Memberships (2023/24)

ceolnamara

4 minutes ago, Pata said:

Entirely possible but limiting the number of your fans that are even allowed to try and buy a ticket while talking about massively growing the club's revenue streams seems a bit contradicting. I assume that the size of the fanbase is one criteria on the 'fair value' calculations on sponsorship deals after all.

Just using myself as an example but I didn't know they were capping the memberships last season. I don't think that should be a reason to deny me a chance to get a ticket in the following seasons.

Not arguing that point as I agree that’s exactly why the club haven’t stopped selling them. Was more in response to you thinking it makes no sense at all. Touting increases as no comeback if caught because you could just buy another membership under slightly different details and you can tout again. Opposition fans buying them nearer their games to take a chance of getting in the game by hook or by crook and giving members a higher percentage of success are the three reasons why I don’t think they should’ve capped the amount but they should’ve said we are stopping selling them the Friday night before Villa at home so buy now for 23/24.

Imagine if we get Sunderland (or Boro) in the cup never mind someone like Leeds etc.

Like you say the club will want to pick up fans as the season progresses but apart from a little extra money I fear the negatives out way the positives.

22 minutes ago, Pata said:

I'm not sure what the best solution is and it certainly doesn't help that so many (me included) approach the subject so selfishly. 

When it comes to ticketing, we almost all do that.

Maybe some more so than others, but it’s very difficult to be in favour of something that stops you, or lessens the chances of you, seeing your team.

The problem comes when we forget other people have different situations to our own that result in an opposite viewpoint, and we just clash head on.

18 minutes ago, SteV said:

When it comes to ticketing, we almost all do that.

Maybe some more so than others, but it’s very difficult to be in favour of something that stops you, or lessens the chances of you, seeing your team.

The problem comes when we forget other people have different situations to our own that result in an opposite viewpoint, and we just clash head on.

I’ve probably said it before but at least these days you can watch every match in full if you want to and there is always at least a chance of getting a ticket each game so there is at least some comfort.

Going back to the clubs first rebirth under KK it was a lock out for years and you had to make do with 5-10mins of MOTD highlights for the majority of matches.

5 hours ago, LFEE said:

I’ve probably said it before but at least these days you can watch every match in full if you want to and there is always at least a chance of getting a ticket each game so there is at least some comfort.

Going back to the clubs first rebirth under KK it was a lock out for years and you had to make do with 5-10mins of MOTD highlights for the majority of matches.

Ahh yes, the joys of listening to the radio, watching teletext and then final score. Nipping to the paper shop for a football pink and then hoping you were first on MOTD for a longer highlights, then the local news on a Monday to see the goals again. And that was that. End of season VHS. 😂

Even Sky in its infancy only had one game on a Sunday and MNF. 

and that’s only my childhood/KK era. I had to rely on my uncles mates not going so I could get to a game. 

we sometimes forget how good we have it these days with fire sticks/streams and ticket ‘availability’ I suppose. 

18 hours ago, LV said:

Would be interesting to know if International members do have a different process and whether that means it’s easier or harder to get tickets than standard members.

Let us know what happens @Unbelievable

I am now an international member but bought the local membership in a chance to get a ticket to the Villa game as it is the only one I'll be in the country for this season. I was unsuccessful. 

I wasn't sure what international membership entailed or the major differences between that and local as I didn't think it was communicated clearly. I think the plan however is to give official supporters clubs access to tickets before the ballot in group bookings if there is demand for a certain fixture. I don't think this has been confirmed but our supporters group here have stated that could potentially be happening and are waiting for the club's confirmation. 

If you are an international member and not in an official supporters group I am not sure what benefits or use it is to you than a local membership.

12 hours ago, Pata said:

Capping the membership makes no sense at all so fuck that.

Tbf so is having a membership that is almost worthless as you can’t get to games using. Whole point of getting memberships over the years is it almost guaranteed a ticket. Now you’ve no chance unless your luck is in 

32 minutes ago, duffylad said:

I am now an international member but bought the local membership in a chance to get a ticket to the Villa game as it is the only one I'll be in the country for this season. I was unsuccessful. 

I wasn't sure what international membership entailed or the major differences between that and local as I didn't think it was communicated clearly. I think the plan however is to give official supporters clubs access to tickets before the ballot in group bookings if there is demand for a certain fixture. I don't think this has been confirmed but our supporters group here have stated that could potentially be happening and are waiting for the club's confirmation. 

If you are an international member and not in an official supporters group I am not sure what benefits or use it is to you than a local membership.

Thanks for that. I did wonder if they were going to somehow guarantee international fans that they would get seats. 

Edited by LV

Current membership is paying for the privilege to enter a glorified general sale.

I imagine there’ll be more and more unhappy people as they realise they’ve paid £37 for nothing come the end of the season. 

It’s not even as open as a general sale

It’s £37 for the opportunity to enter 19 lotteries for attendance and random seats

Alongside the opportunity to scrap over the handful of tickets in resale like starving hyenas on a wildebeest carcass

I’d like to know if any another club is running a system like ours for both home and away tickets 

And is that club also refusing to communicate with supporters about why 

I think we’re probably breaking new ground for all the wrong reasons 

1 hour ago, LV said:

Thanks for that. I did wonder if they were going to somehow guarantee international fans that they would get seats. 

Still waiting for a response by the club and still none the wiser after reading the above. Maybe the box office themselves don’t know how to treat international members’ ticket requests.

Edited by Unbelievable
Typo

53 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Still waiting for a response by the club and still none the wiser after reading the above. Maybe the box office themselves don’t know how to treat international members’ ticket requests.

This place will explode if international members get any form of priority :lol:

18 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I imagine it would aye. On the other hand, if you want to grow revenue you might want to cater for international fans, who would probably be willing to spend more on a per match basis than locals (thinking club shop sales, etc.) Under the current system it’s practically impossible for fans from abroad to plan a trip to come and take in a game. Imagine the scenes if Newcastle play abroad (not hard at this moment in time) and as fans you would only know a week in advance if you were succesful in getting a ticket. Would you book travel and accommodation in advance?

When I lived in Newcastle there was a waiting list for season tickets. Looks like demand once again far outstrips supply. A SJP expansion can’t come soon enough.

27 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I’m of the firm belief that tickets should only be available to people who were born in an NE postcode, currently live in an NE postcode and can pass a Prove Yasel Geordie test 

5 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

I imagine it would aye. On the other hand, if you want to grow revenue you might want to cater for international fans, who would probably be willing to spend more on a per match basis than locals (thinking club shop sales, etc.) Under the current system it’s practically impossible for fans from abroad to plan a trip to come and take in a game. Imagine the scenes if Newcastle play abroad (not hard at this moment in time) and as fans you would only know a week in advance if you were succesful in getting a ticket. Would you book travel and accommodation in advance?

When I lived in Newcastle there was a waiting list for season tickets. Looks like demand once again far outstrips supply. A SJP expansion can’t come soon enough.

Yeah I get this, but this is why they've expanded membership as well because it's created a bigger pool of customers who can get tickets compared to last season which means more ways to sell etc.

Reminder that we are all customers to them at the end of the day, it's all about money.

Full sympathy with overseas fans who have come over for years to take in a game. However, as for attracting new fans this shouldn’t be at the detriment of current match goers, and we should only be catering for new fans when stadium expansion allows for it.

Lose the hardcore support and where in dangerous waters.

20 minutes ago, LFEE said:

In what sense?

Let’s start by finding out what happened to the mythical Second Ballot for Liverpool 

Then get them to explain why we can’t choose seats anymore

And I’d be interested to get the clubs insight into whether there’s more people complaining about the new system a couple of weeks after launch, than complained about the old system during last season

And why are we only getting a week between ticket ballot draw and match date, how are people supposed to plan travel etc 

And why can’t we have a stadium plan

And why can we only select one ticket category

And how are they preventing tickets from ending up in the hands of touts and away fans who enter the ballot 

Am sure there’s more, but that’ll do for starters 

14 hours ago, LFEE said:

Not arguing that point as I agree that’s exactly why the club haven’t stopped selling them. Was more in response to you thinking it makes no sense at all. Touting increases as no comeback if caught because you could just buy another membership under slightly different details and you can tout again. Opposition fans buying them nearer their games to take a chance of getting in the game by hook or by crook and giving members a higher percentage of success are the three reasons why I don’t think they should’ve capped the amount but they should’ve said we are stopping selling them the Friday night before Villa at home so buy now for 23/24.

Imagine if we get Sunderland (or Boro) in the cup never mind someone like Leeds etc.

Like you say the club will want to pick up fans as the season progresses but apart from a little extra money I fear the negatives out way the positives.

Surely for high risk games you'd need a previous purchase history before being eligible to buy a ticket you'd think but god knows how they'd work it.

52 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Surely for high risk games you'd need a previous purchase history before being eligible to buy a ticket you'd think but god knows how they'd work it.

They can’t do that though as the way demand is it could be your very first game you’ve been successfully picked.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

In what sense?

Seriously?

1. What is happening with the cup ticket "packages" that are to be offered to members

2. Is this the format for the remainder of the season, I'd ballot a week before a game?

3 Why is no seating plan that reflects the categories?

4. What, if anything, is done to prevent away fans buying a membership to attempt to sit in with home fans

Would be my main question, for starters.

🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, LFEE said:

They can’t do that though as the way demand is it could be your very first game you’ve been successfully picked.

Your membership is purchase history. Suspend selling new ones for two weeks before a potentially problematic game. Problem sorted. 

1 hour ago, bobbydazzla said:

Let’s start by finding out what happened to the mythical Second Ballot for Liverpool 

Then get them to explain why we can’t choose seats anymore

And I’d be interested to get the clubs insight into whether there’s more people complaining about the new system a couple of weeks after launch, than complained about the old system during last season

And why are we only getting a week between ticket ballot draw and match date, how are people supposed to plan travel etc 

And why can’t we have a stadium plan

And why can we only select one ticket category

And how are they preventing tickets from ending up in the hands of touts and away fans who enter the ballot 

Am sure there’s more, but that’ll do for starters 

20 minutes ago, patrone said:

Seriously?

1. What is happening with the cup ticket "packages" that are to be offered to members

2. Is this the format for the remainder of the season, I'd ballot a week before a game?

3 Why is no seating plan that reflects the categories?

4. What, if anything, is done to prevent away fans buying a membership to attempt to sit in with home fans

Would be my main question, for starters.

🤷‍♂️

This is really what the trust should be seeking answers to instead of just putting out a statement protecting themselves. Maybe they are TBF. 

3 hours ago, SteV said:

Your membership is purchase history. Suspend selling new ones for two weeks before a potentially problematic game. Problem sorted. 

You had to come up with a solution without suspending memberships as what you are saying is basically what I’m saying that they should’ve been stopped before the season starts.

With the policy of the club selling memberships throughout the full season how do you stop away fans buying them is the question that a solution is required. I don’t see one.