General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

36 minutes ago, Scoreboard82 said:

Did we not get stuffed in an FA cup semi v Man Utd in Cardiff circa 2004? Happy to wipe it from my memory of course.

Loads missing from that 

aye it was 2004 4-1 I think 

3 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

2005. Shit day.

The hours I spent waiting in the pissing rain outside Cardiff Central to then get a train back to London packed with Man Utd fans will forever be etched in my brain. 

16 minutes ago, Disco said:

The hours I spent waiting in the pissing rain outside Cardiff Central to then get a train back to London packed with Man Utd fans will forever be etched in my brain. 

We were on the one bus out of God knows how many dozen that broke down about an hour into the journey back. We were stood in a lay-by awaiting the replacement for an inordinate period. The Man U fans driving past in their own buses seemed to quite enjoy seeing us there. Atrocious day from start to finish.

1 hour ago, Superior Acuña said:

Character-building day for sure... Fuckin miserable.

What the fuck's going on with Ronaldo being so free for the 4th

The day Nicky Butt forgot what colour and club he was playing for.

10 hours ago, tgarve said:

Loads missing from that 

aye it was 2004 4-1 I think 

Let me know of any QF/sixth round/last 8, or better you think are missing and I’ll add them. Would be nice to have an inclusive record.

I need to add Chelsea EFL QF this year, and Man Utd Cardiff debacle. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

7 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Let me know of any QF/sixth round/last 8, or better you think are missing and I’ll add them. Would be nice to have an inclusive record.

I need to add Chelsea EFL QF this year, and Man Utd Cardiff debacle. 

Btw you've got your Fairs Cup years ordered a different way around to all the other ones (i.e. in that case you have 1970 above 1969)

18 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Added Europa League and two domestic games to our cup record of QF or better. 
IMG_7941.thumb.jpeg.58df702e2c9cb05925975571846c6eed.jpeg
IMG_7943.thumb.jpeg.b9e067d6c83b389583dae2bc45695c4d.jpeg

What about the 1905, 1906, 1910, 1911, 1924 FA Cup runs?

edit: not that it matters, but we did win the Charity Shield in 1909

double edit: just realised you’re after QFs.  You can add 1902, 1913, 1915 (the Edwardian team sticks in my head, even if 1913 & 1915 aren’t technically Edwardian).  We also lost a QF in 1961, in the relegation season after Len White’s injury. 

I think we also made in 1930 or 1931 as well (can’t remember exactly)

Edited by TheBrownBottle

8 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

We were on the one bus out of God knows how many dozen that broke down about an hour into the journey back. We were stood in a lay-by awaiting the replacement for an inordinate period. The Man U fans driving past in their own buses seemed to quite enjoy seeing us there. Atrocious day from start to finish.

We'd drove to Gloucester the day  before, had the night out there then got the train in and out of Cardiff. We were in Wetherby on the return for food and beer, rang a friend who'd went by coach, we're an hour or so from home, they hadn't left the car park. 

Great weekend, shite match.

Edited by madras

Luke Edwards: I’m lead to believe Harvey Barnes is out for the season with a 1st degree pancake burn to the eyeball sustained today at the club training ground. 

Edited by BoSelecta

50 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

What about the 1905, 1906, 1910, 1911, 1924 FA Cup runs?

edit: not that it matters, but we did win the Charity Shield in 1909

double edit: just realised you’re after QFs.  You can add 1902, 1913, 1915 (the Edwardian team sticks in my head, even if 1913 & 1915 aren’t technically Edwardian).  We also lost a QF in 1961, in the relegation season after Len White’s injury. 

I think we also made in 1930 or 1931 as well (can’t remember exactly)

Earliest relevant FA cup I have is 1907-08 (see below which also omits the Europa League).  I’ll check different sources ?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/newcastle-united/pokalhistorie/verein/762

19 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

A record of our results in cup competitions where we have reached  the QF or better.

IMG_7935.thumb.jpeg.3328dea033e90663d0c1a39acab765ca.jpeg
IMG_7936.thumb.jpeg.750cbb2d94a7e5f3d9c7e3ec108ad762.jpeg

I was saying in the thread. In my lifetime our football heritage is 0 upsets or wins against really good teams at the business end-of-cup competitions. Our best wins are against 00's PSV and 90's Spurs.

We'll break it this decade, I'm convinced. But I think we're like Man City in that we'll have to be genuinely better than the opposition to win that first one or some type of generational curse-breaking performance. Arsenal in the FA Cup can get it done, likewise, Chelsea and Liverpool just have that belief that they can win any cup competition.

I couldn't see us winning a cup final the way Man U beat us last season atm. Particularly against a "bigger" side. We are a bit like England in that sense. Outside of England, when have we dealt with a "top" nation in the latter rounds? Not ever.  Most of it is down to ability but there is something missing mentality-wise.

Maybe I missed it but I couldn't see the FA Cup semi under Souness where we got smashed by Man U.

Edited by The College Dropout

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I was saying in the thread. In my lifetime our football heritage is 0 upsets or wins against really good teams at the business end-of-cup competitions. Our best wins are against 00's PSV and 90's Spurs.

We'll break it this decade, I'm convinced. But I think we're like Man City in that we'll have to be genuinely better than the opposition to win that first one or some type of generational curse-breaking performance. Arsenal in the FA Cup can get it done, likewise, Chelsea and Liverpool just have that belief that they can win any cup competition.

I couldn't see us winning a cup final the way Man U beat us last season atm. Particularly against a "bigger" side. We are a bit like England in that sense. Outside of England, when have we dealt with a "top" nation in the latter rounds? Not ever.  Most of it is down to ability but there is something missing mentality-wise.

Maybe I missed it but I couldn't see the FA Cup semi under Souness where we got smashed by Man U.

Beat Germany in the quarter finals in the last Euros.

Think the Cardiff weekend was up there with my best trips away despite the result. The night out beforehand was superb great memories, some brilliant pubs far better than Wembley, just a bit of a ball ache to get in and out the place.

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Earliest relevant FA cup I have is 1907-08 (see below which also omits the Europa League).  I’ll check different sources ?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/newcastle-united/pokalhistorie/verein/762

Here ye gan:

Sheff Utd 1-1 (h)

1-2(a)

Bolton away 2-0

The Wednesday (Sheff Wed) 1-0; Hyde Road  Manchester

0-2 Villa; Crystal Palace

2–2 Birmingham City (a), 3-0 (h) replay

2-0 Woolwich Arsenal (Arsenal) Victoria Ground Stoke

0-1 Everton

3-0 Leicester Fosse (Leicester City) (h)

2-0 Swindon - WHL

1-1 Barnsley CP; 2-0 Goodson

4-0 Derby County (h)

3-0 Chelsea; St Andrews

0-0 Bradford City; CP; 0-1 Old Trafford

0-0 Sunderland (a)

2-2 Sunderland (h)

0-3 Sunderland (h)

1-1 Chelsea (a)

0-1 (h)

1-0 Liverpool (h)

2-0 Man City St Andrews

2-0 villa

1-1 Hull city (h), 0-1 (a)

1-3 (h) Sheff Utd

11 minutes ago, 54 said:

Beat Germany in the quarter finals in the last Euros.

You missed the previous words - outside of England.

We beat them at Wembley. I don't think England has ever beaten a top national side in the latter rounds of a tournament outside of England. That was a weak Germany too.

A weak Italian side beat a generational Belgium, Spain & England (away) in one tournament. We've never come close.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Here ye gan:

Sheff Utd 1-1 (h)

1-2(a)

Bolton away 2-0

The Wednesday (Sheff Wed) 1-0; Hyde Road  Manchester

0-2 Villa; Crystal Palace

2–2 Birmingham City (a), 3-0 (h) replay

2-0 Woolwich Arsenal (Arsenal) Victoria Ground Stoke

0-1 Everton

3-0 Leicester Fosse (Leicester City) (h)

2-0 Swindon - WHL

1-1 Barnsley CP; 2-0 Goodson

4-0 Derby County (h)

3-0 Chelsea; St Andrews

0-0 Bradford City; CP; 0-1 Old Trafford

0-0 Sunderland (a)

2-2 Sunderland (h)

0-3 Sunderland (h)

1-1 Chelsea (a)

0-1 (h)

1-0 Liverpool (h)

2-0 Man City St Andrews

2-0 villa

1-1 Hull city (h), 0-1 (a)

1-3 (h) Sheff Utd

Thanks. Think I’ve already dropped them in above. Now in date order. 
Would definitely fancy seeing a repeat of the 1924 run! 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

11 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

Character-building day for sure... Fuckin miserable.

What the fuck's going on with Ronaldo being so free for the 4th

That third goal. Absolute catastrophe.