sunderland in the EFL

Big River

3 minutes ago, Ketsbaia said:

Four attempts [emoji38]

Four years down there :lol:

That's why I can't get too annoyed at the promotion.... let's just be grateful for the incredible comedy they keep providing.

Four attempts, man :2funny:

That's my thoughts on it too, League 1 standard is so bad I expected a club of their size to get out of it no bother but it took 4 attempts

and even this latest one was touch and go, they relied on some late winners to just make sure they even got to the play offs

If they are to challenge for promotion then there's a lot of work and money needed

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

I actually think Ashley might look to try and pick them up cheaply.

Their stadium and training ground is a step up from most Championship teams, but a noose around their neck in League One.

He might think he could get them on the cheap and be able to mastermind his way into the Premier League by buying the right players (which he won’t do), much like what he hoped to do with Derby.

Oh I’d love that.  Best part is that they’d never, ever be able to complain about his running of the club, as being guilty of ‘mag-like behaviour’ is of more import than SAFC being run properly.  After the initial rush of telling themselves how grateful they’ll be, the mounting fewm - with no ability to vent, per the above - would be fantastically entertaining.

They’ll return to the PL at some point, I don’t doubt that.  Rebuilding in the second division takes time, but look at Luton - a well-run club can build over a couple of years.  Problem is, salmon pants and Co are still running things - a return via the trap door still appears more likely than getting out via promotion. 

Thought it would just be one and that was hilarious enough. We've been spoilt really. The only downside is really only denying me one more hearty chuckle this evening before moving on by tomorrow morning and seems a bit mean really when I'm not even watching the goals of their defeats.

Never could have imagined they'd be down there that long. Disappointed, but was going to happen before too long. I'd have been much more worried a year ago when I was worried we'd go down and they'd beat us in the championship, or end up leapfrogging us into the PL.

Probably shit or bust for them yesterday.

One more year in the 3rd division might've seen them off in permanent stagnation. I've watched a bit of them this season, tbf, & thought they were too good to not get promoted. Given that I knew they'd win via the play-offs. 

It's a shit standard, for sure, but don't forget we got knocked out the FA Cup by Cambridge. 

Next year they've a core of "decent" players that'll hold thier own in the Champo but no more than that so alot will depend of incoming helped by having a reasonable manager. He's got form. 

I can't see a meteoric rise upto the Premier league anytime soon tho. 

Plenty more chuckles to be had, methinks. 

Guest HTT II
12 hours ago, Mike said:

Might hoy some warning points on you for this like. :badyao:

Again, someone on their forum said it was our final, although I assume that person meant our final to hope they lose.

Ah fuck it I’m no Scouser mackem Mike OK :lol:

But…

I had about 5 mates down there at Wembley and half my son’s team-mates are little mackem cunts so I’m kind of happy for them.

Guest HTT II
13 hours ago, Dr Venkman said:

Give HTT a break, he knows every single person that works for SAFC personally.

I turned down a Wembo ticket as I didn’t want to take up the place of a massive lads fan.

On a serious note, them being in the Champo is all good for grassroots footy here in the NE, they have had to cut so much at their academy which meant young coaches were let go or new young coaches couldn’t be given opportunities and had they not went up I was told they would have done away with several of what they call their shadow academy groups, meaning many kids and coaches losing out. Rivalry aside, I’m probably a bigger supporter of grassroots football these days than NUFC.

32 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

3 hours after the final whistle and they're already big-time charlies :) . That 2 year old interview must've burned a hole in Gooch's cold L1 heart

the utter prick 

8 hours ago, Ketsbaia said:

Four attempts [emoji38]

Four years down there :lol:

That's why I can't get too annoyed at the promotion.... let's just be grateful for the incredible comedy they keep providing.

Four attempts, man :2funny:

And some dafties on here are scared they'll be back in the PL in 3. More chance they'll be back in L1 going in to administration.

35 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Picking fights with Wycombe Wanderers man.[emoji38]

Can't be arsed to verify but someone commented on the fact the Wycombe player he's retweeted, gleefully, subsequently got promoted, left said club for another then has ventured into management. Slightly emphasises the length SAFC lingered "down there" 

Not quit the "gotcha" he thinks

Guest HTT II

The Champo is so competitive and it’s all about consistency, I can’t see sunderland going up next season or for a few after that, not even with investment. 

Guest HTT II
42 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Picking fights with Wycombe Wanderers man.[emoji38]

They’ll be booing and shouting at Akinfenwa‘s statue one day.

Oh, they won then? Bless them. 

Be interesting to see how they get on next season. A relegation battle would be hilarious as I assume they’re already expecting to go straight up again. The quality I saw in those two play off semis was dreadful, and they don’t have a pot to piss in, do they?

Either way, even if/when they ended up getting promoted to the PL, we’ll be so far ahead of them they’ll never be able to compete on our level.

*To all the mackems who’ll undoubtedly be reading this, start reading from this point and ignore the above… I spent all night crying myself to sleep. Not sure how I’ll ever get over this.

Just now, HTT II said:

The Champo is so competitive and it’s all about consistency, I can’t see sunderland going up next season or for a few after that, not even with investment. 

Could be the summer they get rid of Donald & Methven.

Iirc, they've got to match the other owners investment & can't. 

Can only assume they'll get their pay day. 

Guest HTT II

Btw I thought it was a decent game despite the lack of quality and they obviously fully deserved to win, they have one or two players who are too good for League One, but can they step it up in the Championship?

:lol: Is that really the dig Gooch thinks it is considering Wycombe made it to the Champo before them that very season? Well done on getting there two years after them, lads..

Picking fights with Wycombe. :lol: :lol:

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Groundhog63 said:

Could be the summer they get rid of Donald & Methven.

Iirc, they've got to match the other owners investment & can't. 

Can only assume they'll get their pay day. 

Whoever owns the majority has to buy them out at a hefty price, I think they will cling on for a few years yet.

16 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Whoever owns the majority has to buy them out at a hefty price, I think they will cling on for a few years yet.

Sure I read on Ready To Groom that the structure in place means ALL shareholders are obligated to contribute towards investment an amount equal to their share percentages

If that's the case and the two Oxford lads aint got the moolah then the youngun can buy them out on the cheap?

Having said that it could've been a post off Grumpy so utter bollox.

Their manager has done well tbf. I don't even know his name but he has handled things well. Hopefully they'll get their own badge which doesn't look like a bastardised version of ours at some point. 

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

Their manager has done well tbf. I don't even know his name but he has handled things well. Hopefully they'll get their own badge which doesn't look like a bastardised version of ours at some point. 

Alex Neil? Ex Norwich manager