Dan Ashworth: released from contractual obligations after agreement reached between Newcastle and Man Utd (Official)

Rich

I'm also increasingly in favour of pushing to get rid of FFP as it exists now.

It's a heap of shite that only exists to protect a few established clubs at the top.

Would very much be in favour of having something in place to limit how much clubs with unlimited money like ourselves or Man City can spend on transfers in a given period, I do think that makes sense. However, whatever the maximum outlay is for the richest clubs, the rest of the clubs should be allowed to spend too so long as they can do it without putting their club's long term security at risk.

It has that 'if you start out a relationship by cheating with a cheater and then they cheat, you can't be surprised' feel about it. 

I get that he has ambition and all that, but he's barely stayed anywhere longer than a year since leaving England like. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

"It's the same situation as Eddie [Howe], I think. I'm really happy, it's a brilliant city, club and project. I'm thoroughly engaged in throwing myself into all of those things and really enjoying the challenge."

Eddie is off too.

Worrying.

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

"It's the same situation as Eddie [Howe], I think. I'm really happy, it's a brilliant city, club and project. I'm thoroughly engaged in throwing myself into all of those things and really enjoying the challenge."

Eddie is off too.

When was that quote from? 

34 minutes ago, sempuki said:

If this is true I hope there's some form of agreement about not poaching EH/our players.

Don't see that as much of a problem as the staff he has recruited all jumping ship.

43 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I get that he has ambition and all that, but he's barely stayed anywhere longer than a year since leaving England like. 

Eh? He has only worked at Brighton (3 years) before us for nearly 2.  Before that I think the only job he has that wasn't multiple years was as an academy director for Peterborough in 2000, when he was snatched up by Cambridge.

1 minute ago, toontownman said:

Don't see that as much of a problem as the staff he has recruited all jumping ship.

Eh? He has only worked at Brighton (3 years) before us for nearly 2.  Before that I think the only job he has that wasn't multiple years was as an academy director for Peterborough in 2000, when he was snatched up by Cambridge.

Yeah I mean including us if he went to Man United. It would be 3 years at Brighton, 1 and a bit years here.

2 hours ago, Dokko said:

If the papers are correct and he's to be appointed early next year, then manure have met the buyout fee of his contract, so nothing we can do. 

It's been good having him, but not the end of the world he leaves. Manure aren't going to do anything in the next 10 years, but understand he's got links to the new investors and they'll be paying him daft money to look after their ott investment.

At the end of the day if he doesn’t want to be here and has been offered more money (and it’ll be a fuck load) to go to restructure Man U then fair enough, that’s how things go. Shame but there we are. 

3 minutes ago, Jagten said:

Phil Giles at Brentford would be most obvious interesting candidate. PhD in statistics, Brentford as well run as it gets, Newcastle fan. Honestly might prefer him. 

Will a PhD in stats help as a DoF?  I can see how it would be useful in data analysis.  

I can’t get overly riled about this if it happens.  It’s Man Utd, it’s only the DoF, and I haven’t been left impressed by his only summer transfer window.  The players selected by Howe & the scouts last year look like better fits than Ashworth’s.

I do think that football is capable of over inflating just how lovely and great competent administrators are.  When Ashworth described his role in an interview - that he’s a facilitator and a delegator - it didn’t exactly make me think that those skills are irreplaceable. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I can’t get overly riled about this if it happens.  It’s Man Utd, it’s only the DoF, and I haven’t been left impressed by his only summer transfer window.  The players selected by Howe & the scouts last year look like better fits than Ashworth’s.

I do think that football is capable of over inflating just how lovely and great competent administrators are.  When Ashworth described his role in an interview - that he’s a facilitator and a delegator - it didn’t exactly make me think that those skills are irreplaceable. 

If he goes well bring in better! 

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Will a PhD in stats help as a DoF?  I can see how it would be useful in data analysis.  

Augmenting football operations with data is essential, and we’re at the very early stages of building out our skills here. Someone with that level of technical skill is hugely valuable, especially given experience of application to decision making in football.

1 minute ago, Jagten said:

Augmenting football operations with data is essential, and we’re at the very early stages of building out our skills here. Someone with that level of technical skill is hugely valuable, especially given experience of application to decision making in football.

What’s Ashworth’s PhD in?