Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

4 minutes ago, Hudson said:

Don’t understand why he gets no game time, always looks good when he plays. 

If we are playing burn not being an extra cb with the ball I genuinely can't see why targett doesn't play. I'm not a big fan of burn to start with but really struggling to justify it when he's going forward more

Good to see him back, Burn had a particularly rough evening and it was nice to bring Targett on who can deliver a ball. That free kick that ended up with Wilson hitting the bar was quality and I hope he gets more minutes 

1 minute ago, Ketsbaia said:

Enjoyed seeing him come on - adding a left-sided crosser needed to happen. Hope we see him more regularly.

Just added an extra dimension in attack.  People forget how good a player he is.

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

Good to see him back, Burn had a particularly rough evening and it was nice to bring Targett on who can deliver a ball. That free kick that ended up with Wilson hitting the bar was quality and I hope he gets more minutes 

Going to get pelters but burn has lots of those but he's from Blyth so.....actually feel for targett some weeks 

6 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Would like to see him or Hall play more often. Especially against teams who primarily set up to defend against us or when we are chasing a goal.

I've resigned myself to the fact that only an injury will stop Burn playing in the PL & CL.

I feel like Burn has started every game of significance that he's been fit for since he's joined.

Other than the fact that he made us far more dangerous in open play when he came on. He's actually very good at set peice delivery, which is especially useful when Trippier is having one of those games where none of his seem to hit our men.

I feel like until Botman is back. He won’t get a start in the league or CL. Think Howe wants to play the same back 5 as much as he can. Which I understand. But the attacking threat down the left with Targett there instead of Burn was night and day. 

I love BDB and he is a more solid defender and literally massive for us for set pieces and any switches or back post balls to his side. But if anything, he seems to be getting worse on the ball. He regularly just runs or passes it out of play of late. 

Burn will have his hands full against Neto today. But he is the more solid defensive option against him. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

3 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Other than the fact that he made us far more dangerous in open play when he came on. He's actually very good at set peice delivery, which is especially useful when Trippier is having one of those games where none of his seem to hit our men.

I think Eddie is probably a little torn here because Targett did really well for him before Burn turned in his surprising left back form. I think he knows Targett gives him more in terms of set piece delivery and a little more width going forward. But Burn has been integral to that defensive rigidity so it’s difficult to twist rather than stick.

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

I feel like until Botman is back. He won’t get a start in the league or CL. Think Howe wants to play the same back 5 as much as he can. Which I understand. But the attacking threat down the left with Targett there instead of Burn was night and day. 

I love BDB and he is a more solid defender and literally massive for us for set pieces and any switches or back post balls to his side. But if anything, he seems to be getting worse on the ball. He regularly just runs or passes it out of play of late. 

I think I’ve said something similar to you at the exact same time 😂

I've never understood where the lack of respect for Targett comes from, for those that have it. 

Played really well when he first tipped up, got injured, couldn't displace BDB. 

Looked sharp on Wednesday and, like the gaffer, I have no qualms playing him against anyone. 

Hall's way less experienced but a talent nonetheless. 

Edited by Groundhog63

3 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I think Eddie is probably a little torn here because Targett did really well for him before Burn turned in his surprising left back form. I think he knows Targett gives him more in terms of set piece delivery and a little more width going forward. But Burn has been integral to that defensive rigidity so it’s difficult to twist rather than stick.

I absolutely agree that's its not as simple as just swap those two over, because having Burn in their changes our defensive and offensive shape into a back 3 at certain points. Having Burn does also mean extra height for defending against teams who play for set pieces or are especially good at them. So like you say, not as simple as it seems.

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

I absolutely agree that's it’s not as simple as just swap those two over, because having Burn in their changes our defensive and offensive shape into a back 3 at certain points. Having Burn does also mean extra height for defending against teams who play for set pieces or are especially good at them. So like you say, not as simple as it seems.

It’ll be interesting to see what they do with Hall in terms of bedding him in the second half of this season. They clearly see him as the left back moving forwards and you’d imagine to maybe have him starting for next season 🤷‍♂️ Or would they go for another option too? I don’t see that given the needs in other parts of the pitch.

47 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

It’ll be interesting to see what they do with Hall in terms of bedding him in the second half of this season. They clearly see him as the left back moving forwards and you’d imagine to maybe have him starting for next season 🤷‍♂️ Or would they go for another option too? I don’t see that given the needs in other parts of the pitch.

Targett is a LB and possibly a LWB at a stretch. Burn is LB and a CB. Hall can and has played about 5 different potions. I assume he'll be used as and when he's needed to cover various positions as 3rd choice in each of those positions. FA Cup third round is probably where we'll see him get his first 90 mins (assuming we are drawn a L1 or L2 team)