sunderland in the EFL

Big River

2 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

There is a bit of ying and yang between some supporters of both clubs over attendances that's endured through history. 

I think the current interest is largely due to SAFC regularly announcing full houses when it's clear to everyone it's half empty. 

It's laughable and worthy of satire

Exactly this.

No-one denies that Sunderland carry a very strong support, always have.

@TeddySAFC

What's the thoughts behind buying these young lads either from France or the ones from PL Reserve teams? Is the hope to buy low and sell high and consistently churn out that type of profit or is it keep them and hope they can progress with the club for years?

From the ones you've brought in this season and the few games I've seen I'd say Ba has probably looked the best, I'm not counting Amad as there's no option to buy. I can't see you picking up the Michut option or him wanting to stay really and I'm not sure with Alese he technically doesn't look great at left back but obviously a decent athlete.

28 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

Another young French wizard signed, We will have to hold a French day soon :cool:

Who can forget the genius of Sunlun's St Niall's Day, when your fans were asked to turn up in Irish colours against.....Plymouth.

One of my favourite ever RTG posts, was someone describing how he furiously ripped his orange eyebrows off, when Plymouth scored their 3rd.

Never change. 🤣

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/st-nialls-day-turns-sour-26415163.html

Edited by UncleBingo

2 minutes ago, KDT said:

@TeddySAFC

What's the thoughts behind buying these young lads either from France or the ones from PL Reserve teams? Is the hope to buy low and sell high and consistently churn out that type of profit or is it keep them and hope they can progress with the club for years?

From the ones you've brought in this season and the few games I've seen I'd say Ba has probably looked the best, I'm not counting Amad as there's no option to buy. I can't see you picking up the Michut option or him wanting to stay really and I'm not sure with Alese he technically doesn't look great at left back but obviously a decent athlete.

I think it'll be in the hope they can continue developing into Premiership players but then there will be a balance that if offers come in for some of them that you can't turn down, We will cash in and you'll make a profit.

No one really knows what the long term plan is with Kyril, Nobody really knows how much he is going to spend as their is still no indication of how much he's worth and when he gets access to his mothers pot really. He seems to have serious connections across the footballing / business network so something may develop their in time, Your guess is as good as mine. He's put a lot of money into the infrastructure behind the scenes and invested heavily in the recruitment and coaching teams that had previously been left to rot.

Alese is really good, I would say he's one of the best one's considering he's been playing left back but he's a centre half. All the new young lads seem decent to be fair, The one who hasn't done much is Bennette who was arguably the most promising on paper.

4 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Who can forget the genius of Sunlun's St Niall's Day, when your fans were asked to turn up in Irish colours against.....Plymouth.

One of my favourite ever RTG posts, was someone describing how he furiously ripped his orange eyebrows off, when Plymouth scored their 3rd.

Never change. 🤣

Shush man 😂 

Aye, no one has said that Sunderland don’t have a good support. I think what people get at is how it’s they announce higher attendances m then they get and those on RTG stand by the official numbers. If you go back though, other clubs like Arsenal have been criticised for the same thing, even Ashley fudged our numbers in his last few seasons here. The difference is those who stand by those numbers.

If you look at attendances, capacity, and the 1 club cities, Newcastle are 1st with Sunderland next in line. That’s a pretty damming indication that both clubs get good support and the area is a football hotbed. The 2 clubs are 14 miles apart, there is areas on Tyne & Wear that houses supporters for both clubs, but largely we are both 1 club cities and we both get the largest attendances out of 1 club cities.

Derby, Leicester, Southampton, and to a lesser extent Leeds are nowhere near.

Another thing is supporters of your club not doing things because ‘It’s Mag behaviour’. So you won’t protest against your former owner when he was here because your rivals do it for theirs? You are struggling to get people to come to games with flags and scarves because your rivals have them?

It wasn’t that long ago your fans were having a whip around and sending flowers for Liam Sweeney & John Alder, and our fans were doing similar for Bradley Lowry.

When we put aside our footballing rivalry, we get along and do good for each other. Sometimes I wish your fans would just put things to aside for your club, and to be honest I wish some of our fans would stop with the songs about your club at random games etc.

17 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Aye, no one has said that Sunderland don’t have a good support. I think what people get at is how it’s they announce higher attendances m then they get and those on RTG stand by the official numbers. If you go back though, other clubs like Arsenal have been criticised for the same thing, even Ashley fudged our numbers in his last few seasons here. The difference is those who stand by those numbers.

If you look at attendances, capacity, and the 1 club cities, Newcastle are 1st with Sunderland next in line. That’s a pretty damming indication that both clubs get good support and the area is a football hotbed. The 2 clubs are 14 miles apart, there is areas on Tyne & Wear that houses supporters for both clubs, but largely we are both 1 club cities and we both get the largest attendances out of 1 club cities.

Derby, Leicester, Southampton, and to a lesser extent Leeds are nowhere near.

Another thing is supporters of your club not doing things because ‘It’s Mag behaviour’. So you won’t protest against your former owner when he was here because your rivals do it for theirs? You are struggling to get people to come to games with flags and scarves because your rivals have them?

It wasn’t that long ago your fans were having a whip around and sending flowers for Liam Sweeney & John Alder, and our fans were doing similar for Bradley Lowry.

When we put aside our footballing rivalry, we get along and do good for each other. Sometimes I wish your fans would just put things to aside for your club, and to be honest I wish some of our fans would stop with the songs about your club at random games etc.

Good post but the bit in bold is just because of what you are reading on the SMB, The SMB is not a fair reflection of normal Sunderland fans.

5 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

Good post but the bit in bold is just because of what you are reading on the SMB, The SMB is not a fair reflection of normal Sunderland fans.

No it’s not, but if you read through the majority of this thread, the jokes and laughs are aimed at SMB/RTG.

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

No it’s not, but if you read through the majority of this thread, the jokes and laughs are aimed at SMB/RTG.

In my 30 years attending just about every single home game, I have never heard someone say 'Don't take scalfs or flags as it's Mag behaviour' - Yet I see the same posters on the SMB saying it, Slight coincidence. 

5 hours ago, TeddySAFC said:

I mean, it's never half empty but if that's the line you want to go with fair enough, makes the entire debate futile, To my knowledge they haven't announced a full house either.

Well there definitely has been many games over the years that have been half empty there. Most of 03/04 and every game pre Keane that season (plus a lot of cup games) but if by 'its never half empty' you mean modern times, I don't know, the only pictures I've seen recently are Burnley and West Brom (from the pictures was pushing half empty).

7 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Well there definitely has been many games over the years that have been half empty there. Most of 03/04 and every game pre Keane that season (plus a lot of cup games) but if by 'its never half empty' you mean modern times, I don't know, the only pictures I've seen recently are Burnley and West Brom (from the pictures was pushing half empty).

I've already said there is a large drop off for midweek games in comparison to weekends and West Brom was a Monday night.

Burnley was a good crowd so no idea where the half empty theory is coming from, the attendance was recorded as 39,000 and that seems about right, it certainly isn't under 24,000 [emoji38]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgah4Q-41l8&t=110s - Lower bowl pretty much full for Burnley. 

Edited by TeddySAFC

4 hours ago, TeddySAFC said:

That's fair - the significant minority of posters fall into 2 groups: local lads and lasses but don't go to games or are southern exiles who now sneer at the region and it's people.

2 hours ago, TeddySAFC said:

I've already said there is a large drop off for midweek games in comparison to weekends and West Brom was a Monday night.

Burnley was a good crowd so no idea where the half empty theory is coming from, the attendance was recorded as 39,000 and that seems about right, it certainly isn't under 24,000 [emoji38]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgah4Q-41l8&t=110s - Lower bowl pretty much full for Burnley. 

It was only West Brom I said looked half empty. That and Burnley are the only games I've seen footage of this season to judge anything on was what I meant.

7 hours ago, UncleBingo said:

Never change. 🤣

24,000 there (exactly half full) asked to turn up wearing green, for a match against a team who play in green [emoji38]

You really couldn't make it up [emoji38]

20 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

It was only West Brom I said looked half empty. That and Burnley are the only games I've seen footage of this season to judge anything on was what I meant.

He must be blind there are loads of gaps in the lower bowl for that Burnley game. The only time I haven't seen noticeable gaps for a home game was the one against Boro. Their actual crowds are nowhere near their official crowds. 

Just now, et tu brute said:

He must be blind there are loads of gaps in the lower bowl for that Burnley game. The only time I haven't seen noticeable gaps for a home game was the one against Boro. Their actual crowds are nowhere near their official crowds. 

...and they know it.

2 hours ago, TeddySAFC said:

Being generous there's at least 30 seats free on every block in shot of the camera there.  Was the Premier Concourse open for that game?

37 minutes ago, Sima said:

Being generous there's at least 30 seats free on every block in shot of the camera there.  Was the Premier Concourse open for that game?

If there was 30 free in every block theres 67 blocks so that works out at 2,010 from the lower bowl capacity of 32,479 which is the max available. (Theres nee way there was 30 missing in each block by the way, The south stand and SWC is full every week)

Add in 2K from the away following + 1700 ‘corporate’ + a few blocks of the Premier Concourse the attendance is just about right as given as 39,000

9 hours ago, TeddySAFC said:

I've asked this before, Why does it bother people?

The support is fantastic and the majority of the lower bowl is full for weekend home games, It seems to dip off significantly for midweek games.

it matters massively to SAFC fans , I can show you the evidence or go look at RTG . The lower is never full , again show me the evidence it’s full? 

i await you backing up your post 

2 minutes ago, GWN said:

it matters massively to SAFC fans , I can show you the evidence or go look at RTG . The lower is never full , again show me the evidence it’s full? 

i await you backing up your post 

It was full last Sunday [emoji38]

25 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

If there was 30 free in every block theres 67 blocks so that works out at 2,010 from the lower bowl capacity of 32,479 which is the max available. (Theres nee way there was 30 missing in each block by the way, The south stand and SWC is full every week)

Add in 2K from the away following + 1700 ‘corporate’ + a few blocks of the Premier Concourse the attendance is just about right as given as 39,000

There’s shitloads of seats in the front row empty on the video, man. 

5 minutes ago, Sima said:

There’s shitloads of seats in the front row empty on the video, man. 

I’m not getting into a tit for tat argument over seats, On the video there is evidentally not 30 seats free in every block.

I honestly couldnt give a shite what our recorded attendances are and find it mad some of you are bothered by it.