Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

14 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Let’s see if Almiron, Burn,  Longstaff and Wilson are here after the summer. Just saying we need to be ruthless if we want to get to where we want to be. Can’t stop our progression because they are nice guys, we’re not going to be regular top 4 with these guys, need more ruthlessness. Eddie may be that guy, let’s see what happens in the summer.

Of course Burn and Longstaff are going to be here. Are you expecting us to buy 14 new players in summer or something?

that’s not on Howe. It’s on FFP, homegrown quotas and sensibilities 

I'll be shocked if Burn and Longstaff aren't here next season.

We'll probably need Trippier and Burn to set the tone within that new "leadership group" with Lascalles, Ritchie and Wilson sll potentially off.

16 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I wouldn't have a single issue with Howe being the kingpin when it comes to first team recruitment.

I get that Sporting Directors are supposed to last longer than managers, and the theory - therefore - is that it would more logical for them to craft an identity and recruit based on that. That argument is of course flawed by the fact that our Sporting Director jumped ship after five fucking minutes. :lol:

Just give Howe the keys to the kingdom. He knows what he's doing and whatever identity we're crafting is being built on his image anyway. 

Football just doesn’t work like that these days, certainly not at clubs that know what they’re doing when it comes to recruitment. 

There are so many layers to recruitment; I genuinely think the level of detail would blow people away if they knew what went into it. We’re talking several hundred hours watching a single player and checking various data points. It’s pretty much impossible these days for a manager/head coach to be involved at the initial ID stage due to what goes into it and there are plenty of processes to go through before you’d even involve the coaching staff, mainly because they simply do not have the time with everything else they have to contend with. 

Not saying Howe shouldn’t have any input but he shouldn’t be leading anything. Other people are employed to do that and it essentially frees the manager/head coach to do what they’re best at on the grass. He can contribute to the player profiles in each position and come up with some non-negotiables but it needs to be in conjunction with the club/Sporting Director/Director of Football. Regardless of what has happened with Ashworth, the overarching responsibility of recruitment needs to remain with or be handed to the next person through the door, working in tandem with the coaching staff but ultimately having the final say. 

4 hours ago, Ronson333 said:

Let’s see if Almiron, Burn,  Longstaff and Wilson are here after the summer. Just saying we need to be ruthless if we want to get to where we want to be. Can’t stop our progression because they are nice guys, we’re not going to be regular top 4 with these guys, need more ruthlessness. Eddie may be that guy, let’s see what happens in the summer.

If FFP permits. I would keep all but 1 of these.

And the one I would let go is Longstaff. We might be able to get some decent cash for him.. all FFP gold. Anderson & Miley can take his spot.

Edited by The College Dropout

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Would imagine he would want the same here if we went for him 

If he’s going to Liverpool he wants to take Richard Hughes from Bournemouth with him.

Edited by lovejoy

Comes here after a word with buddy Eddie.

Promptly sacks Eddie at seasons end. 

I would be amazing if we get him. Wonder what would could pay him in comparison to Liverpool and whether we are limited there as well.

On 26/02/2024 at 18:51, Big Jow said:

We do seem to be really good at having our valuations and sticking to them from a selling point. Can’t think of a single player who has left who I would’ve expected more for and if we start getting £20m for backroom staff we are taking the piss.

St Maximin?

Just now, The Prophet said:

Potentially undervalued, but not dramatically so.

I was genuinely shocked he went for so little. Proven PL door openers with end product are not easy to come by, and all of his best years should be ahead of him. And we sold him to a country that was chucking money about for fun. Feels like we had our pants pulled down

15 hours ago, lovejoy said:

If he’s going to Liverpool he wants to take Richard Hughes from Bournemouth with him.

He wants to surround himself with pals from Bournemouth? What an idiot with his jobs for the boys!

6 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I was genuinely shocked he went for so little. Proven PL door openers with end product are not easy to come by, and all of his best years should be ahead of him. And we sold him to a country that was chucking money about for fun. Feels like we had our pants pulled down

I reckon we sold him for about 5 million less than was his value tbh. 

10 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Think it would have been somewhat easy to negotiate his price down due to the injuries and the pretty ordinary ga numbers over his time here.

I do think the club went lower on Maxi purely to avoid a load of connected party scrutiny tbh. Even at the amount we got there were articles about murmurs of discontent from other PL clubs (which is of course an absolute joke if so).

As with Supertoon, I think we lost out on at most £5-10m and like Kaka says, constantly injured with not the most amazing stats on paper could've swayed it. Would've been nice to have a bit extra to play with of course but nothing egregious imo.

1 hour ago, Holmesy said:

But no one offered more. And I’m quite certain no one will pay Saudi more to bring him back to Europe. 

I love Maxi, but it’s pretty obvious that football clubs don’t value him the way some on here do.

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

The i emphasising again, Edwards has not desire to return to front line football.

And if he did, he'd walk straight back to Liverpool. I don't know why some of our supporters are making eyes at him. He's not the one for us, let's look at realistic candidates who will be a good fit for Newcastle.

6 hours ago, Holmesy said:

His end product isn’t good enough. His career high with us was 5 goals and 5 assists across a whole season, including cups. Final season he scored 1 goal.

Incredibly exciting player to watch and he was also handicapped by us often not having finishers in the side but even still.

For all the excitement, his return is only a smidge better than Miggy’s.

He was a player we absolutely adored because he got us off our seat, the only player to do that since Ben Arfa but there isn’t any top PL clubs who would pay decent money for him due to the above.

I’m sure some data nerd will come along to tell me his xG, xA or xZ was actually 30 goals and assists but the team let him down, but I don’t think anyone valued him like we did.

I agree maybe £5m more would be reasonable though.

The club is playing nice and safe with all the rules introduced to stop us. Nothing we've done has been challenged. I guess the club has seen that as a success. I think we should be pushing the boundaries hard. Let's go to arbitration, let's go to court, let's debate. Let's show we have deep pockets and stamina to get what we want. Playing nice has no upside until niceties are returned.