battles. If he does get a head on it it’s rarely directed to an NUFC player joining the attack. As a ‘hold up forward’ he’s been mostly ineffective. A few years ago he was decent at getting on the shoulder of the last defender, looked a bit more mobile and direct. He’s Frank Pingelesque now.

I’m satisfied, overall, with what he has done for us. Especially without the ball. But I’ll be surprised and extremely disappointed if he is in or near the starting line-up next season. Had his chance to show he can be a ‘force majeure’ in the box and failed to do so. 

17 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’m not convinced he really made that much difference to whether we stayed up or not TBH. 

I can can understand why we had to go for him but in the end it’s closer to a bad signing than a good one. 

Not sure if he’ll even be useful off the bench next season. Maybe to rest the main striker in games we’re already winning. 

He gave us a structure to work on in preparation for the Watford and Leeds games, after an abysmal performance against Cambridge, from a team that included Kieran  Trippier.

From that Athletic article:

"Howe cites the 1-0 win at relegation rivals Leeds on January 22 as the “massive turning point”. Newcastle were 19th, two points adrift and as encouraged as he was by the “buy-in” from players, he knew he required wins to retain their faith in his methods."

We don't win that game, IMO, if we delay the signing of a forward.

Edited by Happinesstan

I think that at Burnley, Wood played in a sort of twin battering rams type strikers with Barnes. With us he has been on his own,  totally isolated, tasked with just trying to hold the ball up and be a general nuisance. He's worked his socks off but isn't good enough as the lone striker

Guest HTT II

I’ve heard we will be looking to keep Wood and sell Wilson on, with two new forwards coming in…

Guest HTT II
10 minutes ago, PeepShow4life said:

I hope your source is bad :(

I think the club see him as someone they can get decent money for still and that he’s not reliable injury wise, Howe’s post Mach reaction after City hints to a few “fan faves” leaving. Wilson, ASM and Almiron to be sold in the summer IMO.

Guest HTT II

FWIW I’d keep him, he scores goals and is a great character, it’s just we can’t rely on his fitness.