Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

8 hours ago, nbthree3 said:

And promptly 

When Trippier went down injured the other night I immediately thought of this guy, I don't know who he is but this seams like a sensible transfer.

Guest reefatoon
57 minutes ago, Zero said:

Unless there is a very lucrative deal on the table, I prefer not buying any players that would replace our starting eleven. We should instead get more covers, more young prospects that can step up when needed

You upgrade your first team and then they become the cover/subs. This is how you improve.

4 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

You upgrade your first team and then they become the cover/subs. This is how you improve.

Absolutely, this idea of “improving the bench” is nonsense.  It leads to what’s always happened here, signing sub par players on long and expensive contracts who become difficult to shift.  Every first team signing needs to be a player who can immediately challenge and improve the first 11.  Players then from the first 11 may drop to the bench which gives depth.  Showed the other night when Isak and St Maximan both came on

Edited by Andy84

It's really not one or the other anymore. If we need a 1st teamer and a January deal is acceptable, then they'll do it. Likewise, they'll be looking to buy young prospects for positions we don't have a current urgent need for that might take a bench role.

FFP does limit and if we use Botman as an example, at the moment we don't need someone to compete with him but we need an improvement over current bench options. Do we spend c. 40m on that person or 20m on a prospect who's not quite there but has that potential. 

I doubt there's any club (Man City aside) that has a bench if 1st-team "ready" players.

31 minutes ago, Hhtoon said:

It's really not one or the other anymore. If we need a 1st teamer and a January deal is acceptable, then they'll do it. Likewise, they'll be looking to buy young prospects for positions we don't have a current urgent need for that might take a bench role.

FFP does limit and if we use Botman as an example, at the moment we don't need someone to compete with him but we need an improvement over current bench options. Do we spend c. 40m on that person or 20m on a prospect who's not quite there but has that potential. 

I doubt there's any club (Man City aside) that has a bench if 1st-team "ready" players.

Agreed. We have our list of players we want and if one of them is attainable for the right price then we’ll probably sign one of them later in the window. 

1 hour ago, reefatoon said:

In a perfect world yes that's how it would work. However there will be players currently playing in the first 11 who don't want to just be sat on the bench as rotation/cover. You have to strike the right balance.

Guest reefatoon
21 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

In a perfect world yes that's how it would work. However there will be players currently playing in the first 11 who don't want to just be sat on the bench as rotation/cover. You have to strike the right balance.

I totally agree with bringing in young players that could be brought into the squad and used from the bench. I don’t think we should be going out to sign players not good enough for our first team though. We are nowhere near good enough squad wise to bring in players just to sit on our bench. It’s probably only Man City and Chelsea that do that. If we are to sign players, you can bet it will be to improve the first 11 and not some mediocre player to just sit on the bench.

Need to Strengthen (end of) …even if it’s just 1 player.

if you stand still (you fall behind) in the premier league.

Everyone else below us in the table will  be improving and by the looks of it some decent signings  (which will help them close the gap)….everyone above us in the table will look to strengthen and widen the gap.

Doesn’t have to major changes , just enough to keep improving. 

All about bringing in the right player and not necessarily quantity. 

In HOWE we trust. 

Edited by JonBez comesock

3 hours ago, Hhtoon said:

Literally every top 6 side aspires for that or close. It's first team players or youngsters aiming to become regulars.

Part of becoming a top 6 side, is dealing with good players who will not be happy to sit on the bench.

Every top 6 club has 8-10 players who signed expecting to be a 1st team regular - that has to sit on the bench.

Wan-Bissaka. Matt Doherty. Tomiyasu. Tierney.

We have Wood & Murphy getting loads of minutes per month. Trippier and the midfielders barely get a break. We could sign 3 first team players and not disrupt the squad much at all.

1 minute ago, arnonel said:

Our bench should be understudies with high ceiling.

Not first teamers

It should be a mix of understudies, first teamers being rotated and youngsters.

It's not yet but it will be.

I think we should sign 2 more players in this window. We will probably be in Europe next season and we will likely need to play 10+ more games than this season. With our current squad I think we overachieved this season and if we are not careful enough, we may be dragged into a relegation battle next season like 16/17 Leicester, 05/06 Everton, 05/06 Real Betis and 03/04 Celta Vigo. We will need at least 5-6 more players for European competitions and if we only sign them in summer it also takes time for so many players to gel in the team. If we can sign 2 players this month then hopefully it can smooth out the process a bit while also giving us a lift for the push into top 4.

Why on earth should we have an understudy for Sean Longstaff?

High ceiling youngsters

First teamers

The way we have competition at CF, we need that in midfield. 1 or 2 injuries or suspensions and the team starts to pick itself.

i reckon Joel is dropped for the weekend.

Longstaff Bruno Willock

Almiron Wilson ASM

Isak is the only useful option off the bench here. We'll almost certainly see Murphy run out too. Any other substitutions will be enforced, luxury or desperate.

Guest reefatoon
9 minutes ago, Zero said:

Do it the coming summer, not now.

So just waste some cash this month on players not good enough to start?

2 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

So just waste some cash this month on players not good enough to start?

As long as they could support our current starting eleven without disrupting the chemistry, and give us back a top 4 finish, then it’s not wasting money. Just like why we paid 25m for Wood last winter.

In other words, unless it’s really too good to turn down, I don’t want another Asprilla at this moment. Summer? Definitely