Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

I've never really been a Targett fan.  He's just an average footballer with slightly less than average pace so he will never be good enough for a top eight team.  Contrast him with Trippier who although not particularly quick, more than makes up for that with his high technical ability and speed of mind.

If Targett is average what is Burn? 

I dont see much difference between thdm, Burn is better defensively but we were so predictable last year as everything went down the right as Burn gets a nosebleed if he goes past the half way line. 

At least Targett can defent decent and is better going forward.

Id have Targett LB over Burn this year and look to prioritise this as a position to upgrade in next 12 months

On Burn I thought he went through a period where he struggled, around the time our form dipped as a team pre league cup final. I thought he was absolutely fine for the run in though. Obviously we could improve that position, I just don’t think the club have found anyone available at a decent price.

36 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Always confused when I come in some threads. Has anyone said Targett or burn are bad and they want rid? Or are people just saying we could upgrade them easier than some other players? 

People are very defensive of players these days. Nothing out of order suggesting left back is the weakest area in the starting line up and should be upgraded.

40 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Always confused when I come in some threads. Has anyone said Targett or burn are bad and they want rid? Or are people just saying we could upgrade them easier than some other players? 

They were both called "average" in a post above. Which is clear bollocks. They are good players. 

Also, left back is arguably the hardest position to upgrade. I've asked countless times for realistic suggestions, I've barely seen one decent one.

5 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

People are very defensive of players these days. Nothing out of order suggesting left back is the weakest area in the starting line up and should be upgraded.

I agree that it's the weakest of the 11 positions but that doesn't make it WEAK and that's the distinction I'm trying to make.

You can want a better left back without throwing mud around at our current players.

Also, some might argue that some of our second choice players such as Lascelles are a bigger issue, should injuries arise.

Both are good players with their own strengths and weaknesses but Burn clearly is very vocal and always seems to be letting players know what he thinks they should be doing. Whether the advice is good or bad is another thing but I imagine it is good. Targett is very quiet in comparison.

53 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Aye.  I think both Targett and Burn are good midtable players.  Both clubs we bought them from are fair enough to think they would take the money and get upgrades on them with most of that fee. 

Edited by The College Dropout

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye.  I think both Targett and Burn are good midtable players.  Both clubs we bought them from are fair enough to think they would take the money and get upgrades on them with most of that fee. 

Whilst I agree that in essence, they are "mid table" ish players, I think from a strategic point of view we don't want to be just signing players that are a slight improvement.

I think we all agree that our next left back needs to be an absolute worldy and tick all of the boxes.

I think it will take 40m+ and the right player to enter the market.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

I wouldn’t sell Burn under any reasonable circumstance. 

But if we sold Targett for what we bought him for.  Surely we could get a solid upgrade for £5-10m more.  Moreno at Villa was £14m and Estupinian was £18m. 

This is the issue though. I don't think we want "solid upgrades". Everything I've seen suggests we want to go for a potential future star.

17 minutes ago, STM said:

I agree that it's the weakest of the 11 positions but that doesn't make it WEAK and that's the distinction I'm trying to make.

You can want a better left back without throwing mud around at our current players.

Also, some might argue that some of our second choice players such as Lascelles are a bigger issue, should injuries arise.

Thing is though, if we get a new left back then Burn would be available as a CB second choice more often.

Edited by Erikse

1 minute ago, STM said:

Whilst I agree that in essence, they are "mid table" ish players, I think from a strategic point of view we don't want to be just signing players that are a slight improvement.

I think we all agree that our next left back needs to be an absolute worldy and tick all of the boxes.

I think it will take 40m+ and the right player to enter the market.

There’s a big gap in performance and ability from ‘absolute worldie’ and Matt Targett (and Burn). Too big. 

2 minutes ago, STM said:

This is the issue though. I don't think we want "solid upgrades". Everything I've seen suggests we want to go for a potential future star.

I disagree. I’d take Moreno or Estupiñán in a heartbeat. For the fees they signed for, they could double their value easily which is great for FFP. And they would be good upgrade on Targett. 

I think Burn is different. He’s a leader. Affinity with the club and fans. And a harder profile to replace. 

But Targett is more straight forward to upgrade imo. If you wouldn’t sell Targett for £15m and sign Moreno for £14m or Estupiñán for £18m… I just don’t understand the logic. 

He definitely needs minutes in his legs more than others to judge his decline properly since his injury.

As it stands though he looks a yard slower which he couldn’t afford as was never the quickest but good at reading and timing a tackle so hopefully he hasn’t completely lost that. Always seems calm on the ball and unflustered regardless of the atmosphere. Away to Everton for example he never seemed rushed or panicked.

See where he’s at come January and what competitions we are still in but maybe next on the saleable assets list you’d imagine.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I disagree. I’d take Moreno or Estupiñán in a heartbeat. For the fees they signed for, they could double their value easily which is great for FFP. And they would be good upgrade on Targett. 

I think Burn is different. He’s a leader. Affinity with the club and fans. And a harder profile to replace. 

But Targett is more straight forward to upgrade imo. If you wouldn’t sell Targett for £15m and sign Moreno for £14m or Estupiñán for £18m… I just don’t understand the logic. 

We wouldn’t be getting Moreno or Estupinan for that price though, unless you mean before they signed for Villa and Brighton ?

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We wouldn’t be getting Moreno or Estupinan for that price though, unless you mean before they signed for Villa and Brighton ?

Yeh before obviously.  I’m suggesting there’s reasonable value in the market for the fairly shrewd.  

I think if we got a decent offer for Targett we would let him go. But won’t hawk him around and upset him. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Yeh before obviously.  I’m suggesting there’s reasonable value in the market for the fairly shrewd.  

I think if we got a decent offer for Targett we would let him go. But won’t hawk him around and upset him. 

Aye I think we would sell him, isn’t he really high wages though ?