General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Random observation:

Watching highlights from Newcastle - Nottingham Forest (Newcastle Utd v Nottingham F 1995/96 on youtube) and it seems Paul Bearer is in with home crowd at 09:01 - 09:04 :lol:

Guest reefatoon

Watching back through the highlights there, I forgot we actually had a fair few 1-0 wins too later in the season. Unfortunately not as many as Man Utd managed.

Les Ferdinand was incredible, what a beast of a striker he was that season, i remember i was only 9 or 10 years old back then but was gutted when him and Ginola left us for spurs.

I hated Spurs for years because we'd lose our best players to them despite finishing above them. Ruel Fox, Ginola, Ferdinand, Jenas, Modric and Harry Redknapp choosing them over us.

Les Ferdinand was incredible, what a beast of a striker he was that season, i remember i was only 9 or 10 years old back then but was gutted when him and Ginola left us for spurs.

I hated Spurs for years because we'd lose our best players to them despite finishing above them. Ruel Fox, Ginola, Ferdinand, Jenas, Modric and Harry Redknapp choosing them over us.

Don't forget Kevin Scott  :D

Oh, and Gazza  :'(

If we didn't go unnecessarily selling players it would have been interesting to see a lineup of Ginola, Asprilla, Ferdinand, Lee, Speed, Batty with JDT and Gillespie providing different options / formations.

Hell - even having Asprilla/Ferdinand as the main central striker with JDT supporting either of them, you could have had Gillespie and Ginola wide with Lee/Speed/Batty duking it out for the central positions.

However, I assume Les/Ginola funded Speed and JDT

If we didn't go unnecessarily selling players it would have been interesting to see a lineup of Ginola, Asprilla, Ferdinand, Lee, Speed, Batty with JDT and Gillespie providing different options / formations.

Hell - even having Asprilla/Ferdinand as the main central striker with JDT supporting either of them, you could have had Gillespie and Ginola wide with Lee/Speed/Batty duking it out for the central positions.

Did we not play Speed wide left when he first came with competition from Stephen Glass?

Did we not play Speed wide left when he first came with competition from Stephen Glass?

aye we did, i think that was his natural position before Sir Bob moved him centrally as his legs went.

Even so - competition for places would have been nice.

Guest Howaythetoon

Some of Dalglish’s signings were cracking, Given, Dabizas, Nobby, Hamman, Speed, JDT even who didn’t work out.

aye we did, i think that was his natural position before Sir Bob moved him centrally as his legs went.

Even so - competition for places would have been nice.

Dalglish certainly brought in a mixed bag during his time here.

https://www.nufc.com/2019-20html/transfers-dalglish.html

Certainly would have been a coup to have got Mellberg in, as too Brad Friedel under Keegan.

Replacing Robbie Elliott for Pistone was a stinker. Even more so playing him right-back ahead of Watson in the cup final in 98.

Some of Dalglish’s signings were cracking, Given, Dabizas, Nobby, Hamman, Speed, JDT even who didn’t work out.

Yeah, no doubt about it - Given, Dabizas, Nobby and Speed went on to to be legends for us under Sir Bobby. JDT should have had Sir Les and Big Al nurturing him. Hammann was Gullit though. My main issue is the Rush/Barnes/Pistone idiocy.

Guest Howaythetoon

Yeah, no doubt about it - Given, Dabizas, Nobby and Speed went on to to be legends for us under Sir Bobby. JDT should have had Sir Les and Big Al nurturing him. Hammann was Gullit though. My main issue is the Rush/Barnes/Pistone idiocy.

Wow, I though Hamman was a Dalglish signing ha ha.

Guest neesy111

Wow, I though Hamman was a Dalglish signing ha ha.

He was a Dalglish signing.

17 years since this.

http://www.true-faith.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Graveson_Bernard.jpg

Turns out that if we won that game we would've gone 3 points behind Arsenal and Man Utd with 6 games left, one of which was Man Utd at SJP. Which went well.

Assuming the league starts again in the rumoured June date. Where would that leave us in players who are injured returning back?

I assume Dubravka will be back, how about Willems and Dummett?

Guest Howaythetoon

6-2. Scholes hattrick. Were 6-1 down for a good chunk of the game.

I remember Jenas got a screamer, Scholes esque. Looking back the media did a job on Dyer’s comments regarding Scholes and his England place prior to the match which Fergie use to good effect, Scholes was world-class that day, a league above anyone on the pitch in terms of his performance.

We just fell apart defensively that day, which we were always as capable of doing in any game as much as we were capable of destroying someone under Sir Bobby.

It’s remarkable what he achieved in such a short period though given what he inherited and that back line. By then Shearer was no longer world-class and you could say he was our only real top-class player, yet we were so good on our day.

If only he had of taken over from KK... we’d have won a title or a cup or two at the least. European glory would have been achievable too.

So near, yet so far, the story of NUFC’s entire history from formation to the day 𝐀𝐬𝐡𝐥𝐞𝐲 arrived where we stopped being a football club.

6-2. Scholes hattrick. Were 6-1 down for a good chunk of the game.

I remember Jenas got a screamer, Scholes esque. Looking back the media did a job on Dyer’s comments regarding Scholes and his England place which Fergie use to good effect, didn’t he get like 4?

We just fell apart defensively that day, which we were always as capable of doing in any game as much as we were capable of destroying someone under Sir Bobby.

It’s remarkable what he achieved in such a short period given what he inherited and that back line. By then Shearer was no longer world-class and you could say he was our only real top-class player, yet we were so good on our day.

I’d only he had of taken over from KK... we’d have won a title or a cup of two at the least. European glory would have been achievable too.

So near, yet so far, story of NUFC’s entire history from formation to the day 𝐀𝐬𝐡𝐥𝐞𝐲 arrived where we stopped being a football club.

Scholes scored more goals at St James Park then KFD.