Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

23 hours ago, Barnes23 said:

You simply aren't getting a midfielder of that quality in the market right now, with FFP strings loosened or not. 

This is never true.

Just like when we signed him for £30 million when we were looking like getting relegated there will be others out there.

Tha hard bit is being good enough to identify them.

18 hours ago, mondonewc said:

Strikers are just so rare though these days that I think Isak has to be the most irreplaceable player we have, Bruno would be very tough to replace, Isak I think is literally impossible, there's nobody even close to his level that would consider signing for us, too few top class Strikers and too many teams looking for one. Bruno's likely our most important player, but not most irreplaceable for me. 

Again, this just isn't true.

It only seems to be the case because we're either not as familiar with potential replacements, or their abilities are being underrated, similar to how Isak was when we signed him, and a bunch of people were claiming he wasn't a goal scorer due to his record the season before in Spain.

Bruno is easily a better player than Isak overall. Isak’s ceiling is unlimited. But like I’ve always said, he is inconsistent and always has been. He’s very up and down and that is what is keeping him away from being proper proper world class at the biggest stage on a regular basis. Like many over here say, he is so so talented and good at times tans despite admitting he has done very well he can/should be even better overall. That’s how talented he is. Injuries haven’t helped of course, but it’s mostly mentality that is “holding him back” from what he can truly be. Having said that, strikers might be more difficult to replace. We won’t see Bruno’s real level until he plays for a side like City for example. That is when he will take that last step and everyone will be even more in awe. 

51 minutes ago, Paully said:

He’s our best player and he’s an amazing person - the player I’d sacrifice last - as much as I love Isak - Bruno is the glue!

Captaincy to make that leaving decision that little bit harder (I believe he’s here for the next season as a minimum).

30 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Bruno is easily a better player than Isak overall. Isak’s ceiling is unlimited. But like I’ve always said, he is inconsistent and always has been. He’s very up and down and that is what is keeping him away from being proper proper world class at the biggest stage on a regular basis. Like many over here say, he is so so talented and good at times tans despite admitting he has done very well he can/should be even better overall. That’s how talented he is. Injuries haven’t helped of course, but it’s mostly mentality that is “holding him back” from what he can truly be. Having said that, strikers might be more difficult to replace. We won’t see Bruno’s real level until he plays for a side like City for example. That is when he will take that last step and everyone will be even more in awe. 

Even with all of his great attributes as a player, the best thing about Bruno is his durability and fitness. Mostly always available and plays with high energy.

Edited by KaKa

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

It only seems to be the case because we're either not as familiar with potential replacements, or their abilities are being underrated, similar to how Isak was when we signed him, and a bunch of people were claiming he wasn't a goal scorer due to his record the season before in Spain.

Can you give a few examples then of who we could sign that could replace Isak?

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

I agree, we've never had a problem signing strikers since being in the Premier league. 

Even under Ashley we managed some great strikers, not all great, a few fillers here and there, but some very good ones.

With strikers it's about risk reward, some just work, others may not, clubs have gambled on a striker at a few million or a few hundred thousand and they've turned out insane, whereas there's times you spend over the odds 30+ million, and they're total fails.

Kévin Denkey a relatively unknown, could end up like Lois Openda? RB Leipzig/Dortmund are sides who dare to take players young and put them to the test.

I would hope the club could persuade Bruno and isak to do one more year and if it doesn't meet expectations on a club and personal level then they have the clubs blessing to go the season after. 

But if we get our act together in terms of recruitment and keeping players fit (lessons learned you'd hope) then we make it harder for them to leave. 

Bring the best of the Saudi players over now to play with him and push for top 4 next year.

Saudi Pro League is a failed project, sell them on the cheap to Newcastle now.

20 minutes ago, BrianSwan said:

Bring the best of the Saudi players over now to play with him and push for top 4 next year.

Saudi Pro League is a failed project, sell them on the cheap to Newcastle now.

The 4D chess move :)

34 minutes ago, mondonewc said:

Kevin Denkey

Mohamed Amoura

Jonathan David

Benjamin Sesko

Brian Brobbey 

Rafa Mujica

Viktor Gyokeres

Then there would be hundreds already on a list that would be cheap that would be risks, but we are not a club like Dortmund or RB, who are daring. 

And equally there will be lots that are very expensive or close to end of contracts with reputation, that again would be a risk, because like Nkunku currently, Warner, many others that turn up in the PL it doesn't always go to plan.

Fernando Torres great for one club, terrible for another.

14 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Kevin Denkey

Mohamed Amoura

Jonathan David

Benjamin Sesko

Brian Brobbey 

Rafa Mujica

Viktor Gyokeres

Then there would be hundreds already on a list that would be cheap that would be risks, but we are not a club like Dortmund or RB, who are daring. 

And equally there will be lots that are very expensive or close to end of contracts with reputation, that again would be a risk, because like Nkunku currently, Warner, many others that turn up in the PL it doesn't always go to plan.

Fernando Torres great for one club, terrible for another.

100's who can replace Isak??? Guess we have very different opinions on how good Isak is!

I’d say Isak is close to irreplaceable in terms of talent, Bruno is close to irreplaceable in terms of attitude. His talent is extremely difficult to replace as well 

7 minutes ago, mondonewc said:

100's who can replace Isak??? Guess we have very different opinions on how good Isak is!

Yes there will be hundreds on a database, but I said would be risks. 

You struggle to understand that?

What do you think happened when Dortmund first took Isak from AIK?

I don't think you understood the points I was making, in previous post, and previous reply to @KaKa

Edited by mighty__mag

1 hour ago, mondonewc said:

No, that's the recruitment teams job.

Sure, I could mention some strikers I like, but it will be easy for people to simply reply they are not good enough, as is the typical response. Isak was deemed an unreliable goal scorer and a big risk when we signed him for £60 million. It has since worked out very differently though.

30 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Yes there will be hundreds on a database, but I said would be risks. 

You struggle to understand that?

What do you think happened when Dortmund first took Isak from AIK?

I don't think you understood the points I was making, in previous post, and previous reply to @KaKa

Well the discussion I'm having is who would be viable candidates to replace Isak should he be sold, and outside of Haaland, Isak is arguably the best Striker in the league right now with significantly higher potential, in my opinion. You're suggesting that there are hundreds of candidates on a database, albeit with risk, and I think that's a very questionable statement. I think suggesting it would be a risk to find a like for like replacement for Isak who's of similar ability with 100's of other players is inaccurate, I think that number is much, much lower for realistic targets who are even close to the level that he's at, and those who fit the bill will all be targets for bigger clubs than us, and that's the point of concern for me, thus my suggestion he's arguably irreplaceable. 

Edited by mondonewc

Bruno is our best ever midfielder in the PL era whereas Isak is debatably our third best striker.

Bruno would start for any team in the world, Isak wouldn't.

That's not to say Isak can't become the player we all think he can be, but he's still a lot of potential right now wheras Bruno is pretty much the finished article.

1 minute ago, HawK said:

Ferdinand

Fair enough. I think Isak’s ability exceeds Ferdinand’s by a distance but Ferdinand was an incredibly good goalscorer. He was like a better, fitter version of Callum Wilson who was also better in the air. Isak offers the team more than just goals. If Isak’s here next season he’ll move past Ferdinand unless he has injuries that keep him out for large parts of the season