Nick Pope

Rich

10 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

He punched a wet ball in a crowded area to almost 30 yards out. I'd blame Bruno, Gordon, and Longstaff more for that goal in the next phase of play. All three were poor in their individual and collective attempt to tackle. Then again, they're probably and understandably shattered and running on empty. Pope has been fantastic recently and he did little wrong today in my opinion.

I guess alot of us are wondering why even do that when you simply grab it and reset?

I have zero interest in searching for a scapegoat to blame for us not winning today. However, I genuinely have no idea where people are coming from to be so defensive regards Pope, yes he's been a good keeper in his time here, yes he seems like an all-round good egg, but if we're aiming to become a legitimate force and actually compete to win things he's not part of that future, I don't even see how that's debatable? A question to those who think Pope is great and feel questioning his position is wrong, who are you suggesting we upgrade prior to addressing him? Possibly Miggy and Burn, nobody else surely? 

His distribution from his feet is poor, every time he has the ball at his feet and he's being pressured he looks so uncomfortable, this today with punching for no reason when he can catch is a common occurrence, it happened Wednesday and again tonight, and tonight we got punished for it. I have zero interest in attacking Nick Pope, I appreciate all he's done for the club to get us to this stage, but if we have the money we believe we have and we continue to strive to be better he will have to be replaced, that doesn't make us bad fans or lacking loyalty to have this mindset, it's just logical! 

Edited by mondonewc

4 hours ago, Mountain said:

He's our best ever goalkeeper in my opinion.

We’ve never been particularly well served in that department, as far as I’m concerned - but he’s the equal of Given, for me, as a keeper.  Given’s distribution with his feet was also shaky, as was his handling of crossed.  Great shot-stopped. 

Already said in the match thread that I reckon the punch was fair considering the wet conditions and was coming into a crowd.

However, having watched it back the ball ends up near Bruno, Gordon and the Wolves player. Gordon seemingly sets off leaving/hoping Bruno wins it back and we'd have been 3 on 3 on the break. I reckon it was something we work on and unfortunately didn't come off but no way should they have been scoring from it and that was nothing to do with Pope.

I am a Pope fan mind you [emoji38]

Edited by Hhtoon

Yes, it would be great to have an upgrade on Pope, but there aren't many better keepers around and they wouldn't come cheap. Given our current resources and FFP, I'd say we have other priorities (eg striker, RW)

Pope is very shaky with the ball at his feet, but for a tall guy he gets down very well and makes a big obstacle to get past. Keepers have to be decisive, so whether or not in retrospect he could have safely caught the ball, I'm happy that he at least made his mind up and executed his decision well. The problem which then arose was that we don't really have any great tacklers in midfield.

6 hours ago, mondonewc said:

I have zero interest in searching for a scapegoat to blame for us not winning today. However, I genuinely have no idea where people are coming from to be so defensive regards Pope, yes he's been a good keeper in his time here, yes he seems like an all-round good egg, but if we're aiming to become a legitimate force and actually compete to win things he's not part of that future, I don't even see how that's debatable? A question to those who think Pope is great and feel questioning his position is wrong, who are you suggesting we upgrade prior to addressing him? Possibly Miggy and Burn, nobody else surely? 

His distribution from his feet is poor, every time he has the ball at his feet and he's being pressured he looks so uncomfortable, this today with punching for no reason when he can catch is a common occurrence, it happened Wednesday and again tonight, and tonight we got punished for it. I have zero interest in attacking Nick Pope, I appreciate all he's done for the club to get us to this stage, but if we have the money we believe we have and we continue to strive to be better he will have to be replaced, that doesn't make us bad fans or lacking loyalty to have this mindset, it's just logical! 

Not really looking so much at the current starting XI. But I think there are areas we should be spending money on before a new keeper, 100%. 

A midfielder who can play the deeper role in Howe’s system. As we currently only have one that can and I believe he is on record about wanting to play further forward. We certainly get caught out of late between the midfield and defence and all. Brighton, Dortmund, last night on the counter. 

A striker. Seeing as Isak has not stayed fit consistently since joining. Wilson has always had injury problems, supposedly can’t play two a week and will be 32 next season. 

An upgrade on/competition for Almiron. 

A centre back to rotate with Botman and Schar. 

In time, as we evolve. Of course Pope will get replaced. But I still think it is easier said than done when you look at keepers that have come in or moved around the league. As you will be upgrading some of his deficiencies, like his passing and kicking. But not necessarily the actual keeping the ball out of the net part.  

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

Yes, it would be great to have an upgrade on Pope, but there aren't many better keepers around and they wouldn't come cheap. Given our current resources and FFP, I'd say we have other priorities (eg striker, RW)

Pope is very shaky with the ball at his feet, but for a tall guy he gets down very well and makes a big obstacle to get past. Keepers have to be decisive, so whether or not in retrospect he could have safely caught the ball, I'm happy that he at least made his mind up and executed his decision well. The problem which then arose was that we don't really have any great tacklers in midfield.

The Pope we're seeing lately isn't a massive upgrade on 21/22 Dubravka so not sure an upgrade on Pope is that unrealistic to be able to get. 

6 hours ago, McDog said:

I guess alot of us are wondering why even do that when you simply grab it and reset?

Look at our first goal - as shay given said, very easy to fumble it in those conditions. If he tried to catch it and fumbled would we all be sitting here saying “why didn’t he just punch it?”

It feels like quite a lazy analysis but there really are pre and post-Salah versions of Nick Pope at Newcastle. Pre was absolutely exceptional, easily the best keeper I've ever seen at the club. Post is brilliant but nervy and only arguably the best I've ever seen at the club. But he's still class and a huge asset to this team, it's just a pity his decision-making when coming off his line leaves a lot to be desired. 

There isn't a perfect keeper who doesn't make mistakes in the whole league and, based on what I've seen, he's still right up there with the best for me. 

3 hours ago, Stottie said:

Sa is a fine keeper but gifted us a goal by dropping a catch. I wouldn't be too harsh on Pope for that punch, which happened later in the same game.

Given also commented on how easy it is to fumble in those conditions as well.

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It feels like quite a lazy analysis but there really are pre and post-Salah versions of Nick Pope at Newcastle. Pre was absolutely exceptional, easily the best keeper I've ever seen at the club. Post is brilliant but nervy and only arguably the best I've ever seen at the club. But he's still class and a huge asset to this team, it's just a pity his decision-making when coming off his line leaves a lot to be desired. 

There isn't a perfect keeper who doesn't make mistakes in the whole league and, based on what I've seen, he's still right up there with the best for me. 

Especially for £10m

17 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We've got a more than capable number 2 keeper though to take him out of the firing line for a few games while he sorts some of his basics out. If Dubravka does the same we're not really worse off as Pope is doing it anyway. I don't think Pope since his red-card is massively better than Dubravka the 6 months before he joined. 

Pope has been nowhere near bad enough to warrant dropping for Dubs, that’s a tad of an over reaction.. you risk destroying our best goalkeeper mentally to put in the second choice that is a level below.

On the Sky Sports hi-lights reel they don’t even show the punch. Pope does punch more than I’d like but, it wasn’t the reason for the goal. Do you go back to the free kick the punch came from?

Gordon in particular should have done better from the punch. He does a little shove which is neither nowt nor something. That said, the players around are far too passive. They don’t see the danger.

Then I’d argue once again Sky missed a major flash point. It seems perfectly fine to criticize any player who misses a pass or tackle but a goalkeeper is generally blameless unless they spill a ball into the net or get a hand and it trickles in or something. He was uncontested for a free catch and he punched it. 

Popes been a brilliant signing at 10 mill yes he has his faults but all keepers do. And just take the double save the other night thats what he can do.

I think a lot on here think we can buy ourselves the title in one transfer window sorry but we cant.

And Howe is slowly putting a very very good team together.

Its not long ago I was reading the posts on here Anthony Gordon being a waste of money.

Look at him now. We are still a long way off being a top 4 team. Even though we achieved that last season.

We cant guarantee that every season just yet.

Lets just keep the faith and watch the team grow under Howe year on year.

We have hope again after the dark days. HWTL

6 hours ago, Nine said:

Pope has been nowhere near bad enough to warrant dropping for Dubs, that’s a tad of an over reaction.. you risk destroying our best goalkeeper mentally to put in the second choice that is a level below.

On the other hand he might need a bit of a kick up the arse/taken out the firing line a bit. Dubravka is more than fine for a few games. 

Big fan of Pope who is a huge reason why we finished 4th last season. We don't do as well over 38 games with Dubravka in net. 

But I do think we may need an upgrade when the summer comes round. He's absolutely atrocious with the ball at his feet; shit myself whenever the ball is passed back to him and have nowhere near as much confidence in him when comes out his area anymore.

That's much, much easier said than done though; keepers like Allison are one in a million where he's outstanding in all goalkeeping aspects and with the ball at his feet. Ederson is the best with the ball at his feet in the league but I don't rate him anywhere near as highly as I do Allison in terms of an all round GK. Unsure where that keeper for us may be.

He’s becoming a scapegoat on here. 

The punch wasn’t great. But he did punch it fairly far and not into a dangerous area. 

The actual defending was awful.  But it’s Pope that’s getting the stick. 

6 hours ago, Kanji said:

Then I’d argue once again Sky missed a major flash point. It seems perfectly fine to criticize any player who misses a pass or tackle but a goalkeeper is generally blameless unless they spill a ball into the net or get a hand and it trickles in or something. He was uncontested for a free catch and he punched it. 

But that’s not a mistake. It wasn’t great keeping but he punched it out the danger zone. 

7 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Unsure where that keeper for us may be.

And that’s kinda the crux of it. 

To get someone with the actual keeping ability of Pope but who also has good/very good distribution, you’re either trying to unearth someone that isn’t really established at major club/league, which I always think is a massive risk with a keeper, or you’re looking at a £40-£50m outlay.

Maybe there’s other alternatives like getting lucky with someone’s contract/clause, or bringing in someone older who’s probably short-term like a Navas, or that ilk, but barring that, I expect Pope to be here for the foreseeable, and that’s fine with me FWIW.

3 minutes ago, SteV said:

And that’s kinda the crux of it. 

To get someone with the actual keeping ability of Pope but who also has good/very good distribution, you’re either trying to unearth someone that isn’t really established at major club/league, which I always think is a massive risk with a keeper, or you’re looking at a £40-£50m outlay.

Maybe there’s other alternatives like getting lucky with someone’s contract/clause, or bringing in someone older who’s probably short-term like a Navas, or that ilk, but barring that, I expect Pope to be here for the foreseeable, and that’s fine with me FWIW.

Fully agree. You look at the keepers mentioned, Allison was £67m and Ederson £35m. Both becoming the most expensive keepers of all time at the time of their signings. But I struggle to think of an elite side, which we're striving to become, with a keeper with as poor ability on the ball as Pope. Its a medium term issue though, far more pressing matters in the squad.