Roman Abramovich

Pokerprince2004

2 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

There's no way the PL (or the Government) will let anything happen to Chelsea, whether they end up breaching rules or not.

Exactly, as much as it'll be a load of bollocks compared to the shit we had to go through to get our takeover, the powers that be just won't let it happen. What I don't understand is, if Roman is sanctioned and his assets seized (ie Chelski), how does he have any say in how much the club is sold for? Or whether he gets any money he put into it back? I'm not really up on what all the finer details of this sanction mularky means really.

I’m guessing at worst they’ll become a Spurs or Arsenal and float between 4th & 7th most seasons. The tragedy.

Given that’s what they were the 5-6 years pre-Roman anyway I reckon they’ll take it after 2 decades of seeing world-class players & managers, titles and European trophies.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

They were living way above their means, and on the brink of administration before Roman came in and saved them, so you could argue in a world without rich uncles they would be even lower than 4th-7th.

Guest neesy111

Chelsea do have a very good academy and scouting system, they'll be able to use that for a while.

1 hour ago, Conjo said:

They were living way above their means, and on the brink of administration before Roman came in and saved them, so you could argue in a world without rich uncles they would be even lower than 4th-7th.

Without Abramovic they would have slowly slid down the table, they scraped CL in the final season before his arrival, and had never really challenged for the title. Unlike Spurs they can't really expand their ground, and with Man U never going broke, and the arrival of Man City they'd likely be knocking around mid-table these days. 

4 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Without Abramovic they would have slowly slid down the table, they scraped CL in the final season before his arrival, and had never really challenged for the title. Unlike Spurs they can't really expand their ground, and with Man U never going broke, and the arrival of Man City they'd likely be knocking around mid-table these days. 

The season before Abramovich came in where they ended 4th, they had only brought in two players, both on a free transfer. There were no funds to add to the squad, similar to our Lee Bowyer summer. They would most likely have had to sell players to stay afloat and with it drop down the table. 

Guest HTT II

We tried to buy Terry and without Abramovic would have likely did that as we did with Woodgate from Leeds.

20 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

It wouldn't have been slow. According to Bruce Buck they were weeks away from defaulting on Eurobonds and likely faci g administration.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

It wouldn't have been slow. According to Bruce Buck they were weeks away from defaulting on Eurobonds and likely faci g administration.

Which is seemingly where they are now (no license to operate at the end of this month?) if rumours are to be believed. If it goes ‘wrong’ as per current reports, they won’t be anywhere near 4-7th places, but will freefall or simply fail to exist in current form. Won’t be allowed to happen though imo- shady deals behind closed doors will prevent it. 

Just now, Manxst said:

Which is seemingly where they are now (no license to operate at the end of this month?) if rumours are to be believed. If it goes ‘wrong’ as per current reports, they won’t be anywhere near 4-7th places, but will freefall or simply fail to exist in current form. Won’t be allowed to happen though imo- shady deals behind closed doors will prevent it. 

Back then they weren't so big, few wanted to buy them and the Government wouldn't give a toss if they disappeared. Neither is the case now though.

20 minutes ago, HTT II said:

We tried to buy Terry and without Abramovic would have likely did that as we did with Woodgate from Leeds.

He wasn't starting every game for Chelsea at the time and the move up here was supposedly done and dusted. Abramovic came in and immediately put a blocker on all incoming and outgoing transfers.

Guest HTT II
Just now, LeeB said:

He wasn't starting every game for Chelsea at the time and the move up here was supposedly done and dusted. Abramovic came in and immediately put a blocker on all incoming and outgoing transfers.

Aye 6/8m I think the agreed fee was!

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

I fucking hate those ones that got away stories. :lol:

Salah, Modric, Baggio, Signori, Rivaldo, Rooney, Schweinsteiger….🤦‍♂️😂

Guest HTT II
Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

I’m sure the Terry one was around the time we got Woodgate? Was either him, Terry, Van Buyten or Dawson from Forest I think. 

We signed Woodgate then went in for Terry, we wanted both.

Guest HTT II

Man we were so exciting back then, just raiding Leeds for arguably their best/most highly sought after player, Forest for one of the hottest youth prospects in English football and going for the same with Terry at Chelsea.

Guest HTT II

We were also linked with Jon Harley, Jody Morris, Melchiot and Gallas (the one I wanted) pre Abramovic, we ended up with fucking Babayaro…

5 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Man we were so exciting back then, just raiding Leeds for arguably their best/most highly sought after player, Forest for one of the hottest youth prospects in English football and going for the same with Terry at Chelsea.

The best one was sniffing around Prutton for ages then finding Jenas who was even better.