Southampton vs Newcastle United: 10/03/2022 @ 19:30 (No UK TV)

LRD

Win today and I’d be surprised if we go within 4 points of the bottom 3 again all season. A draw wouldn’t be a bad result at all but while we’ve got this momentum & confidence and 5 or 6 nasty looking games left, we should be looking at putting it to bed tonight.

There is still the old 'Mike Ashley's Newcastle United' part of my brain that just assumes every game is the game where the unbeaten run comes to a shuddering halt. Going to supress that as much as I can. Still think this is a tricky fixture, going to go with (and would quite happily take) a 1-1 draw. 

It's the type of match where at home I'd be hoping / half expecting to win, but away, I'd be delighted with a point. They are 10 unbeaten at home, winning 5 of them (12 and 7 if you include the FA Cup where they recently beat West Ham).

I can see a 3-1 Southampton win, unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

We're unbeaten in eight, for those who have forgotten.

But just three of those were away, which is a smaller sample size, plus one of those was obviously against 10 men for 80 minutes and that becomes a completely different match (even if we did start brightly). 

Win, lose or draw just looking forward to seeing the team play again. I know the unbeaten run is highly unlikely to continue. Unless any dodgy decisions goes against us or we do some ridiculous mistake to gift Southampton a win I won't be so upset if we lose. We can definitely get a result as well.