Roman Abramovich

Pokerprince2004

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The best one was sniffing around Prutton for ages then finding Jenas who was even better.

Aye he was rated even higher, we were also linked with Andy Reid IIRC!

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The best one was sniffing around Prutton for ages then finding Jenas who was even better.

Was that the one where we had a scout at the Forest game to watch Prutton and he reported back that we should be after Jenas instead? 

Van Dijk, Salah, Modric. Makes no difference, if we signed them they'd likely have been half decent at best under our coaching. And if the off-chance they were any good, we'd have flogged them long before they were anywhere near turning top-class.

Edited by MrRaspberryJam

36 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Rooney for me. That was a highly pivotal moment imo 

Do you mean when we bid for him? I don't think we were ever serious bidders. I always thought that was more to help Paul Stretford out, Rooney's agent, by flushing out Man U's interest. Freddie Shepherd was Streford's best man at his wedding and godfather to one of his kids (Chronicle Link). After Newcastle, Shepherd and his son formed a sports agency with Stretford. I'm sure I read Bobby wasn't happy with the club's relationship with Stretford where he almost had an office at the ground. 

Edited by macphisto

Guest HTT II
20 minutes ago, macphisto said:

:lol:[emoji38]:lol:

Sorry mate, for all our two differing opinions on Carr, I get where you are coming from and hopefully the days of buying players to sell on or because they have cheap release clauses are over, that and signing players that don’t fit the team or how the manager sets us up. I’m 100% confident them days are well and truly over! 

Just now, HTT II said:

Sorry mate, for all our two differing opinions on Carr, I get where you are coming from and hopefully the days of buying players to sell on or because they have cheap release clauses are over, that and signing players that don’t fit the team or how the manager sets us up. I’m 100% confident them days are well and truly over! 

Honestly no need to apologise and apologies if I  was too strong myself. Honestly, I just detest what became of the club under Ashley. Signing players with the team in mind is all I want from the club and you're right about the bad days being behind us!!!

Guest HTT II
15 minutes ago, macphisto said:

Do you mean when we bid for him? I don't think we were ever serious bidders. I always thought that was more to help Paul Stretford out, Rooney's agent, by flushing out Man U's interest. Freddie Shepherd was Streford's best man at his wedding and godfather to one of his kids (Chronicle Link). After Newcastle, Shepherd and his son formed a sports agency with Stretford. I'm sure I read Bobby wasn't happy with the club's relationship with Stretford where he almost had an office at the ground. 

I used to think that way, but I’ve heard Rooney/his agents had a fall out with Moyes/Everton and his agents alerted various clubs that they were looking to move him on. Man Utd were initially not interested at that point and didn’t think he would get sold anyway, that and they would have been happy for him to gain his stripes at Everton for a few more years, but then we entered into the equation in typical FS fashion and he would have ended up here had Man Utd not panicked and thought we can’t let this kid join any other team so they entered the bidding.

Once they showed genuine interest we were out of the scene and in the end we helped push the price up from 23m to 30m plus huge signing on bonuses and FS and his son or was it his brother and the agents got an xtra few quid out of the deal as a result.

It obviously worked out great for Rooney. It was all agent driven though and SBR wasn’t aware and it caused a stir in the dressing room with Bellamy in particular. We’d not long sold Woodgate and SBR was told there wasn’t much money available and then all of a sudden we are bidding 23m for an 18 year old? He was livid. That set the path towards his demise as he then asked FS who is pulling the strings here and FS was at that point high on some Championship Manager crusade where he thought he knew better than the actual manager when it comes to signings.

SBR didn’t want Butt or Kluivert for example or Carr and even Bowyer, he wanted Miguel, Carrick and Smith or Beattie.

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah I through that was a legit bid, I could be wrong but Bobby seemed to believe  it was legit and we had a chance. I don’t think the agent needed help selling Rooney tbh

I thought the issue was Man U were planning on buying Rooney the following summer so we were used to make them bid sooner than they planned and also start a bidding war to increase his transfer fee. I might be wrong  and it was a genuine bid but we had already signed Kluivert that summer to go with Shearer, Bellamy and Shola. 

The bid may have been genuine with us using the Woodgate fee to fund the move or  a smokescreen in an attempt to pacify fans about Woodgate leaving. 

2004 was a strange summer as apparently Kluivert and Butt were signed above Robson's head; particularly the latter player as Robson wanted to keep Speed.

7 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I used to think that way, but I’ve heard Rooney/his agents had a fall out with Moyes/Everton and his agents alerted various clubs that they were looking to move him on. Man Utd were initially not interested at that point and didn’t think he would get sold anyway, that and they would have been happy for him to gain his stripes at Everton for a few more years, but then we entered into the equation in typical FS fashion and he would have ended up here had Man Utd not panicked and thought we can’t let this kid join any other team so they entered the bidding.

Once they showed genuine interest we were out of the scene and in the end we helped push the price up from 23m to 30m plus huge signing on bonuses and FS and his son or was it his brother and the agents got an xtra few quid out of the deal as a result.

It obviously worked out great for Rooney. It was all agent driven though and SBR wasn’t aware and it caused a stir in the dressing room with Bellamy in particular. We’d not long sold Woodgate and SBR was told there wasn’t much money available and then all of a sudden we are bidding 23m for an 18 year old? He was livid. That set the path towards his demise as he then asked FS who is pulling the strings here and FS was at that point high on some Championship Manager crusade where he thought he knew better than the actual manager when it comes to signings.

SBR didn’t want Butt or Kluivert for example or Carr and even Bowyer, he wanted Miguel, Carrick and Smith or Beattie.

“Everton were really struggling for money at the time and I found out they were listening to offers from people as well.”

“They were trying to push me to sign for Chelsea because they were going to pay the most money. But, once I knew United were interested, I wanted some confirmation that they did want to sign me.”

Rooney added: "Once I knew they did want to sign me, it was the only club [for me] as I wanted to work with Sir Alex Ferguson and play with Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Roy Keane, Rio Ferdinand, these players, so I knew where I wanted to go.”

“It was 40 minutes from my home, where I grew up, as well and it was a perfect fit for me. United actually wanted to wait a year, until the following year, but then Newcastle came into talks with Everton and with myself.”

“I'd gone too far then. I couldn't wait another year, I couldn't stay another year at Everton, so I was prepared to go to Newcastle for that year.“

“I spoke to them, we spoke about salary and what I wanted if I went there was, after a year, if Manchester United come in, you have to let me go.”

“Newcastle were agreeing to that but obviously, with United, I went back to them and said, if you don't do it now, I'll go to Newcastle with a clause in place. United obviously didn't want me to go there so I came here.“

“It was basically whatever Newcastle paid for me, United would have paid a year later.”

9 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Laughing to myself as you've just told it a lot better than how I just did now:lol:!!!

Just to make people cry, later that season we signed Boumsong for £8million under Souness when he had only been at Rangers on a free transfer for a few months. Utterly bizarre and then to rub more salt into the wound we let Hughes, a solid squad player, go not long afterwards for peanuts.

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, macphisto said:

I thought the issue was Man U were planning on buying Rooney the following summer so we were used to make them bid sooner than they planned and also start a bidding war to increase his transfer fee. I might be wrong  and it was a genuine bid but we had already signed Kluivert that summer to go with Shearer, Bellamy and Shola. 

The bid may have been genuine with us using the Woodgate fee to fund the move or  a smokescreen in an attempt to pacify fans about Woodgate leaving. 

2004 was a strange summer as apparently Kluivert and Butt were signed above Robson's head; particularly the latter player as Robson wanted to keep Speed.

Aye SBR wanted Miguel, Carrick and one of Smith or Beattie, FS low balled WHU with an offer for Carrick thinking as a Geordie he’d walk here. SBR wanted to keep Speed simply because of his leadership in the dressing room but FS thought he was too old and 750k was too good to turn down. SBR didn’t want to sell Woodgate. Speed leaving created a huge void in the dressing room especially among the younger players, there were cliques which he was part of (the senior clique), but he bridged the gap between the two with the younger clique group, Dyer, Bellamy, Jenas et al. Such a top man was Speed! That was an awful summer, conjunctivitis, a piss poor trip to Asia and our piss poor start to the season followed by SBR’s sacking and fucking Souness being appointed, the start of the end of an era and the start of our demise from a top 6-4 club.