sunderland

Big River

9 minutes ago, Sid said:

Byker Asda was my go to Asda when I lived in the city centre and wanted a big shop, I never thought it was rough, I must be rough as fuck.

If he thinks the Asda is rough, he should try the Morrisons, makes Byker Asda look like Harvey Nicks.

Pub across the road has a sign in the window, " No shop lifted goods to be sold in this pub".

Aye Byker Morrisons was my local when I lived in town, crikey.

Aye bykers a shithole, but ffs have you walked through Sunderland CITY CENTRE!?

The place is a glorified town centre riddled with vape shops and Greggs.

Afaic, people from Newcastle and the surrounding area are proud of their city, and that in itself propels it up and makes everyone want it to be better.

We want people to enjoy coming here as much as we enjoy going ourselves (within reason, fuck off buying the houses!) And that encourages businesseses to setup here. 

If they wish to wallow and be shit scared of being called deluded, then they will get the football club and city they deserve tbh, which if I'm honest I think they already have it.

They're beginning to describe the whole atmosphere around us as 'cultish' .  The support for Tonali, flags, team staying out at the end etc. 

They've lost half their home games since February and won only four. In perspective that's worse home form than Ossie had in our worst ever season.

In keeping with their general outlook being discussed here. The quiet moany atmosphere there is constantly on the brink of toxicity and booing.

Can't be a coincidence.

Whilst only Arsenal and Liverpool have won at SJP in coming up two years.

But that's to be frowned on and they're the ones living right as always.

Edited by Wolfcastle

40 minutes ago, Pilko said:

You can genuinely wander past the entrance to their city's train station without noticing, it's tied in with a metro stop and is about the size of a medium shop doorway.

The new entrance will look a fair bit better when it is done tbf. Looked nearly done when I was there couple of months ago (went down to Brighton via Grand Central as it was dirt cheap). Still more local bus/light rail interchange vibes than major train station - but a big improvement and long overdue.

Spoiler

F2B1NN.jpg

2021-11-30-sunderland-ne-606-16382569401

Edited by ponsaelius

No doubt there are numerous areas around Newcastle is dire need of...just about everything really.

But @NE27 is right, the city itself is shocking. We went to the Empire (which is quite nice on the inside actually) and got the train from Newcastle Central about 6ish. Short train ride, got out at Sunderland and the place was deserted. Everywhere was shut. No people about. I honestly thought we'd got off at the wrong stop.

23 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

The new entrance will look a fair bit better when it is done tbf. Looked nearly done when I was there couple of months ago (went down to Brighton via Grand Central as it was dirt cheap). Still more local bus/light rail interchange vibes than major train station - but a big improvement and long overdue.

Hide contents

F2B1NN.jpg

2021-11-30-sunderland-ne-606-16382569401

I've just finished up on the new station there and it's a damn sight better than what was there, but still not really befitting of a city if that makes sense.

It is pretty much four lane ends metro station levels really.

22 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

No doubt there are numerous areas around Newcastle is dire need of...just about everything really.

But @NE27 is right, the city itself is shocking. We went to the Empire (which is quite nice on the inside actually) and got the train from Newcastle Central about 6ish. Short train ride, got out at Sunderland and the place was deserted. Everywhere was shut. No people about. I honestly thought we'd got off at the wrong stop.

More seagulls than people is my experience, absolute cess pit of a place.

24 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

It's not unique to Sunderland though. To be perfectly honest many large towns and small cities (effectively the same thing) in the UK are exactly like that. Particularly ones that were Victorian industrial boom towns (with no prior history) and have since ceased to have their entire purpose. Get past about 6pm and they are eerily dead. It's worse in the UK than mainland Europe because nobody lives in city centres to give them any life. Throw in council having no budget to maintain streetscape/public realm, clean graffiti or pick up litter and it's unsurprising places can look apocalyptic once you hit the witching hour.

The one thing I will give credit for to Sunlun is the council do have the right ideas and are genuinely trying their best. The new housing development coming forward where the civic centre is being demolished is interesting because its putting good mixed housing right close to the city centre. Not only is that the right idea to try and inject more life but doing so makes more use of the Metro as it can/should have a genuine commuter belt function into Newcastle but currently doesn't really (because of how low density Sunderland is).

I will also say what Sunderland has and Newcastle doesn't is a well located city centre park in Mowbray Park. Newcastle's green spaces always feel more peripheral and there's very little green space actually in the heart of the city. Again this reflects the fact Sunderland was very much a Victorian town. It's probably better maintained than the likes of Leazes Park as well for some reason. 

Edited by ponsaelius

43 minutes ago, NE27 said:

I've just finished up on the new station there and it's a damn sight better than what was there, but still not really befitting of a city if that makes sense.

It is pretty much four lane ends metro station levels really.

Didn’t they win city status in a competition?

I never realised how seriously bitter mackems are until I had to work with a few. Like I can go months without thinking about Sunderland, but these fuckers can't go a minute without bringing up any Newcastle bad news - real or fake. [emoji38]

The " Milk and Honey" thread descended into how their beaches are better than Newcastle's beach's, despite us not having a beach due to being an inland city, then criticising us for claiming North Tyneside's beaches, despite it being them who said it in the first place.

It's like Kendal telling us they have better mountains than us.

Also, Newcastle only consists of heaven ( Jesmond, Gosforth) and hell (Byker, West end). 

They seem unaware of the large swathe of decent normal housing, off the top of my head, Walkergate,Heaton,High Heaton, Benton, Dinnington, Hazlerigg, Kingston Park, Great Park, Westerhope, Chapel Park, Chapel House, Walbottle, Leamington,Dumpling Hall, there wil be a ton more. Is Forest Hall Newcastle or North Tyneside?

Walker is a huge estate, I used to live there, and there are more decent parts than bad. 

To be fair, the  thread starter is getting a bit of stick from the few level headed posters, I hope they don't parsnip ithe thread as I am enjoying reading it.

40 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Now hey hey hey. Some of us come from good stock from that there Byker.

It's them saying it's hell, not me.

I lived in the Battlefield until quite recently and spent loads of time on shields road, I never thought of it as hell, or even that rough.

1 hour ago, Sid said:

The " Milk and Honey" thread descended into how their beaches are better than Newcastle's beach's, despite us not having a beach due to being an inland city, then criticising us for claiming North Tyneside's beaches, despite it being them who said it in the first place.

It's like Kendal telling us they have better mountains than us.

Also, Newcastle only consists of heaven ( Jesmond, Gosforth) and hell (Byker, West end). 

They seem unaware of the large swathe of decent normal housing, off the top of my head, Walkergate,Heaton,High Heaton, Benton, Dinnington, Hazlerigg, Kingston Park, Great Park, Westerhope, Chapel Park, Chapel House, Walbottle, Leamington,Dumpling Hall, there wil be a ton more. Is Forest Hall Newcastle or North Tyneside?

Walker is a huge estate, I used to live there, and there are more decent parts than bad. 

To be fair, the  thread starter is getting a bit of stick from the few level headed posters, I hope they don't parsnip ithe thread as I am enjoying reading it.

The good people of Lemington are likely shocked to be mentioned in dispatches reporting of decent, normal housing.  Having spent part of my youth there, I’d say that’s generous :) 

15 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

It's not unique to Sunderland though. To be perfectly honest many large towns and small cities (effectively the same thing) in the UK are exactly like that. Particularly ones that were Victorian industrial boom towns (with no prior history) and have since ceased to have their entire purpose. Get past about 6pm and they are eerily dead. It's worse in the UK than mainland Europe because nobody lives in city centres to give them any life. Throw in council having no budget to maintain streetscape/public realm, clean graffiti or pick up litter and it's unsurprising places can look apocalyptic once you hit the witching hour.

The one thing I will give credit for to Sunlun is the council do have the right ideas and are genuinely trying their best. The new housing development coming forward where the civic centre is being demolished is interesting because its putting good mixed housing right close to the city centre. Not only is that the right idea to try and inject more life but doing so makes more use of the Metro as it can/should have a genuine commuter belt function into Newcastle but currently doesn't really (because of how low density Sunderland is).

I will also say what Sunderland has and Newcastle doesn't is a well located city centre park in Mowbray Park. Newcastle's green spaces always feel more peripheral and there's very little green space actually in the heart of the city. Again this reflects the fact Sunderland was very much a Victorian town. It's probably better maintained than the likes of Leazes Park as well for some reason. 

Friends visiting Newcastle often comment on the lack of green spaces, trees, squares in the city. Lovely as Graingertown and the Quayside are, they are quite barren with very few places to linger. As you said, there is only one city centre park and that's peripheral; I'd like to see Leazes Park expanded and improved.

Sunderland has a miserable centre and there is little reason why an outsider would wish to visit. Aside from a good central park it can at least compete with Newcastle on the quality of its best suburbs - Ashbrooke, Fulwell and Seaburn deserve a better centre.

38 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The good people of Lemington are likely shocked to be mentioned in dispatches reporting of decent, normal housing.  Having spent part of my youth there, I’d say that’s generous :) 

Newcastle is sorely lacking in high quality housing and neighbourhoods. Much of Gosforth and Jesmond and....well that's about it, really, within 5 miles of the centre. 

There are plenty of decent places to live, though, and Newcastle probably has fewer truly rough parts than many comparably sized cities in the UK.

10 minutes ago, TomYam said:

Newcastle is sorely lacking in high quality housing and neighbourhoods. Much of Gosforth and Jesmond and....well that's about it, really, within 5 miles of the centre. 

There are plenty of decent places to live, though, and Newcastle probably has fewer truly rough parts than many comparably sized cities in the UK.

What do you mean by "high quality' ? Chapel Park, Kingston Park are hardly slums