Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

Our defense declined in the second half of last season and our only upgrade was someone who missed an entire season w/ an ACL tear and who will be sitting behind Trippier most of the time anyway.  Can't say the defense is back to form in the preseason games either. 

43 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

Our defense declined in the second half of last season and our only upgrade was someone who missed an entire season w/ an ACL tear and who will be sitting behind Trippier most of the time anyway.  Can't say the defense is back to form in the preseason games either. 

Did the first string d play together in any of the games? Certainly not the 2 I saw.

1 hour ago, rebelrouser said:

I hope we sign a young exciting CB. 

I expect Tino to play a lot too. 

9 hours ago, TorchyTBB said:

I've never really been a Targett fan.  He's just an average footballer with slightly less than average pace so he will never be good enough for a top eight team.  Contrast him with Trippier who although not particularly quick, more than makes up for that with his high technical ability and speed of mind.

Can't speak for what he's been like since coming back from injury, but defensively he was excellent in the takeover season.

Some players just don’t react well to being out of the team, hits their confidence and they just accept their situation. I think Lascelles also falls into this category.

Others will improve and force their way back in. I think maybe that’s what the manager is waiting for from Targett but he’s just too nice to make that impression.

• 2 weeks later...

Off then? 

Third choice if Hall comes in with everyone fit. Maybe even 4th choice if Howe would rather bring in Livramento and bring Tripper over to LB. 

Not sure where its gone wrong like. Only had 5 starts last season and although he didnt look up to the pace in his sub appearances. A victim of our rapid success I suppose. 

Edited by Doctor Zaius

Still seems popular in the squad and always has a smile on his face. I'm also in the don't know what's gone wrong club. Illness, injury or confidence, I don't know. Would like to find out one day.

How can we say he's finished when nee bugger has seen him play ? Great squad player for all our games this season, no chance Miley, Hall Anderson and Liveramento can see out a full season with Champions league football 

21 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

There’s no reason to let him go. 

...So long as he's happy with the situation he seems to be in. He doesn't seem to be complaining which is interesting in and of itself considering he quit Aston Villa in very similar circumstances. Don't know if that's because he's happier with life in general here or because his circumstances have changed physically-speaking.

18 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I think he might want to go, he pushed to leave Villa as he didn’t want to be back up so I can see him doing the same now.

Villa had Squeaky G, we have Eddie. He may stay 1 more season, even as a bit part player. He’s on a good ride atm. What with all the growth at the cloob.

Because of what happened to a Jacob Murphy, seemingly nowhere near the 1st team and barely getting a look in, everyone and their dog hoping he gets offloaded, only for him to show and prove his value after a period training and application……I’m quite happy to see Targett stay and work hard to become a competitive member of the squad again. 
If the management want to keep him, I think they’ve got a track record of being proved right.