Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

3 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Our way to the top is being blocked at every turn, not just by FFP but now more onerous FMV rules to block sponsorship deals. If we find loopholes you can bet your life the cartel clubs will shut those down by bringing in more rules. They don’t want a powerful NUFC.

Will just make it all the more satisfying when we get there.

Our constant pushing money into every area of the club will bare fruit. It's like they are using a tennis racket to stop a water cannon at this point.

41 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

I know local lad, but Shearer stayed, living his dream. It wasn’t always about money and ambition. I mean it may not just be about being able to hang on to Ashworth, it maybe in this case Ashworth has already got his head turned again for the next big thing. The club is in great hands and the foundations are clearly being strengthened. I’m biased but how could anyone not want to stay [emoji38] (also this could all be speculation, let’s see how it pans out) If he does go we’ll get in who we need, that will carry us onwards and upwards.

30 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Exactly, he was a local lad…………….had he been a London lad or a Leeds lad would he have stayed? I doubt it. As soon as Keegan walked he would’ve likely been off.

Was he ever really tested?  We finished second in his first season, with KK being replaced by the manager who managed Shearer to the league title.  Then he suffered what could have been a career-ending injury, and wasn’t the same player when he came back.  He was still quality, but he wasn’t likely to have Barcelona or AC Milan knocking any time afterwards.  The only club I can remember being linked to was Aston Villa when Gullit was alienating him.  He was linked to Liverpool when BR was there, but again he was playing jn a good side. 

1 hour ago, FloydianMag said:

Man City never had the same standing as their neighbours…..look at them now. Man U have global standing huge fan base and can’t compete financially or on the pitch. I know all the charges and claims of cheating will be called out on here re City which will go no where imo. It’s all about finance whether we like it or not and until the rules are changed we’re little different to how we were under Ashley…unable to compete for players and the best backroom staff.

Yes, they achieved their standings after winning more trophies than Man U over the last decade.  So far we’ve finished 4th once.  It’s not close to being similar tbf

14 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Our way to the top is being blocked at every turn, not just by FFP but now more onerous FMV rules to block sponsorship deals. If we find loopholes you can bet your life the cartel clubs will shut those down by bringing in more rules. They don’t want a powerful NUFC.

Money will talk, eventually. They can slow it but not stop it.

Bored of it already.

stay or go, either is fine, but stop the rumours either way asap is my take.

if he goes we’ll just get someone else, couldn’t give a shit tbh. Brighton haven’t died, neither will we.

Man United have the most expensive squad in the league and will always be able to throw money around on whoever and whatever they want in the transfer market, they will pay Ashworth a fortune as well, of course he is going to go to them given the chance. 

Just now, Menace said:

Absolute kick in the nuts if we lose him to a rival. He will know exactly who our targets are, what our budget is etc. Ah well.

There'd be a long gardening period but aye. 

Never liked the slimy fella anyway, seems as loyal as he looks. Also his brother went to work for Spartak Moscow six months after the monsterous invasion.. what kind of a KGB shill does that?

I think Man City’s head of football operations is jumping ship to join them as well, couple of big coups for them if they get Ashworth.

But as someone just said above we’ll move on if it happens, the project is still one of the biggest in football, the only concern being how long it took to appoint Ashworth and we really need someone in place for the summer.

7 minutes ago, captainhaircut said:

Phil Giles from Brentford the man for the job if Ashworth goes. Done a fantastic job there and a Toon fan so won’t fuck off to another club in no time. 

Toon fan as well :smiley6600:

Sorry if already answered, but could the compensation they'd need to pay for him count towards FFP, or is it strictly players and not excecs that count? 

And presumably we could do 12 months of gardening leave like we did with Brighton so our short term plans aren't leaned to man u? 

7 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I think Man City’s head of football operations is jumping ship to join them as well, couple of big coups for them if they get Ashworth.

But as someone just said above we’ll move on if it happens, the project is still one of the biggest in football, the only concern being how long it took to appoint Ashworth and we really need someone in place for the summer.

That Omar bloke? Or somebody else?