Dan Burn

Rich

55 minutes ago, Joseph said:

Targett's a deeply average Premier League left-back and Burn is something else entirely. Do people think it's a coincidence/a bit of luck that we have the tightest defence in the league with this set up?  

Deeply average?? He’s been a solid 7/10 every game he’s played for us I’d say 

4 minutes ago, Joseph said:

How many teams in the league would he start for?

We also had a great defence last season when he played and got a lot of 1-0 victories. Why all of a sudden is it trendy to slag off these players?

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

We also had a great defence last season when he played and got a lot of 1-0 victories. Why all of a sudden is it trendy to slag off these players?

I find it really strange as well - worry about some on here when we have an inevitable bad run. Everything is so binary and anti-nuance in the social media age.

31 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Which players are you talking about? I just don’t particularly rate Matty Targett - not a big deal.

Targett would almost certainly have come on yesterday, had he been fit, as he almost did in the Bournemouth cup game in similar circumstances.

Genuinely love Burn as a bloke, but he’s vying with Longstaff in the “weakest link” stakes at the minute in terms of his overall contribution to our play.

We’re only going to encounter more opponents like Leeds, so having more capacity to attack down the left is going to be critical. He had 72 touches yesterday, trailing only Trippier, Schär, and Bruno. You don’t really want someone so limited having so much of the ball.

I understand that defensively it’s impossible to argue with the collective performance of the back four, but I think the way we play and how good Pope is has almost as much to do with the clean sheets as anything.

4 hours ago, Rich said:

I understand that defensively it’s impossible to argue with the collective performance of the back four, but I think the way we play and how good Pope is has almost as much to do with the clean sheets as anything.

Cannot be underestimated how much our press, coupled with Almiron, Jow, Longstaff and Bruno tracking back, does to stifle attacks before they even get close to our defence. Now sides are playing in low blocks against us too which reduces the amount of chances they have too

Edited by gbandit

On 21/12/2022 at 19:16, Minhosa said:

Have been a big fan of his since he signed but thought he was poor last night and offers fuck all offensively.

Personally, I'd be looking to bring in a full back who can offer more going forward.

I think Howe plays him because Trippier is vulnerable aerially and Burn isn't so, Burn's aerial strength is offset by his lack of contribution going forwards whereas Trippier is the opposite. He's vulnerable to a long diagonal ball over the top but he offers much more going forward.

I wonder if we're now in the marker for an attacking left back who's taller than average?

The amount of opportunies Burn had last night to whip a ball in and he didn't even look like he fancied it was criminal.

I'd have hooked him for Targett even before Willock was subbed tbh.

Last night really suited Targett imho, far more than Burn, so I can only assume he stays on/in for his aerial prowess.

Still of the same view. Burn's limitations going forward could cost us as more opposition teams come and dig in.

Interestingly Trippier continues to get targetted aerially. Strange that opposition coaches continue to take that approach given, even when Trippier does get beaten, Schar is often on hand to clean up/support.

All in all, this is a priority position for improvement imho.

4 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

:lol: That was our best chance and not seen it mentioned too many times. 

I thought it was too far behind him from first viewing but I've not seen a replay since. He didn't give a big reaction which indicates to me it wasn't a big chance as some thought.