Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

13 minutes ago, Froggy said:

He can't lose coming to us, and it's a crucial point that a lot of people are missing.

Newcastle are minted now. It's only a matter of time before you're at the top. This is expected by everyone. It's seen as when and not if.

On the flip side, we've been so poor for so long that if someone comes in and changes that they'll be treated like a god. If they fail, fingers will be pointed elsewhere.

He’s going to be the most expensive ‘director of football ‘ in the world, everything he does will be magnified in both directions.

Fair play to us not bending over and letting a bunch of twats who own 25% of a club try and bully us. £20m should get us a top range replacement should they pay it.

Edited by Menace

36 minutes ago, Sufi said:

I think it’s way more complicated. 

I respectfully disagree. I see where you are coming from. I’ve worked in this field for 7 years now. It’s way deeper than any of us will ever know. 

All I can say is that these people are experts in risk/reward assessment. 

I had a contract with a large sports betting company. We don’t leave any leaf unturned and the budget is very very large. 

There was an NBA game we worked and I was in a zoom call with a doctor, a sports trainer and a psychologist (amongst other sports data folks) they were discussing how an injury/being overweight would effect a certain player. Literally pulling up his movements and speculating on how he walks. Which angle his tendons are attached to his bones. Things I can’t even comprehend. They even brought up his social media and speculation about his personal life.

This player is Zion Williamson. 

I say all that just to give you an idea of how deep these people get into things. Down to travel time, change of time zones, etc etc. 

Ive been in another call where there was a very serious discussion about elevation. The Utah jazz and the Denver nuggets having an advantage over other teams by being acclimated to high altitude. 

As someone who manages odds, I want to let you know (based on my tiny knowledge and experience).. you have no clue how deep sports data and analytics goes. 

These people are playing chess and everyone else is playing checkers 

Fair enough, that’s great insight - the Zion case is a great one, he’s a very different looking player, he seems ‘heavy’ for want of a better word and that explosive style of play with his build doesn’t seem a good marker for longevity.

I can’t imagine the lengths these folk will go to in order to get that edge. Is AI proving a further gamechanger for them?

18 minutes ago, Froggy said:

He can't lose coming to us, and it's a crucial point that a lot of people are missing.

Newcastle are minted now. It's only a matter of time before you're at the top. This is expected by everyone. It's seen as when and not if.

On the flip side, we've been so poor for so long that if someone comes in and changes that they'll be treated like a god. If they fail, fingers will be pointed elsewhere.

Yeah yous have been shit for so long it'll be an absolute miracle for Dan to turn that around.

I mean, even when we were getting relegated under mike Ashley and purposely shrinking our commercial revenues at a time when everyone else's exploded, I always looked at Man U and thought "phew, at least we aren't man u".

Us being minted almost seems a moot point tbh, PL is doing a fine job of throwing bodges in on a whim to somehow stop any kind of accelerated progression.

40 minutes ago, Sufi said:

I respectfully disagree. I see where you are coming from. I’ve worked in this field for 7 years now. It’s way deeper than any of us will ever know. 

I had a contract with a large sports betting company. We don’t leave any leaf unturned and the budget is very very large. 

There was an NBA game we worked and I was in a zoom call with a doctor, a sports trainer and a psychologist (amongst other sports data folks) they were discussing how an injury/being overweight would effect a certain player. Literally pulling up his movements and speculating on how he walks. Which angle his tendons are attached to his bones. Things I can’t even comprehend. They even brought up his social media and speculation about his personal life.

I say all that just to give you an idea of how deep these people get into things. Down to travel time, change of time zones, etc etc. 

Ive been in another call where there was a very serious discussion about elevation. The Utah jazz and the Denver nuggets having an advantage over other teams by being acclimated to high altitude. 

As someone who manages odds, I want to let you know (based on my tiny knowledge and experience).. you have no clue how deep sports data and analytics goes. 

Also - what’s the noise in the industry about NUFC doing this? Seem to be missing a trick if we’re still just relying on a keen eye and gut instinct.

5 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Someone needs to inform nufc about the Froggy tax on this deal. £5m every time he comes in here to stir.

No stirring. :lol: I just always find it funny when opposition fans try to tell us how we will react. I know how we will react. 

1 minute ago, NE27 said:

Us being minted almost seems a moot point tbh, PL is doing a fine job of throwing bodges in on a whim to somehow stop any kind of accelerated progression.

£400m in two years is fairly accelerated no? :lol:

35 minutes ago, Sufi said:

Absolutely bang on.

I know a few people who are involved in football data development, and Brighton was the first UK club to use AI-driven software which map every physical movement performed by every player in every half-decent league in the world to not only offer a picture of how good that player is now, but predict how they are going to perform in future (e.g. have they peaked? Will the way they move result in significant injury risks further down the line?).

Crucially for Brighton's business model, it's not only informed their decision on who and when to buy, but who and when to sell. For example, they were offering Tariq Lamptey around the Premier League a couple of years ago just as he was making his first big impact in the team - because their data told them his style of play would cause persistent injury problems and he had already hit his maximum cash value. Unlike with the likes of Cucurella and Caicedo, they didn't manage to offload Lamptey.

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

No stirring. :lol: I just always find it funny when opposition fans try to tell us how we will react. I know how we will react. 

Nah, it’s pennies to be very frank. But what can we do the league has protectionist rules in place to prevent competition. 

Just now, Froggy said:

In relation to the years prior, it was purely to bring us back to an even keel afaic.

And now we've had how many half cooked PL rules imposed in the last 2/3 years?

1 minute ago, magorific said:

Absolutely bang on.

I know a few people who are involved in football data development, and Brighton was the first UK club to use AI-driven software which map every physical movement performed by every player in every half-decent league in the world to not only offer a picture of how good that player is now, but predict how they are going to perform in future (e.g. have they peaked? Will the way they move result in significant injury risks further down the line?).

Crucially for Brighton's business model, it's not only informed their decision on who and when to buy, but who and when to sell. For example, they were offering Tariq Lamptey around the Premier League a couple of years ago just as he was making his first big impact in the team - because their data told them his style of play would cause persistent injury problems and he had already hit his maximum cash value. Unlike with the likes of Cucurella and Caicedo, they didn't manage to offload Lamptey.

Fucking hell that’s deep stuff.

Just now, r0cafella said:

Nah, it’s pennies to be very frank. But what can we do the league has protectionist rules in place to prevent competition. 

It's the same amount as us and we're maxed on FFP. So who's being protected from who exactly? :lol:

You could have done what Chelsea did. The reason you didn't is nothing to do with the PL rules. It's because you want to be a well run, sustainable club.

3 minutes ago, magorific said:

Absolutely bang on.

Love to know what the AI thinks about our injuries 

Just now, Froggy said:

It's the same amount as us and we're maxed on FFP. So who's being protected from who exactly? :lol:

You could have done what Chelsea did. The reason you didn't is nothing to do with the PL rules. It's because you want to be a well run, sustainable club.

Froggy, you know far better than to post such drivel. 

I’m in a good mood though so I give you a little bite. 

Your payroll is which is also very important for FFP is also ridiculous as your lashing triple our highest salary on Rashford, Casimero etc, you’ve spent huge sums consistently over the years, this isn’t me complaining I couldn’t careless I’m just stating facts. 

Tying spending to revenue benefits you lot more than any other club in the league as you have very large legacy revenues from being the most commercially successful team 10 years ago. 

And seriously, let’s not pretend you lot could compete if the Saudis actually could spend; nobody could. 

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

What can we do? We can take the legal route to a Competition Appeal Tribunal route to get rid of the anti competitive rules put in place by the cartel clubs. Ashworth going the way he is/has to Man U might be the spark that makes PIF take action.

55 minutes ago, Sufi said:

And yet, incredibly, a half-switched on football fan can identify good players and bad ones.  For all of the waffle and data crunching around it all, most teams tend to sign players that all of us have heard of.  

11 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

triple our highest salary on Rashford, Casimero etc,

I thought Bruno was on near £200k? Casemiro is our highest paid on £350k.

12 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

And seriously, let’s not pretend you lot could compete if the Saudis actually could spend; nobody could. 

Of course not, and thankfully there are rules in place to stop football being ruined entirely. 

5 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Of course not, and thankfully there are rules in place to stop football being ruined entirely. 

Rules shoehorned by the very clubs who are at the heart of ESL is it?

Glad we are all in safe hands[emoji38]

4 minutes ago, Froggy said:

If those rules were challenged and removed it wouldn’t ruin football it would simply replace a Liverpool-Man U duopoly with a City-Newcastle duopoly, I’m ok with that.

This is a no lose for all involved.

If Ashworth is as good as we're told, the systems and processes will be in place so we'll transition seamlessly, and we'll get a bag of cash.

If we isn't as good as we're told, we're well rid, and we'll get a bag of cash.

Man Utd can bring in someone to sort out their mess for about 20% of what they paid for the car crash that is Antony, it's nothing to them.

If it doesn't work (I think it will), they'll move on and they won't think of the fee they paid for Ashworth ever again.

Ashworth has the opportunity to turn around the biggest club un the country ( if not the world), what an opportunity.

If he does, he's made for life reputation wise, if he doesn't, it'll be the Glazers fault.

It's a business, it happens, on we go.

2 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

If those rules were challenged and removed it wouldn’t ruin football it would simply replace a Liverpool-Man U duopoly with a City-Newcastle duopoly, I’m ok with that.

:lol: Extremely short term thinking.