sunderland in the EFL

Big River

8 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

Lot of Sunderland supporters in Ashington and north northumberland.

Yeah, Ashington always had a high Mackem quota - never understood why, mind

Our greatest no.9 grew up as a Sunderland fan in Ashington of course.  He saw the light in the end

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, Ashington always had a high Mackem quota - never understood why, mind

Our greatest no.9 grew up as a Sunderland fan in Ashington of course.  He saw the light in the end

Mining

9 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

Lot of Sunderland supporters in Ashington and north northumberland.

Complete an utter myth.

I think there is/was some of them in Ashington because they moved there for the mines. Northumberland is very much ours, going towards the borders and even a little bit of southern Scotland. In fact the 2nd team behind us towards the borders is probably Hearts, and of course you get your typical Man Utd dickhead everywhere you go.

Edited by Stifler

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Why would mining turn someone into a Mackem?  My granddad worked in the pits in Northumberland, but managed not to become one

He meant minors

3 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

Forget the football, catchment areas, airports, shopping centres, etc.... Its all about the biggest concerts now, Marra....

NE Concert Top Dogs TM

Tbf the football must be desperate if they can get twice as many through the gate to listen to Ed Sheeran’s dreary busker shite

8 minutes ago, TK-421 said:

Forget the football, catchment areas, airports, shopping centres, etc.... Its all about the biggest concerts now, Marra....

NE Concert Top Dogs TM

Most of the crowd will not even be from sunland and most of them will have digs in Newcastle.:laugh:

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

Complete an utter myth.

I think there is/was some of them in Ashington because they moved there for the mines. Northumberland is very much ours, going towards the borders and even a little bit of southern Scotland. In fact the 2nd team behind us towards the borders is probably Hearts, and of course you get your typical Man Utd dickhead everywhere you go.

No - I've lived most of my life, just across the water in Stakeford/Bedlington/Cambois. I know what I'm on about.

Ashington has a sizeable amount of mackem supporters.

Guest HTT II

Aye for some reason there is a sizeable amount of mackems in Ashington. More than in Washington I’d say. I think it is down to the mining industry and that a lot of people from Sunderland in the 60s/70s moved there.

Yeah, even when I was at school (both pre and post 1992), I'd say it was around a two thirds / one third split, perhaps a wee bit more, still in Newcastle's favour though but there's still sizeable support in the area for Sunderland. Never had any problems with it as they're just fans of their club like we are. 

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Why would mining turn someone into a Mackem?  My granddad worked in the pits in Northumberland, but managed not to become one

Maybees your Granddad stayed in Northumberland his whole mining career? Had he moved to Jarrow, for eg, he would've become a Jarrow mag. 

It's not exactly rocket science but, back in the day, when many villages in Northumberland/Durham/Yorkshire had their own collieries the workforce could be transient. Had to be. If your colliery shut or had a bad accident you HAD to jog on and find work elsewhere. Likewise when smaller collieries merged into bigger ones. 

https://englandsnortheast.co.uk/1950-1969/

8 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Maybees your Granddad stayed in Northumberland his whole mining career? Had he moved to Jarrow, for eg, he would've become a Jarrow mag. 

It's not exactly rocket science but, back in the day, when many villages in Northumberland/Durham/Yorkshire had their own collieries the workforce could be transient. Had to be. If your colliery shut or had a bad accident you HAD to jog on and find work elsewhere. Likewise when smaller collieries merged into bigger ones. 

https://englandsnortheast.co.uk/1950-1969/

Yeah, a couple of others here have pointed out that there was a sizeable influx of miners from Sunderland into Ashington for work.  Makes sense - I’d (mistakenly) read your post as suggesting that support for Sunderland was intrinsically linked to mining.  My misinterpretation tbh

3 hours ago, Stifler said:

Complete an utter myth.

Spoken with such authority despite talking shite. There are plenty of Sunderland fans in Ashington and surrounding areas. Bus fulls go to the stadium of light. 

23 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Why anyone over the age of 12 gives a shite about any of this is completely beyond me.

Because it's part of our roots/history.

When my dad was a kid, a lot of men and boys went to watch us one week and the mackems the next.  My dad is still a Mag but kinda looks out for all the north east. He also leans towards Arsenal, for some reason.

On 03/06/2022 at 12:25, Nun tumblers said:

Where did this Gateshead supports sunderland shit come from?

If the useless knackers who support a closed upper tier and lower tier empty plastic seats job,think Gatesheed  support them then dear god....fuckin gerrin young Cyril have you seen qir mandy yet

I've lived in Gateshead all my life and I probably only know 1 ot 2 that support Sunderland. I actually find people weird the support Sunderland living in Gateshead. It's not till you get to springwell village that I've noticed more. Still a small minority though. But the mackems will obviously disagree 

Guest HTT II
19 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

Ed Sheeran. June 9th 2018. SJP.

’For the second night in a row you have been a Premier League crowd,which is more than can be said for that little town down the road’

The pandering little ginger cunt, keep his music it’s dog shit!

29 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

Bobby Charlton was a mackem.Probably why Jackie hated him.

Not true. I've just recently watched a Bobby Charlton's football scrapbook where he says we were his team and he used to go to the games.

Don't think the other bits true either for what its worth

Guest HTT II
Just now, Wolfcastle said:

Not true. I've just recently watched a Bobby Charlton's football scrapbook where he says we were his team and he used to go to the games.

Don't think the other bits true either for what its worth

He’s been on the record saying his biggest regret was never playing for NUFC, he said at the time that we preferred to raid Scottish clubs than give our own local young lads a chance. Sir Bobby said similar.