Roman Abramovich

Pokerprince2004

35 minutes ago, wormy said:

I know nothing about this Ricketts family. Do we want them to win the bidding war because Chelsea will suffer a hilarious fall from grace or not? 

Do some Googling, they're worse than the Glazers if you ask Cub's fans. :lol:  In brief, they're a bunch of inbred, middle of America racist motherfuckers. I hope they win. 

53 minutes ago, midds said:

A pack of obnoxious racist cunts? Sounds like they'll fit hand in glove tbh. 

Chelsea fans man. Up there with the most arrogant. Was up in Paisley last Saturday (St Mirren v Dundee United). Had a part time interest in St Mirren since my school days in the 80s but that's another story. In Spoons my mate starts talking about Abramovich. A lad on the next table turns and says he's a Chelsea ST holder in his broad West of Scotland accent. A lass sat alone on another table joined in before joining him at his table. After hearing what game we were going to she says to him "I'm not even talking about St Mirren. Embarrassing". He starts with "Why would you even watch them? Go to Ibrox instead". He's got a point i hear some of you say :) but he was clearly one of those who think football should consist of 12 to 20 big name clubs. I'm guessing he was right behind the failed 'super' league.

41 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Who’s their best option, when it comes to maintaining a top 6-10 team?

Putin pulls out of Ukraine and they keep Abramovich.

It seems like all the options looking at them are consortiums/investment groups who are only wanting them to add to the portfolio and cash in on their Premier League and commercial income, as well as potential ESL money.

The only way they make money off Chelsea is an ESL style arrangement, where their 'big name' means that they're guaranteed a part of the Champions League pot in perpetuity. 

So expect to see that idea, or a variation of it, coming back fast.

But even with that TV money already, they were already losing about £75m a year.

And then of course we're heading for a global recession where TV ad money isn't going up forever. Wouldn't be surprised to see a few other US owners realise this and bail out.

3 hours ago, OCK said:

I feel like I've been waiting for the football money bubble to burst for the last 10 years. The TV deals kept going up and up. 

Just my opinion and perhaps naïve, but the push back against the ESL suggests to me that the infinite growth model is either about to hit a brick wall and the bubble will burst, or they'll find a way to push through.

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Just my opinion and perhaps naïve, but the push back against the ESL suggests to me that the infinite growth model is either about to hit a brick wall and the bubble will burst, or they'll find a way to push through.

They already have to an extent with the Champions League reformat.

In time the Champions League will gain more money by having more games, and the big clubs in Europe will push for a financial model that rewards them higher than other teams in Europe, like they have done in their respective leagues.

The ESL proposals were in actual fact an empty threat to UEFA and their respective leagues to allow the format changes they proposed, except a few clubs didn’t get the memo and took it seriously. Both UEFA and the respective leagues should have taken proper action against them, talking bans from Europe, points deductions in their leagues or worse, instead we let them decide what punishment they wanted to take, and still got what they wanted.

33 minutes ago, Stifler said:

They already have to an extent with the Champions League reformat.

In time the Champions League will gain more money by having more games, and the big clubs in Europe will push for a financial model that rewards them higher than other teams in Europe, like they have done in their respective leagues.

The ESL proposals were in actual fact an empty threat to UEFA and their respective leagues to allow the format changes they proposed, except a few clubs didn’t get the memo and took it seriously. Both UEFA and the respective leagues should have taken proper action against them, talking bans from Europe, points deductions in their leagues or worse, instead we let them decide what punishment they wanted to take, and still got what they wanted.

I'm not sure it will. It will probably come.down to viewing figures etc that will command advertising revenue and I'm sure that is weighted towards the end stages, more games means more games of less interest and smaller viewing figures.

I wonder if in the long-term, worldwide internet streaming is the next pot of gold. A more direct model of subscription rather than the centralised TV deal we have now?

I would have thought it's got to happen at some point in the next 10 years. It's the only real way to monetize most of the fans around the world. I know the international TV deals have grown but internet streaming is surely where the big money is.