General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

More like a football/NUFC random thought, but could an argument be made that the team we had in the first half of 2013/14 (Remy, Cabaye, Ben Arfa etc) before the wankers actually sold Cabaye was better than the 2011/12 team that did finish 5th? While the former side did have some shockers (Man City (a), Hull (h), Everton (a), mackems (a), Swansea (a)) they also had some of the most complete performances we've seen in the PL in the last few years (Liverpool (h), Chelsea (h), Man Utd (a), Palace (a)). Only time I recall an incredibly lucky result was away at Spurs. On Boxing Day after we stuffed 9 man Stoke 5-1 and big Sparky Hughesy chucked his coat in the air, we had 33 points from 18 games, 6 points off top. We then lost some games post Christmas, sold Cabaye and everything completely fell apart.

100% yes. Always say the team that won at Villa early in the 13/14 season was probably our best starting XI in the last 15 years.

Unsure about Anita in midfield but aye. :thup:

Krul, Debuchy, Coloccini, Yanga-Mbiwa, Santon, Anita, Cabaye, Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Remy, Cisse

Wonder where that side would've finished had we not sold Cabaye or had a decent manager in. Even the 15/16 side that went down is a decent side. Fucking Pardew and McClaren, man.

Was just thinking of The Chronicle’s question on worst refereeing decision against us. Ritchie penalty v Burton is the obvious one but the Viduka disallowed goal v Fulham was literally the difference between us going down and Hull going down. Was trying to find a video but instead found Howard Webb’s view of the decision a few years later. Even more infuriating.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=X5kTDAAAQBAJ&pg=PR77&lpg=PR77&dq=nolan+foul+schwarzer&source=bl&ots=CY7LaQCLX6&sig=ACfU3U1MvO21-ie8XwxO9hKs7igQlS2cLg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwixxeeopufoAhW1unEKHTMbDI8Q6AEwAXoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=nolan%20foul%20schwarzer&f=false

There was an absolute stonewall penalty against (I think) Nolan not given in the HBA game at Goodison. Also remember a Chelsea player, possibly Luiz, chopping one of our forwards down when they were clean through on goal not that long ago.

Aye think that was the 11/12 season, might have been on Ba?

Aguero offside and Nolan ‘foul’ on Schwarzer probably the two most expensive. I know we were shit in the 08/09 season but if Webb calls that goal like he did after seeing the replay, we survive on goal difference. A win over City that late on the season puts a bit added pressure on Sunderland too.

Guest neesy111

Aye think that was the 11/12 season, might have been on Ba?

Aguero offside and Nolan ‘foul’ on Schwarzer probably the two most expensive. I know we were shit in the 08/09 season but if Webb calls that goal like he did after seeing the replay, we survive on goal difference. A win over City that late on the season puts a bit added pressure on Sunderland too.

Aye, Mike Dean for the Luiz on Ba.

Never forget the Louise Taylor comment about that Aguero goal:

The left-back delivered an incisive dead ball but [Newcastle could surely have done better than permit Agüero a free header. Barely believing his luck, the striker – who was a yard or two offside – duly registered his 100th Premier League goal for City and the 22nd of the season.

Youtube "Newcastle United 3-0 Manchester United (Saturday 12th February 2000)". Just had it recommended in my feed. Great day. Ferguson scared the shit out of Stam and Keane. All three goals were excellent in their own way. Atmosphere in the ground electric.

Youtube "Newcastle United 3-0 Manchester United (Saturday 12th February 2000)". Just had it recommended in my feed. Great day. Ferguson scared the shit out of Stam and Keane. All three goals were excellent in their own way. Atmosphere in the ground electric.

Cheers, good watch.

Completely random thought and no idea which thread it would go in but given that clubs like Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd and Liverpool have their own font for players' namesets on shirts for European football (and the FA Cup), if we were to qualify for Europe I'd love us to recreate the 1995-97 font. Would look lush. Utterly random but there you go. :lol:

I went to that one, I think?!  I'm not 100% as a lot of these games seem to blur into one and I went to loads from about 08-13'ish. 

I think it was the game where Tiote hit a crossfield diagonal to Ben Arfa, who trapped it dead in his typical nonchalant style, then played a no look pass up the line.  Second half of that season was class.

Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Cisse: what a combination that was! 

Love how much space HBA gets from that change of direction before the cross for the first goal. He is/was so incredibly good at timing those moves, completely leaving the defenders in no man's land.

Class from HBA.

Worrying how far forward he was though. Should've been in his own half tracking Stoke's attackers incase they hit us on the counter. But that's HBA for you, sheer laziness.