General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

2 hours ago, LFEE said:

Let’s see how it all plays out with her. After all she’s representing the International section of the fanbase in theory. Maybe her application highlighted some qualities the club see as advantageous for that role.

Not sure if many on here complaining applied for any of the roles but it was basically like a job interview in written form. Put myself forward unsuccessfully so unfortunately no N-O influence this time round 😆

Is Adam from Wor Flags not an NO poster?

If the club are successful then the plastic glory-seekers will outnumber us all.  It isn't something which should be looked forward to, just an inevitability.

NUFC's international supporter contingent will become less interesting and more plastic.  I like reading about why some poor sod elsewhere hitched themselves to this club - it is always interesting.  Sometimes its a player (Shearer etc), sometimes they saw an actually good NUFC side play, sometimes its the atmosphere which the club has reputation for - sometimes like @McDog it is because they actually liked drinking Brown Ale despite it giving people a hangover before they've finished the bottle (I wonder if @McDog knows that Brown Ale is traditionally known as 'dog' on Tyneside :) - perhaps that's the source of the handle on here?).  But the 'Penaldo' brigade will outnumber us all - the weird dick-measuring twats you see on twitter going on about 'small club' and 'oil club' and which trophies count and all that shite.

It all just seems far less interesting, and it is everything wrong with football, and at this point little can be done about it.

10 hours ago, SteV said:

It depends what she’s gonna be involved in really.

The club are trying to attract new fans, particularly from overseas. If they want to consult about how to do that, and perhaps events they could hold overseas, or something of that ilk, then in many ways she’s perfect for that.

Obviously there’s loads of other stuff she’d be far, far from perfect for, but as long as the club are sensible in what voices they listen to on each particular subject, it shouldn’t be a problem.

I think this point a few people have made us fair enough, but that would mean she should represent ‘new’ fans. New fans and international ones are not one and the same, though obviously there’s overlap.

Of course it’s difficult to put an arbitrary time limit on how long someone ‘should’ have supported the club. But surely we can all see two years is not nearly enough to have had any kind of representative experience or even know they’re still going to be a fan by the end of their 3 year term. Unless it was a position to represent U10 fans or something. 

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

If the club are successful then the plastic glory-seekers will outnumber us all.  It isn't something which should be looked forward to, just an inevitability.

NUFC's international supporter contingent will become less interesting and more plastic.  I like reading about why some poor sod elsewhere hitched themselves to this club - it is always interesting.  Sometimes its a player (Shearer etc), sometimes they saw an actually good NUFC side play, sometimes its the atmosphere which the club has reputation for - sometimes like @McDog it is because they actually liked drinking Brown Ale despite it giving people a hangover before they've finished the bottle (I wonder if @McDog knows that Brown Ale is traditionally known as 'dog' on Tyneside :) - perhaps that's the source of the handle on here?).  But the 'Penaldo' brigade will outnumber us all - the weird dick-measuring twats you see on twitter going on about 'small club' and 'oil club' and which trophies count and all that shite.

It all just seems far less interesting, and it is everything wrong with football, and at this point little can be done about it.

I did not know that. I had a Black Pomeranian named Hamish and often called him Hamish McDog. Rest his little soul.

34 minutes ago, McDog said:

I did not know that. I had a Black Pomeranian named Hamish and often called him Hamish McDog. Rest his little soul.

That's an excellent name for a dog mate :)

Yeah, Brown Ale was often called 'a bottle of dog' on Tyneside.  That's less common these days, tbf.

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

That's an excellent name for a dog mate :)

Yeah, Brown Ale was often called 'a bottle of dog' on Tyneside.  That's less common these days, tbf.

It's too sweet for me these days. IPAs for me.

4 minutes ago, McDog said:

It's too sweet for me these days. IPAs for me.

It always was for me - despite my handle (which is named after Tyneside's only comic-book superhero, the Brown Bottle; a mild-mannered accountant who gets his powers when he's pissed on Broon Ale - in the below making battle with his arch-nemesis, Cider Woman)

BrownBottle2.thumb.jpg.babbb4a4cb14481e2959206401e93320.jpg

Edited by TheBrownBottle

21 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Norwegian here. Was 7 years old when Alan Shearer scored after 10 seconds. I found that to be very cool.[emoji38] 1 week later my dad whos a Villa fan told me that he'd allow me to pick a different team (than Villa) if I wanted to, and I said Newcastle. It was the last season that we were in the Champions League until this one, so I don't remember any Champions League game with us up until the Milan away game this season. Been to St. James Park several times, and I really like visiting the city.

Imagine if that Shearer goal wasn't given due to handball. Who knows what club I could've picked if that goal didn't stand.;)

Edited by Erikse

5 hours ago, Erikse said:

Norwegian here. Was 7 years old when Alan Shearer scored after 10 seconds. I found that to be very cool.[emoji38] 1 week later my dad whos a Villa fan told me that he'd allow me to pick a different team (than Villa) if I wanted to, and I said Newcastle. It was the last season that we were in the Champions League until this one, so I don't remember any Champions League game with us up until the Milan away game this season. Been to St. Park several times, and I really like visiting the city.

Imagine if that Shearer goal wasn't given due to handball. Who knows what nasty club I could've picked if that goal didn't stand.;)

Haha yep, though you might have saved yourself a couple of decades of stress :) 

There used to be a lot of Norwegian fans who came across on ferries in the ‘90s - early ‘00s.  They were often shocked at how liberal the entertainment was in the pubs of Newcastle when I would sometimes talk to them. 

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

There used to be a lot of Norwegian fans who came across on ferries in the ‘90s - early ‘00s.  They were often shocked at how liberal the entertainment was in the pubs of Newcastle when I would sometimes talk to them. 

They’d have loved Cosy Joe’s Saturday full clout ripper if those days were considered liberal.

8 hours ago, Erikse said:

Norwegian here. Was 7 years old when Alan Shearer scored after 10 seconds. I found that to be very cool.[emoji38] 1 week later my dad whos a Villa fan told me that he'd allow me to pick a different team (than Villa) if I wanted to, and I said Newcastle. It was the last season that we were in the Champions League until this one, so I don't remember any Champions League game with us up until the Milan away game this season. Been to St. Park several times, and I really like visiting the city.

Imagine if that Shearer goal wasn't given due to handball. Who knows what nasty club I could've picked if that goal didn't stand.;)

You might have had a happier life 😉(to date…).

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

55 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

You might have had a happier life 😉(to date…).

Well, I was the type of kid to pick a completely random team, so it could've been a team like Birmingham, Bolton, Charlton, Leeds, Sunderland, West Brom, Blackburn or Middlesbrough.

There's a few there that would've made me even less happy to be fair.

1 minute ago, Erikse said:

Well, I was the type of kid to pick a completely random team, so it could've been a team like Birmingham, Bolton, Charlton, Leeds, Sunderland, West Brom, Blackburn or Middlesbrough.

I’ve seen Birmingham, Leeds, Blackburn & Middlesbrough all win major trophies mind :) 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’ve seen Birmingham, Leeds, Blackburn & Middlesbrough all win major trophies mind :) 

That's true. But not after 02/03, or am I wrong?

4 hours ago, Erikse said:

love that :lol: 

Starting watching football during World Cup 94; I was 8. Loved Italy and Roberto Baggio but didn’t know much about club football. Got into Milan and Blackburn (due to Shearer) in the fifa games but didn’t really have teams, just players. So roll on and as a huge shearer fan I supported England in Euro 96 as it was on espn2 here in the states. My dad and his brothers lived in London and Leicester for 10-15 years or so before my dad got married and moved to the US. So England was his national team of course and that helped. We just got the internet so followed him to Newcastle and the rest was history. A 27+ year long maddening love affair with this club.