sunderland in the EFL

Big River

12 hours ago, AJ9 said:

I think they had a vote no? I was a kid but I remember the naming of the stadium and their nickname being around the same time. Think the Brigadiers of Light was an option?

The Black Cats won 48% of the 10,000 votes cast by fans through the club's official magazine, the Legion of Light, and the official website, beating The Mackems, with 37%, into second place.

Sunderland, known as The Rokermen when they played at Roker Park, have not had an official nickname since they moved to the Stadium of Light in 1997. They are the last Premiership team to acquire one.

The choice of The Black Cats is not a superstitious move, however, to put the club's faltering season back on track, but originates from the 18th century when a battery of guns protecting the mouth of the River Wear bore the name.

The club launched the campaign to find a nickname in December and fans were offered a choice of five alternatives; The Black Cats also proved more popular than The Light Brigade, The Miners and The SOLs.

Bob Murray, Sunderland's chairman, said yesterday that he was keen to make sure everyone was aware of the new name.

"We now need to work out the logo to ensure that we don't slip back into the position where we had several nicknames doing the rounds," he said. "Before this vote if someone from another part of the country or overseas had contacted the club asking for the club nickname we were unable to give a straight answer. From now on we can take pride in being The Black Cats, knowing that our supporters have chosen the name."

Added the Bob Murray bit as its amusing the idea some random foreigner would ring the club asking what their nickname was :lol:

10 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The ‘Black Cats’ vote was on Soccer AM.  The ‘SOS’ decision was announced to a bemused Mackem public without their say-so - and provoked unhappy responses captured for posterity on ‘Premier Pashuns’.  Which they’ll deny now, of course - they always love the ‘SOS’ name, marra

Was via the fanzine Legoin of Light and the clubs own website though. Soccer Am was unofficial

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2000/feb/22/newsstory.sport4

6 minutes ago, Sima said:

He's not worth 30M, but I also don't believe that one game just dictates how good a player is or isn't.

The lot of them were shite on Saturday, It doesn't make them all bad players and unable to play at a higher level.

6 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

He's not worth 30M, but I also don't believe that one game just dictates how good a player is or isn't.

The lot of them were shite on Saturday, It doesn't make them all bad players and unable to play at a higher level.

I've seen him more than a few times, he's worth nowhere near £30m imo.

If the patter about removing sell-on clauses is correct, I can see you selling for £12-15m.

On 07/01/2024 at 23:44, ste_ne24 said:

So one of my guilty pleasures is watching stealth camping videos on youtube. It kinda chills me out. There's a couple of Canadian guys who are canny and there is a very nice lass from down south who has the most soothing voice. Then i come across this guy the other day he camps on roundabouts around the Sunderland area and gets drunk with his midget friend :lol:

He did a derby video today #mandingo

Why can’t I stop watching this 😂

7 minutes ago, Sima said:

I've seen him more than a few times, he's worth nowhere near £30m imo.

If the patter about removing sell-on clauses is correct, I can see you selling for £12-15m.

Well if you have seen him a few times you should know that he's a very good player for his age, homegrown and will be better with better players around him.

97 appearances with 44 goals / assists is a brilliant return.

Alex Scott went for 25M, granted he's two years younger but has 88 appearances with 13 goals / assists in the same time frame.

Edited by TeddySAFC

16 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

Well if you have seen him a few times you should know that he's a very good player for his age, homegrown and will be better with better players around him.

Alex Scott went for 25M, granted he's two years younger but has 88 appearances with 13 goals / assists in the same time frame.

He's a year older than Anthony Gordon and the same age as Tonali and Botman.  

Those are "very good players for their age", Clarke is a good few levels below imo.

21 minutes ago, Sima said:

Those are "very good players for their age", Clarke is a good few levels below imo.

Just to make the point, Bowen didn’t leave Hull til he was 23/24. It’s not that uncommon to see players move up a level at that sort of age and then increase their potential.

Not saying this Clarke is or isn’t that good, I’ve seen him play once. 

37 minutes ago, Sima said:

Aye, and them players went for 60M / 50M / 45M

Edited by TeddySAFC

I've seen him once and that was in the flesh on Saturday. Hard judge, given their team wasn't up to much on the day. Our right side of Trippier, Longstaff & Almiron has nullified much better players than Clarke so hard to be too harsh on him based on that game.

Clearly a talented boy, but for every Bowen there's a Lewis-Potter. It would be ludicrous for somebody to spend anything north of probably £15m on him, with the potential of a few performance clauses or something.

That's not to say he won't go on to have a good career at a higher level than he's playing at now, just talk of £30m seems madness.

3 hours ago, TeddySAFC said:

The lot of them were shite because they were playing against a team of level that was way beyond any of them. That was glaringly obvious.

2 hours ago, TeddySAFC said:

Because they're levels above what Jack Clarke is?

27 minutes ago, Sima said:

Because they're levels above what Jack Clarke is?

Of course they are. As I said earlier they firmly believe that they play outrageous football and that some of their players are going to be top level premier league class. Tottenham and Arsenal don't release high quality young players for a relative pittance. Sunday should have put their theories to bed, but they're still spouting the same shite. Only a short while ago, as we know, they were spouting off about giving PSG and AC Milan a tough game. There is a reason they finished so far behind the top two last year and are so far behind the top 3 or 4 this year, yet they still value their players at bullshit amounts.

Edited by et tu brute

3 hours ago, St1pe said:

Why can’t I stop watching this 😂

This is hilarious I just watched the Chillingham Castle episode 

They got caught by the ground staff & as an excuse Mr Blott says Little Mick is disabled, he can hardly walk then two minutes later, he says we’re into hiking.[emoji38]

also when he gets court he tries to make ghost noises to scare the groundsman away. [emoji38]

1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

Of course they are. As I said earlier they firmly believe that they play outrageous football and that some of their players are going to be top level premier league class. Tottenham and Arsenal don't release high quality young players for a relative pittance. Sunday should have put their theories to bed, but they're still spouting the same shite. Only a short while ago, as we know, they were spouting off about giving PSG and AC Milan a tough game. There is a reason they finished so far behind the top two last year and are so far behind the top 3 or 4 this year, yet they still value their players at bullshit amounts.

They seem to value them more than their new manager does.

10 hours ago, TeddySAFC said:

Clarke is 24 this year - he's not that young; in fact he's approaching his prime - and still hasn't played a minute of top flight football, despite Spurs previously paying an eight-figure sum for him.

The lad might end up doing well in the PL, but he'd still be a punt.  I don't see anyone paying 20m+ for him.

9 hours ago, TeddySAFC said:

Tonali is an Italian international who was playing in a CL semi final for them last year; Botman is a Dutch international CB who was also being chased by Maldini at AC; Gordon was subject to a 60m offer from Chelsea in 2022, and was player of the tournament at the U-21 Euros.

Jack Clarke has done well in the English second division.  There is a difference.

Edited by TheBrownBottle

Question to those that frequent RTG - does that looney "Exile...." still post his bile on there?  Seems to have gone very quiet on twatter?  Would expected him to be in his element before and after the game.  Wonder if he's finally been committed ;D

41 minutes ago, Mag3.14 said:

Question to those that frequent RTG - does that looney "Exile...." still post his bile on there?  Seems to have gone very quiet on twatter?  Would expected him to be in his element before and after the game.  Wonder if he's finally been committed ;D

He's falling out of love with football, bless him.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/falling-out-of-love-with-football.1624571/post-39871022

And of course, if they had won on Saturday, I'm sure he'd feel the same. Ahem.

15 minutes ago, Mag3.14 said:

Almost a rational post from him there, he's truly broken [emoji38]

Almost, but not quite.  Football is lopsided and broken because of the PL, etc etc.  Yep, I agree.  But then he adds this:

'I genuinely would have been gutted after Saturday 10 years ago, but I shrugged, & put the Xmas Dec's in the garage'

So in 2014 he'd have been gutted.  The PL breakaway occurred 22 years before this, but somehow he missed that the 1992 breakaway was also about unfettered greed.  It is only now that football is broken.  Aye, alright Exile, you massive weapon :)

25 minutes ago, Wandy said:

He's falling out of love with football, bless him.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/falling-out-of-love-with-football.1624571/post-39871022

And of course, if they had won on Saturday, I'm sure he'd feel the same. Ahem.

So many coping mechanisms getting wheeled out in that thread.

Falling over themselves to tell each how much they don’t care anymore.

Had they won on Saturday it would have gone down (at least on RTG) as one of the greatest days in their history and they would have lapped it up til the cows came home.

The manner of the defeat was so, so damaging for them. Reinforced everything they feared, but hoped wasn’t true.