sunderland in the EFL

Big River

1 minute ago, OpenC said:

Aye, friend of mine with a season ticket says there are always bairns looking for bother, right enough. I must have had a very sheltered existence, have never seen any bother at a football game ever though I don't doubt it happens.

Wasn't there a spell of that here this season by the away coaches, Everton and another game ?

You're not responsible for RTG or every Sunderland fan's behaviour I know Teddy. But on their 'bother' thread here's this about their teenage hooligans;

They split into two groups surrounded some Swansea lads who had been chanting stuff about Adam Johnson ... They’re young and on their Todd could get knocked over by a feather but they’re game, organised and a mob. Much more dangerous than the crew that had Deer stalker hats and hung around the Roker Pie shop back in ‘84.

Love the detail about some Roker Pie shop hat wearing idiots from 40 years ago [emoji38]

But the stupid thing is, by glorifying it in this way they encourage it. We'll equally have knackers that love this stuff don't get me wrong, as does every club.

And yeah, championship refs were routinely dreadful when we were there. Not really sure what you do about it, though. It's not like they were biased, they were just rubbish.

Started going to Toon games in the early 80s and honestly, can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times I saw any serious disorder at a game, main one being Spurs in the cup in 87 and maybe at Liverpool in 85 and once in town against Man Utd around Easter 87.

For it to be happening, even on a small scale, at basically every home game, I mean makes Sunderland look like the land that time forgot. Maybe it's a thing that's on the rise generally? I've read about a couple of incidents on Barrack Rd at recent Toon games with Chelsea in particular acting themselves.

2 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Started going to Toon games in the early 80s and honestly, can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times I saw any serious disorder at a game, main one being Spurs in the cup in 87 and maybe at Liverpool in 85 and once in town against Man Utd around Easter 87.

For it to be happening, even on a small scale, at basically every home game, I mean makes Sunderland look like the land that time forgot. Maybe it's a thing that's on the rise generally? I've read about a couple of incidents on Barrack Rd at recent Toon games with Chelsea in particular acting themselves.

Depends what you mean by serious disorder ? Most of the 80s there was lots of bother against most of the larger teams at home and everyone away.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

Depends what you mean by serious disorder ? Most of the 80s there was lots of bother against most of the larger teams at home and everyone away.

Talking about running battles with Spurs down Seven Sisters and utter mayhem outside before during and after that game. Running scraps with Man Utd in town at Easter. It was more a comment on the frequency of serious bother, I never saw all that much (probably attended 30ish games a season 83 onwards), never mind at every single home game. Not counting the posturing and yelling at opposing fans that certainly went on most games.

17 minutes ago, madras said:

Wasn't there a spell of that here this season by the away coaches, Everton and another game ?

was bother after Chelsea outside the black bull and Liverpool. 

Likeminded idiots coming across each other. 

8 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Talking about running battles with Spurs down Seven Sisters and utter mayhem outside before during and after that game. Running scraps with Man Utd in town at Easter. It was more a comment on the frequency of serious bother, I never saw all that much (probably attended 30ish games a season 83 onwards), never mind at every single home game. Not counting the posturing and yelling at opposing fans that certainly went on most games.

Chelsea, West Ham, Man Utd, Liverpool and Leeds were very dodgy early to mid 80s. Chelsea especially about 3 yrs off the trot, particularly at the top of Leazes Terrace where the road separates it from Leazes Park for some reason.

Edit....The aways before promotion early 80s were wild. Don't think I went to one which wasn't like the wild west, police not having a clue, locals coming down from the hills to test themselves against city folk.

Edited by madras

Just now, madras said:

Chelsea, West Ham, Man Utd, Liverpool and Leeds were very dodgy early to mid 80s. Chelsea especially about 3 yrs off the trot, particularly at the top of Leazes Terrace where the road separates it from Leazes Park for some reason.

Can only comment on what I personally saw. We only played Leeds a couple of times in the cup that I recall in the 80s, missed the 89 game. Elland Road a different story. West Ham brought some tiny followings, rarely saw anything with them. Didn't see any bother with Liverpool at home but saw a fair bit at Anfield in April 85. Cunts with Stanleys. Aware of the Farmers Rest thing with Chelsea around 86. Man Utd certainly caused plenty of bother at a couple of home games and brought a fair following. Got hit with coins and a pie at Old Trafford in 87 when Mirandinha scored but i'd not count that :lol:

9 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

I’ve obviously not witnessed it first hand but if there were any serious bother it would be on YouTube. 

Id hazard a guess that this is teenage charvas in their Xmas Cp and SI gear posturing. That dangermous fella seems to know what’s going on despite being in his 40s I’d guess. But noncey  if you ask me. 

30 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Aye, friend of mine with a season ticket says there are always bairns looking for bother, right enough. I must have had a very sheltered existence, have never seen any bother at a football game ever though I don't doubt it happens.

I’m not sure how anyone can be arsed, If you win happy days go and have a pint, If you get beat get me home. Standing around looking for bother, then probably run away anyway, embarrasing every single one of them.

26 minutes ago, Abacus said:

You're not responsible for RTG or every Sunderland fan's behaviour I know Teddy. But on their 'bother' thread here's this about their teenage hooligans;

They split into two groups surrounded some Swansea lads who had been chanting stuff about Adam Johnson ... They’re young and on their Todd could get knocked over by a feather but they’re game, organised and a mob. Much more dangerous than the crew that had Deer stalker hats and hung around the Roker Pie shop back in ‘84.

Love the detail about some Roker Pie shop hat wearing idiots from 40 years ago [emoji38]

But the stupid thing is, by glorifying it in this way they encourage it. We'll equally have knackers that love this stuff don't get me wrong, as does every club.

And yeah, championship refs were routinely dreadful when we were there. Not really sure what you do about it, though. It's not like they were biased, they were just rubbish.

It’s just some knacker who unfortunatley has a mouth on the internet, the majority of our fans are good folk like your own.

26 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

I’m not sure 30 or so idiots in a 40,000 crowd is a fair metric to judge the fanbase to be honest.

It’ll be the same 30 week in, week out until they either get knicked, belted or both.

2 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Can only comment on what I personally saw. We only played Leeds a couple of times in the cup that I recall in the 80s, missed the 89 game. Elland Road a different story. West Ham brought some tiny followings, rarely saw anything with them. Didn't see any bother with Liverpool at home but saw a fair bit at Anfield in April 85. Cunts with Stanleys. Aware of the Farmers Rest thing with Chelsea around 86. Man Utd certainly caused plenty of bother at a couple of home games and brought a fair following. Got hit with coins and a pie at Old Trafford in 87 when Mirandinha scored but i'd not count that :lol:

The Chelseas Farmers thing was part of a spell with them. I think that was retaliation for the Kings Road. Liverpool were bother down by the Central and then a bit on Waterloo Street that was the first game up here with them after the FA Cup game.

23 minutes ago, madras said:

Edit....The aways before promotion early 80s were wild. Don't think I went to one which wasn't like the wild west, police not having a clue, locals coming down from the hills to test themselves against city folk.

Yeah away games in the 80s were something else. Often times, it was a vibe or a feeling more than anything actually happening. Remember going to Blackpool in the league cup and me and a couple of friends got followed near the seafront and then confronted by some big lads. Thought we were gonna get our heads kicked in, turned out to be Toon lads :lol: was so relieved. That said, after game with Forest at City Ground in 86 or 87 last game of the season, there was a 30 each side scrap for a good 2-3 minutes on the pitch after the game. Different times :lol:

4 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Yeah away games in the 80s were something else. Often times, it was a vibe or a feeling more than anything actually happening. Remember going to Blackpool in the league cup and me and a couple of friends got followed near the seafront and then confronted by some big lads. Thought we were gonna get our heads kicked in, turned out to be Toon lads :lol: was so relieved. That said, after game with Forest at City Ground in 86 or 87 last game of the season, there was a 30 each side scrap for a good 2-3 minutes on the pitch after the game. Different times :lol:

At times Carlisle (3-1 defeat, Waddle scored) was like a Street full of Andy Capp style fight, cloud of dust with arms and legs sticking out. Bolton, Keegans 2nd away game was kicking off all over inside and out Man City Bank Holiday Monday likewise, aided by really bad policing having us queue next to them at basically adjacent turnstiles.

It seemed like it really was more often than not back then away from home.

1 hour ago, madras said:

And Chelsea, and Leeds. Happens fairly regularly outside the away end and towards Barrack Road as well as round the station although we aren't pathetic enough to boast about it as, well, it's hardly something to boast about.

41 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Was something with Middlesbrough in 90/91 down by the goose and gardens that's been documented.

Nothing in the ground. Nobody was interested in the game.

Middlesbrough put the windows through in the Three Bulls.

48 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Middlesbrough put the windows through in the Three Bulls.

so did Coventry iirc and a late kick off fa cup game. Man City saw a lot of bother and about 60 citeh fans arrested in and around Percy street 

I’ve got absolutely no issue with a fan base doing what they can to create a better atmosphere - it worked for us so fair play to them. 

Although apparently we were really embarrassing for doing the flag thing and yet they’ve copied it. Probably the same lot that wouldn’t be happy with Saudi investment [emoji38]