Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

1 hour ago, Bimpy474 said:

I do love comments like this, it's just a dumb as saying all northerners wear flat caps and have a pet whippet.

No, I was just saying it how it is, having lived there for years.

1 hour ago, Bimpy474 said:

I do love comments like this, it's just a dumb as saying all northerners wear flat caps and have a pet whippet.

I do 

8 minutes ago, manorpark said:

If you’re on about cockney rhyming slang or people using local colloquialisms. Then fair enough. If not, then what on earth are you on about?! 

Despite being born down south. Hard A’s do make more sense to me than soft A’s, so I get that part. But I’m not having that only people from London understand each other :lol: 

18 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

If you’re on about cockney rhyming slang or people using local colloquialisms. Then fair enough. If not, then what on earth are you on about?! 

Despite being born down south. Hard A’s do make more sense to me than soft A’s, so I get that part. But I’m not having that only people from London understand each other :lol: 

Pretty much the case.

Even worse in the cockney-esq wilds of Essex.

1 hour ago, manorpark said:

Well i would argue as a Southerner not everyone is like how you describe them, as someone who has lived here a lot longer.

Edited by Bimpy474

41 minutes ago, manorpark said:

Pretty much the case.

Absolute nonsense, though. The same way certain southerners go on about people in the north. And how they can’t speak English and they can’t understand them. That is also bollocks. 

7 hours ago, aussiemag said:

We are unable to judge just how good Ashworth is at the moment. From a scouting/recruitment point of view all of our best transfers; Bruno, Botman and Isak were sorted before he arrived. His two main transfer windows have been underwhelming. Livramento and Gordon being the only good signings. Jury is out on Hall, Tonali and Barnes. If he is setting the recruitment strategy, we have clearly missed out on some excellent signings at other clubs ie. Paulinha, Kudus, Paqueta, Diaby, Boubacar Kamara, Jao Pedro, Maddinson, van de Ven ….

The medical department is a shambles with our treatment of injured players and injury list in general. 

It isnt clear right now whether Ashworth is a success or not, we won’t know for 5 years or so. 

The head physio - who’s just left - was an Ashworth appointment.  Not exactly a confidence builder. 

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

I have to watch Only Fools and Horses with the subtitles on, me. 

6 hours ago, duo said:

I still don't think he'll go. We're the future.

Man Utd offer him a deal and he’ll be off.  Can hardly be too upset about it - there isn’t a future that exists where we’re bigger than Man Utd.  Given FFP restrictions, it’s going to be hard enough becoming bigger than Spurs. 

4 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Absolute nonsense, though. The same way certain southerners go on about people in the north. And how they can’t speak English and they can’t understand them. That is also bollocks. 

You just don't hear it said "this way round" very often though - do you!

A bit of their own endless spewed medicine thrown back at them.

They don't like it !!!!!

Difficult to judge what we can't see. Howe has acknowledged errors have been made in the medical department, but didn't say what they were or who by. 

As for Ashworth, he's very highly thought of in the game, but it'll take a while to reap the benefits of his work. He's basically had to build every department from the ground up.

The creeping criticism of everyone at the club because we're in poor form feels a bit misplaced. 

47 minutes ago, manorpark said:

Pretty much the case.

Not far off the truth. Ive a mate from Wimbledon way on, lived up here for about 35yrs (long time NUFC season ticket holder btw) and if we are in a busy pub I find it so difficult to understand him because it's a struggle to hear him clearly and concentrate on what he's saying. It's not use of slang or anything  like that but the pronunciations of the same words. I have to change my own speech if I go as far as York, we've family friends from Lincoln who often just glaze over and look for translations.

10 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

It's not.

As someone who moved down south I can say from experience that they do struggle to understand what we’re saying unless we consciously make it easy for them. I don’t think the reverse is true. 

Just now, BoSelecta said:

As someone who moved down south I can say from experience that they do struggle to understand what we’re saying unless we consciously make it easy for them. I don’t think the reverse is true. 

It does work on reverse as well.

After four years in Newcastle as a student my family and friends reckoned I had added clear Geordie inflections to my mild* Brummie accent. 

* private school wanker. 

3 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

It definitely is.  Plenty of us just aren’t rude enough to point this out every 5 bloody minutes.  

Just now, brummie said:

After four years in Newcastle as a student my family and friends reckoned I had added clear Geordie inflections to my mild* Brummie accent. 

* private school wanker. 

‘That was some canny faggots and peas, mutha’

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Ashworth getting the Silverstone sort of stick now? :lol:

Get shot of both, bring Charnley back, proved he could do both roles single-handedly.

I think it’s more the building up of an administrator into someone who is irreplaceable.

Just because what Ashley did was shite, doesn’t mean we need to fawn over what follows.  The ‘let’s do what Ashley did then’ stuff is daft.