Dan Ashworth (now working for Manchester United)

Rich

18 minutes ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Admit it, you're sweating slightly you might have picked the wrong one

Nah. :lol: Ashworth's track record speaks for itself, and you wouldn't be going anywhere near Mitchell only we poached wee Dan. We have your first choice sporting director. I'm completely confident in the executive structure we have in place now. 

Would have been nice to have Mitchell on board for recruitment, as he's found some gems. Nothing even close to Caicedo for £4m, Mitoma for £2.6m etc. but he's still very good. 

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Nah. :lol: Ashworth's track record speaks for itself, and you wouldn't be going anywhere near Mitchell only we poached wee Dan. We have your first choice sporting director. I'm completely confident in the executive structure we have in place now. 

Would have been nice to have Mitchell on board for recruitment, as he's found some gems. Nothing even close to Caicedo for £4m, Mitoma for £2.6m etc. but he's still very good. 

Will be extremely interesting to see how it goes on both sides, think we both might do well out of it all

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

Ashworth doesn’t find any players though. He’s a facilitator with a stiffy for ex-England defenders.

Ashworth comes across as a liability. Brighton fans think his success there was massively over exaggerated and I can’t point to many good things he’s done at Newcastle. He messed up Joelinton’s contract talks, he had obvious friction with the manager and he over saw a couple of transfer windows that saw us over £50m in the hole for PSR and that doesn’t even include the Tonali fiasco 

Just now, gdm said:

Ashworth comes across as a liability. Brighton fans think his success there was massively over exaggerated and I can’t point to many good things he’s done at Newcastle. He messed up Joelinton’s contract talks, he had obvious friction with the manager and he over saw a couple of transfer windows that saw us over £50m in the hole for PSR and that doesn’t even include the Tonali fiasco 

I never really got the impression he was a good fit for us. Mitchell, only time will tell but I like what I read about him today a lot, especially the Athletic article

Brighton and Newcastle fans raved about Ashworth until he left, then said he was overrated and never gave him credit for anything. It's quite petty to be honest. :lol:

The Athletic has done some great articles about what he has achieved at both clubs. 

Brighton and Newcastle fans raved about Ashworth until he left, then said he was overrated and never gave him credit for anything. It's quite petty to be honest. :lol:

The Athletic has done some great articles about what he has achieved at both clubs. 

I’ve never raved about him when he was here. Brighton are doing more than fine without him and I’m sure we will too. 
what is the biggest thing he’s achieved at Newcastle according to the article? 

Edited by gdm

5 minutes ago, gdm said:

Why does he get the blame for manager friction? Maybe Eddie's too big for his boots? 

You were able to sell players to get out of that hole that Ashworth had a huge part in bringing to the club. 

And players signed under him are some of your most expensive assets. Isak, Botman, Gordon etc. 

But nah, Ashworth did nothing. :lol:

And aye, Brighton are doing fine because of the structure he put in place. That's exactly what we want. :lol: not a short term fix. 

Edited by Froggy

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We've gone from Ashworth is best in class to liability.

I love us.

It's embarrassing. 

Ashworth is a great hire for Man United. 

Mitchell is a great replacement for Ashworth. 

It's very simple.

6 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I never thought at any point he did nothing at all, more that since it became public he wanted to leave, I considered he didn't fit what we wanted to do. I mean he was at Newcastle 18 months, i'm sure he didn't just sit there. All that said, with all the jumping around, you can conclude he's maybe just a bit of a snake, while also being good at what he does, and will fit the structure at your club better.

9 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Why does he get the blame for manager friction? Maybe Eddie's too big for his boots? 

You were able to sell players to get out of that hole that Ashworth had a huge part in bringing to the club. 

And players signed under him are some of your most expensive assets. Isak, Botman, Gordon etc. 

But nah, Ashworth did nothing. :lol:

And aye, Brighton are doing fine because of the structure he put in place. That's exactly what we want. :lol: not a short term fix. 

It came to me he was important in the signing of Gordon so credit for that but I’m sorry he oversaw 4 transfer windows and left us in the shit PSR wise. 

Ashworth had a huge part in bringing Anderson to the club did he? Interesting 

if you are giving him credit for bringing those players to the club then he must take some blame for the overspending and being in such a big PSR hole that we need upwards of £70-80m 

Edited by gdm

Ashworth may have been first choice because perhaps we couldn't get a high profile guy like Mitchell at the time, plus compensation to Monaco would have been higher than to Brighton. 

I don't think there's a difference between their calibre to be honest, I think both are very good. I think we will be happier with Mitchell overall because of PSR - we need to be very smart because we don't have the club money that Man Utd do. 

The only difference for me now is that Ashworth has shown his true colours and he's a snake and if you don't think he will do the same to Man Utd in a few years time, I think you're very stupid. 

Once a cheater, always a cheater. 

Even though Froggy would never admit it, as it'll be a sign of how far Man U have fallen, but over the next season or two, Newcastle and Man U ARE actual rivals. More now than they've ever been - and not just a 'one-sided' rivalry as they like to claim. Neck and neck in the table for the past two seasons, the bad blood over Ashworth, competing for a similar type of player and even backroom staff. Man U are nowhere near Liverpool or Man City so Newcastle is your derby for the next season or two Froggy :) - enjoy 

I always thought Ashworth's main strength was in his structural capacities rather than player recruitment. Stuff like training facilities, contracts, women's football and such. No doubt he will be pretty good at all of that and good luck to him. I'll bet he gets the top brand lawnmowers in at Man U, they'll be second to none.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I always thought Ashworth's main strength was in his structural capacities rather than player recruitment. Stuff like training facilities, contracts, women's football and such.

If he’s improved that stuff here fair enough. 

1 minute ago, kingxlnc said:

Even though Froggy would never admit it, as it'll be a sign of how far Man U have fallen, but over the next season or two, Newcastle and Man U ARE actual rivals. More now than they've ever been - and not just a 'one-sided' rivalry as they like to claim. Neck and neck in the table for the past two seasons, the bad blood over Ashworth, competing for a similar type of player and even backroom staff. Man U are nowhere near Liverpool or Man City so Newcastle is your derby for the next season or two Froggy :) - enjoy 

Why wouldn't I admit that? :lol: I'm very realistic about where we are.

I've done nothing but give you credit about how good of a side you've been under Howe. 

Let’s not pretend Ashworth wasn’t an “elite” operator just because he left us. On paper, I prefer Mitchell’s body of work but it’s difficult as outsiders to really know who’s better.

Im just glad we’ve replaced him with someone who’s at least as highly regarded. 

Edited by McCormick

11 minutes ago, TRon said:

I always thought Ashworth's main strength was in his structural capacities rather than player recruitment. Stuff like training facilities, contracts, women's football and such. No doubt he will be pretty good at all of that and good luck to him. I'll bet he gets the top brand lawnmowers in at Man U, they'll be second to none.

He fucking loved wheels.

You're right though. Bought structure to the shell Mike Ashley left and has revamped the academy.

Apparently he's not keepn on the recruitment side, so easy to see why Man United would want him and Mitchell.

Edited by The Prophet

11 minutes ago, Lish007 said:

Ashworth may have been first choice because perhaps we couldn't get a high profile guy like Mitchell at the time, plus compensation to Monaco would have been higher than to Brighton. 

I don't think there's a difference between their calibre to be honest, I think both are very good. I think we will be happier with Mitchell overall because of PSR - we need to be very smart because we don't have the club money that Man Utd do. 

The only difference for me now is that Ashworth has shown his true colours and he's a snake and if you don't think he will do the same to Man Utd in a few years time, I think you're very stupid. 

Once a cheater, always a cheater. 

I think Ashworth has reached the top of the greasy pole he’s been climbing. He’s there with his pals, Dave the Doper and soon to have Gareth with him. He’ll be content to flex the Man Utd business card for as long as they’ll have him as he’s got to where he wanted.

american psycho art GIF by hoppip

4 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Let’s not pretend Ashworth wasn’t an “elite” operator just because he left us. On paper, I prefer Mitchell’s body of work but it’s difficult as outsiders to really know who’s better.

Im just glad we’ve replaced him with someone who’s at least as highly regarded. 

Agreed, he was probably good at stuff behind the scenes, but there was also talk that he wanted more say on the recruitment side, and Howe didn't seem to trust him fully on that. In the end he was probably right, Dan didn't see us as his ultimate job, he wanted to be part of Sir Jim Ratshit's gang at Man U.

That means everyone's really ended up where they should be. We want someone who will bleed Newcastle, Dan wasn't that man.

Problem is with folk like Ashworth is you don't necessarily see the fruits of his labour. He's established nine (I think) departments within the club, including youth and women's teams, he was also big on mental health and brought staff in for that area.

Definitely more an operational man than anything else. Fair to say he was probably here long enough to put down decent foundations and give the ownership a good idea of where it needs to be going.

I wonder if we're looking at a technical director to assist with that sort of stuff.

Edited by The Prophet