Roman Abramovich

Pokerprince2004

Guest HTT II
4 minutes ago, macphisto said:

Just to make people cry, later that season we signed Boumsong for £8million under Souness when he had only been at Rangers on a free transfer for a few months. Utterly bizarre and then to rub more salt into the wound we let Hughes, a solid squad player, go not long afterwards for peanuts.

Now that was a dodgy transfer…

7 minutes ago, macphisto said:

Just to make people cry, later that season we signed Boumsong for £8million under Souness when he had only been at Rangers on a free transfer for a few months. Utterly bizarre and then to rub more salt into the wound we let Hughes, a solid squad player, go not long afterwards for peanuts.

...and Sounness, despite his sins, wanted Nicolas Anelka not Michael Owen. Anelka went on to smash it up at Bolton the season after and Michael Owen went on to be the worst signing in our history. 

IIRC he wanted Luis Boa Morte and not Albert Luque as well. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

...and Sounness, despite his sins, wanted Nicolas Anelka not Michael Owen. Anelka went on to smash it up at Bolton the season after and Michael Owen went on to be the worst signing in our history. 

He wanted Anelka, Louis Boa Morte, Collins John and Dean Ashton, we got crocks in Faye, Owen, Luque and Babayaro instead. 

Edited by HTT II

Guest HTT II

Owen was FS all over, such an embarrassment of a whole deal looking back, Shearer offering up his number 9 shirt man!

Just remembered that all of the talk at the time was that if we didn't get Owen, the plan was to go for Torres as well. :lol: Literally couldn't have been a worse set of circumstances, the player Souness wanted and the plan B were both 10x the player Owen was. 

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Just remembered that all of the talk at the time was that if we didn't get Owen, the plan was to go for Torres as well. :lol: Literally couldn't have been a worse set of circumstances, the player Souness wanted and the plan B were both 10x the player Owen was. 

We offered something like 23m for him I think.

Guest HTT II
Just now, ManDoon said:

100 percent. 

Free transfer to Rangers, 6 months later 8.5m to us, Souness was in on it too, tidy earnings for some of them… even the Souness appointment was dodgy. 

Guest HTT II
Just now, ManDoon said:

A lot of envelopes id imagine. That shit still happens! 

Without a doubt!

15 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Free transfer to Rangers, 6 months later 8.5m to us, Souness was in on it too, tidy earnings for some of them… even the Souness appointment was dodgy. 

I’m sure one of them was the other’s best man?  Souness and Murray 

I agree though - it stinks that deal - I remember being at Loftus Road for his debut when Yeading’s DJ Campbell ran rings around him!

Edited by Paully

9 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

A lot of envelopes id imagine. That shit still happens! 

I was just googling the deal as I thought Souness had shares in Rangers at the time. If not, I'm sure he benefited some way through his business relationship with Murray, Rangers Chairman.

Anyway, I had completely forgot that the police raided the club over the Boumsong and Faye transfers.

Edited by macphisto

25 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He wanted Anelka, Louis Boa Morte, Collins John and Dean Ashton, we got crocks in Faye, Owen, Luque and Babayaro instead. 

I felt so bad for Luque. I'm convinced if he hadn't had a goal ruled out on his debut (against Man Utd?), he would've been far more successful here...obviously not a high bar for him but still!

3 minutes ago, woody said:

I felt so bad for Luque. I'm convinced if he hadn't had a goal ruled out on his debut (against Man Utd?), he would've been far more successful here...obviously not a high bar for him but still!

The hamstring injury he picked up just after that game absolutely ruined him physically too. Realistically he'd never have been much of a success here given he'd probably have spent most of his time as a winger in a 4-4-2 tho.

I remember us being linked to Robbie Keane a lot in 2005. Him and Anelka would have been so much better than Owen & Luque.

36 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

IIRC he wanted Luis Boa Morte and not Albert Luque as well. 

Anelka and Boa Morte would have been ideal signings for us at that time, they would have replaced at least some of the pace and dynamism that we lost with Bellamy - which was mostly Souness's fault tbh, but at least he could have been allowed to fix his own mistakes.

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

Owen, as unbearable and rotten as he is, is nowhere near being our worst signing in our history. 

You have to allow for the cunt factor which may well override his competence in many ways.

1 hour ago, ManDoon said:

I really don't want to be fair to Owen,  but his goal return wasn't actually bad per game.

About 1 in 3 including penalties. He was abysmal given he was signed for £17m as a pure goalscorer and eventual captain.

Guest neesy111

Owen's inability to not score 20 league goals in a single season across his career shows he was never a world class striker.  A very good one on his day but very few between.

Edited by neesy111

I definitely agree Alan Smith’s the worst, mind. Shocking player. Nothing but red and yellow cards to show for his time here. I don’t buy the shit about him standing up as a senior player in the Championship either. He was shit there too. We looked much better with Guthrie in his place.