General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Assuming the league starts again in the rumoured June date. Where would that leave us in players who are injured returning back?

I assume Dubravka will be back, how about Willems and Dummett?

Willems' loan was terminated.

Guest Howaythetoon

6-2. Scholes hattrick. Were 6-1 down for a good chunk of the game.

I remember Jenas got a screamer, Scholes esque. Looking back the media did a job on Dyer’s comments regarding Scholes and his England place which Fergie use to good effect, didn’t he get like 4?

We just fell apart defensively that day, which we were always as capable of doing in any game as much as we were capable of destroying someone under Sir Bobby.

It’s remarkable what he achieved in such a short period given what he inherited and that back line. By then Shearer was no longer world-class and you could say he was our only real top-class player, yet we were so good on our day.

I’d only he had of taken over from KK... we’d have won a title or a cup of two at the least. European glory would have been achievable too.

So near, yet so far, story of NUFC’s entire history from formation to the day 𝐀𝐬𝐡𝐥𝐞𝐲 arrived where we stopped being a football club.

Scholes scored more goals at St James Park then KFD.

And KFC

6-2. Scholes hattrick. Were 6-1 down for a good chunk of the game.

I remember Jenas got a screamer, Scholes esque. Looking back the media did a job on Dyer’s comments regarding Scholes and his England place prior to the match which Fergie use to good effect, Scholes was world-class that day, a league above anyone on the pitch in terms of his performance.

We just fell apart defensively that day, which we were always as capable of doing in any game as much as we were capable of destroying someone under Sir Bobby.

It’s remarkable what he achieved in such a short period though given what he inherited and that back line. By then Shearer was no longer world-class and you could say he was our only real top-class player, yet we were so good on our day.

If only he had of taken over from KK... we’d have won a title or a cup or two at the least. European glory would have been achievable too.

So near, yet so far, the story of NUFC’s entire history from formation to the day 𝐀𝐬𝐡𝐥𝐞𝐲 arrived where we stopped being a football club.

I seem to recall us having to make some early changes first half or is my memory playing tricks on me? Bellamy/Robert/Solano perhaps.

Assuming the league starts again in the rumoured June date. Where would that leave us in players who are injured returning back?

I assume Dubravka will be back, how about Willems and Dummett?

Willems' loan was terminated.

It wasn't, he just wasn't in the 25 man squad list.

Think it has to be that way to not lose the option on him.

Two red cards here - League Cup quarter final too

Ginola had a really poor spell after Dixon roughed him up  :rant:

https://twitter.com/richysouthern/status/1247961875448463366?s=21  :rant:

Cried my eyes out that night because we lost and could not get to a semifinal. Plus Ginola my fav player was sent off. Hated Dixon and whoever the ref was  for a long time after that too.

Remember the touch line reporter saying Ginola was furiously shouting "why won't they let me play football?" as he went off, and 12 year old me thinking "omg our left winger is a proper tortured soul poetic genius, it's so sad".

Two red cards here - League Cup quarter final too

Ginola had a really poor spell after Dixon roughed him up  :rant:

https://twitter.com/richysouthern/status/1247961875448463366?s=21  :rant:

Cried my eyes out that night because we lost and could not get to a semifinal. Plus Ginola my fav player was sent off. Hated Dixon and whoever the ref was  for a long time after that too.

Watched it back on VHS recently and at full time they go to interview Keegan and they're asking him about the ref and all that sort of thing and KK just says "the better team won on the night, here's the man you should be speaking to" and he puts an arm round Ian Wright and then leaves them to it. Thought it was really classy.

What a fucking player. Remember seeing him play for Charlton up here the season before and he looked canny but nobody would have thought what kind of player he’d turn into. Down to KK’s genius, first to convince him to sign for us and not Boro who were in the Premier League and then convert him into one of the best central midfielders in the country in the space of 3 seasons.

Loved watching those goals back. It was absolute carnage in the Gallowgate when he scored against Birmingham. We were 2-0 down and then scored twice in a few minutes to level it up, proper mental crowd surge,  I ended up about 30 yards away from my dad when the celebrations calmed down. What a season that was man.

Guest Howaythetoon

Loved Rob Lee. Great player. And goals!

Pound for pound our best ever signing and one of our greatest ever players. He’d be worth 100m today if the likes of Maddison are rated at 50m etc. He was much more than a goalscorer too, he was a very very good footballer all-round.

Guest Howaythetoon

Great comments from Carragher about him last week and well deserved!

Massively underrated!

What were his comments?

Was something like he was the Gerrard & Lampard of his time.

In terms of goal scoring maybe he was similar, but he was a totally different type of player to Gerrard. Very similar to Lampard of course. What people may not remember or know is that Lee wasn’t just converted into some kind of central midfielder, he operated a lot on the right and left or behind the striker/s. It wasn’t like KK just moved him from out wide and stuck him into central midfield. He didn’t. Lee, like most operated freely across midfield and attack and he would often drop deep ahead of the defence and pick the ball up or be the main man in the box centrally. He wasn’t exactly a CM or an ACM.

Shearer and Ferdinand often operated down the flanks for example too, either alternating so one was in the box and one was wide or sometimes together out wide or central even, with Lee and a Beardsley in the middle or wide or Ginola and later Asprilla.

We were more fluid then water under KK. More than City today or Liverpool. The difference between our fluidity and theirs was we moved the ball forwards more, quicker and direct more if we could rather than pass pass pass, sideways, backwards, across the lines and around the box. We were more like them 92-94 with Cole. When we signed Sir Les and Ginola our style changed massively, our number of passes decreased, but our number of attacks in the final 3rd and inside the box increased. The number of passes between players decreased before an attack as our play quickened. For example when we had Cole it was 5 passes to goal/attack. After it was 4 or 3. From back to front constantly.

There hasn’t been a style of play like it since and how we played was unique in its day and for me, a brand of football more exciting and more engrossing than anything I’ve ever seen. Arsenal under Wenger during the early days probably perfected how we tried to play because they had better technicians in every position and had rapid players who could dribble and could combine both with great technique too.

Then they started becoming tactical.

Liverpool are similar today, but they too are tactical, probably way more than most would imagine. City too.