sunderland in the EFL

Big River

Their attendances are their only real boasting point. The rest of the club is pretty much farcical. If they gave out the true figures they'd be below Leeds and just ahead of Leicester and Southampton so no bragging rights.

You've seen how obsessed RTG are with crowds numbers, doing trackers to see how many tickets have been sold, with accompanying charts and graphs. It's obviously something that just runs through the club.

11 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

A quick look on their site and apart from the Family bit which is £35, the other tickets are around the £45 mark. Majority of Sunderland tickets looking on their site for Swansea are about £29-32.

Said all along, their pricing isn't a bad thing but if their ticket prices matched what some other clubs in their league charged, I'd be surprised if they got anywhere near 40,000.

Our gates receipts were higher 30years ago than theirs are now based on my first adult season ticket in 95/96  our income will have been 612k. The previous two seasons are unlikely to have been 30% less.

If their figures were caveated with that and the acceptance that their match day income is a third of Leeds and as such they can't compete it'd be more tolerable for all.

Hiding empty seats, lying about gates, zooming in on the playing area, having the camera avoid all the empty seats. KLD must have had a chinwag with Tony Khan when they played Fulham last season.

5 hours ago, FloydianMag said:

Just a thought but if they are inflating their attendance figure might the Tax Authorities be in the right to ask what have they done with the income earned from such high attendances?

They’ll have distributed the tickets based on those numbers, including any free tickets. 

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They’ll have distributed the tickets based on those numbers, including any free tickets. 

So they distributed the tickets and those individuals who have them all chose not to attend leaving entire sections empty?

10 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Added to the 9,000 £60 season tickets they've sold. There's clubs in the Championship getting 20 odd thousand every week who are taking in more at the gate than Sunderland.

I could probably get behind the idea that they're making football affordable to the younger fans, getting 'the kids interested in the club early and you've got them for life' etc angle in some situations tbh. It is good that a local teenager can rock up to every home game for a few quid each time, I can get that slant on things. However what I can't accept is the constant backslapping of each other and outright arrogance they have about it. Bragging about how fucking great they all are (they're not), how many tickets they've sold and giving off small dick energy. 

Call me old fashioned but 'attendance' should be how many clicks through the turnstile there are. How many people are in the ground - like how many people are 'attending' the game. Giving it the big 'un and boasting about 42k+ attendances looks pretty embarrassing when there's no more than about 23k actually in the ground some of the time, the numbers are just false. Can't have it both ways  

51 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

So they distributed the tickets and those individuals who have them all chose not to attend leaving entire sections empty?

They leave piles of tickets in places, or with businesses etc

They're counted as "sold" even if the place they leave them with just chucks them in the bin, because how can Sunderland know? Those people *might* turn up.

Edited by Chris_R

1 minute ago, Chris_R said:

They're counted as "sold" even if the place they leave them with just chicks them in the bin, because how can Sunderland know? Those people *might* turn up.

Worrying if they give batches of tickets away locally and no fucker wants them:lol:

My wife overheard a conversation outside a social club in Blackpool when we were there recently. Group of ageing mackem 'ladies got asked if they were from Newcastle. "Nah! We're not Geordies. My man won't even watch them arseholes Ant n Dec on the tele". 😃

26 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

They're counted as "sold" even if the place they leave them with just chicks them in the bin, because how can Sunderland know? Those people *might* turn up.

They've been doing this for years.

My mates daughter went to Sunderland Uni about ten years ago and she said they had a pile of match tickets for every game in one of the admin offices.

Students were told "not to take more than fifteen each"!

Can't help but think the practice of free/cheap tickets has become a self fulfilling prophecy for them and a habit they can't break. The people (makems) I knew that took them up on it were not impressed and never went back.

They were doing this in the Roker Park days and advertised in my high school weekly news that you just had to put your name down at reception. Probably a dozen people might go, lad I went to our matches with years later was one just to hang out with his mates. 

The lack of wider support for them is a glaring issue that they refuse to acknowledge.

I’m not going to sit here and say that they don’t have their share of loyal fans, because they do, I even went to uni with one of them. However they overestimate their support.

For example I remember when those two chancers owned their club, and they had realised that they were exactly that. The Euro millions topped £200m at the time and they posed the question of if they won, would they buy the club, which at the time was for sale for about £30m-£50m.

Each one of the said that they wouldn’t.

So at the time they thought their club was going bust, but if someone put £200m into their account they wouldn’t give £50m to save their club.

At the same time there was rumours of the supporters consortium starting up to save and buy shares off Ashley for NUFC and although that wouldn’t have been enough to buy the club, I would certainly have put £100m or so into the pot for us to buy NUFC off him.

It’s alright saying you support your club through thick and thin, but it’s no good if even in a hypothetical scenario you have millions beyond your means and you still wouldn’t put in to save your club, never mind only going to games when you can walk into the reception at Sunderland Uni/Sunderland Council/local school, and pick up a free ticket.

Edited by Stifler

57 minutes ago, bigfella said:

My mates daughter went to Sunderland Uni about ten years ago and she said they had a pile of match tickets for every game in one of the admin offices.

I got offered a place at Sunderland uni, I ended up going to Northumbria. I looked into my UCAS email account that I created after I had graduated from Northumbria, and I was still getting emails from them offering free tickets.

If I had access to the account still, I wonder if I’d still be getting those emails.

Edited by Stifler

1 hour ago, Jonas said:

Can't help but think the practice of free/cheap tickets has become a self fulfilling prophecy for them and a habit they can't break. The people (makems) I knew that took them up on it were not impressed and never went back.

They were doing this in the Roker Park days and advertised in my high school weekly news that you just had to put your name down at reception. Probably a dozen people might go, lad I went to our matches with years later was one just to hang out with his mates. 

If you spend £400+ on a season ticket and see people turning up every week paying nothing would you keep paying or would you look for some of those free tickets instead?  If you work or visit one of the places that regularly gets a bunch of tickets there's simply no reason for you to ever consider buying one.

To fix the issue, the club then gives out more free tickets and the number of people asking why am I paying for this when I can get the tickets for free? goes up. Rinse and repeat until you're giving away tens of thousands of tickets but your matchday revenue is lower than a L2 team.

8 minutes ago, ikri said:

If you spend £400+ on a season ticket and see people turning up every week paying nothing would you keep paying or would you look for some of those free tickets instead?  If you work or visit one of the places that regularly gets a bunch of tickets there's simply no reason for you to ever consider buying one.

To fix the issue, the club then gives out more free tickets and the number of people asking why am I paying for this when I can get the tickets for free? goes up. Rinse and repeat until you're giving away tens of thousands of tickets but your matchday revenue is lower than a L2 team.

Why would you want a season ticket……especially as we all know how troublesome those shits are at Nissan, might as well pick up a freebie when your not at work.

1 hour ago, Jonas said:

which high school was this if you don’t mind be asking ? Was it in south Tyneside or Durham or are they giving tickets to schools in Newcastle? I just cannot see anyone who goes to Kenton, Studio West, Benfield, Walker, Excelsior or Heaton Manor ever going to see the mackems even if you paid them! 

24 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Why would you want a season ticket……especially as we all know how troublesome those shits are at Nissan, might as well pick up a freebie when you’re not at work.

Tbf I also don’t make it to Sunderland home matches because of the back shifts at Nissan.

That and I fucking hate Sunderland.

Oh, I don’t work at Nissan either.  Must just be the last point, then.

7 minutes ago, OCOCOL said:

which high school was this if you don’t mind be asking ? Was it in south Tyneside or Durham or are they giving tickets to schools in Newcastle? I just cannot see anyone who goes to Kenton, Studio West, Benfield, Walker, Excelsior or Heaton Manor ever going to see the mackems even if you paid them! 

It was in Washington. A 50/50 area and the school probably followed suit with the influx of people from Penshaw.

I worked for them for a bit and on both these work streams so know they ran coaching classes in Yorkshire and Cumbria and did pretty indescriminate mailshots in the same areas to try and lure support. Cant say Newcastle for sure but they did proposition my dad after he stopped going to our games regularly so wonder how they got that intel as I'm sure he sold the ticket on to someone but its pretty desperate stuff. I never dealt with his return to sender 'I'd rather stick pins in my eyes' written on the envelope, but there was a few like that.

2 hours ago, bigfella said:

Used to do it 20 odd years ago at Northumbria Uni at Coach Lane. Piles and piles of them just to help yourself to. A lad I used to know would grab fist fulls of them and hoy them straight in the bin outside. They'd still have been counted in the attendance though :lol:

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

Used to do it 20 odd years ago at Northumbria Uni at Coach Lane. Piles and piles of them just to help yourself to. A lad I used to know would grab fist fulls of them and hoy them straight in the bin outside. They'd still have been counted in the attendance though :lol:

Mackems claim they'd 'bin' to the game did they.

5 hours ago, Disco said:

Saying that NUFC used to a smallish run at both student unions during the Ashley years which has sadly stopped. 

Still had to pay for the tickets, a reduced price fair enough, but they went fast.

See the new season of Sunlun till I die is out now on Netflix.

Heard someone talking about it on the radio this morning, and saying they were glad season 3 has the 'Hollywood ending' they wanted. ;D

Yup, promotion out the 3rd division, proper Hollywood that!