Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

20 minutes ago, Manxst said:

https://m.tuttomercatoweb.com/serie-a/lazio-newcastle-in-pressing-per-milinkovic-savic-ma-il-club-frena-non-e-in-vendita-1778007

“Newcastle are ready to move decisively for Sergej Milinkovic-Savic. 60 million to be paid into Lazio coffers, 12 bonus signature for the player plus a salary that could reach 10 million a year. At Formello everyone denies, there is talk of offers never arrived on Tare's desk, but market rumours intrigue and distract. Lotito made it clear that "it is not on the market," but with an agreement expiring in 2024 and the non-renewal, anything is possible. The Pressing of the Premier is therefore returning to close relevance from the parts of the Capital and in the coming days the issue could become hot. To bring it back is Il Messaggero.”

i'm ready to believe

Sounds too good to be true so its almost certainly not.

Would be an outstanding signing especially at that price, obviously its alot of money but he's 27 so in his prime years and he's proven his quality at the highest level for a long long time. Good injury record also.

“Sergej Milinkovic-Savic has reportedly broken off contract renewal talks with Lazio as Newcastle United’s interest grows stronger.

The 27-year-old Serbian star’s current deal expires with the club in June 2024 and his renewal has been a key talking point this season in the Italian capital.

Lazio do not want to lose Milinkovic-Savic and have been desperately trying to tie him down to a new contract, but the player is seemingly interested in finally taking the next step in his career.

As reported by Il Messaggero (via LazioNews24), Milinkovic-Savic’s agent Mateja Kezman has suspended contract renewal talks with Lazio, suggesting that his client is ready to leave the club this year.“

https://thelaziali.com/2023/01/12/newcastle-serious-about-milinkovic-savic/

39 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Italian media sources are usually always bs agent links.

Aye, his agents makes an attempt every window, bless him. Last thing he wants is another Kevin Strootman type scenario where the player stays in Rome a couple of seasons too long and misses the big move. 

Chris Waugh in the Athletic Q&A:

"As of the conversations I had as recently as yesterday with well-placed insiders, there hasn't been a firm decision taken yet.

There is a realisation that they are "ahead of schedule", which is something that was reiterated at a board meeting earlier this month, and they are conscious of not spending beyond their means. Eddie Howe, however, is keen for them to strengthen and would like one or two first-team-ready editions.

That's a long way of me basically saying, I can't give you a conclusive answer because they don't know themselves. That may seem like me fudging this one, but that's the truth of the situation to the best of my knowledge."

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

"As of the conversations I had as recently as yesterday with well-placed insiders, there hasn't been a firm decision taken yet.

There is a realisation that they are "ahead of schedule", which is something that was reiterated at a board meeting earlier this month, and they are conscious of not spending beyond their means. Eddie Howe, however, is keen for them to strengthen and would like one or two first-team-ready editions.

That's a long way of me basically saying, I can't give you a conclusive answer because they don't know themselves. That may seem like me fudging this one, but that's the truth of the situation to the best of my knowledge."

worrying

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Yeah knows fook all! But a story nevertheless!

Can’t see the Savic rumours being true. He’s 28 this year and it would be a hefty fee, with little to no resale value in a few years time. 

I’m not saying all of our signings will have resale value (wood, burn) but I don’t think we are at the stage to be spending big money and writing it off.

3 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

worrying

I'm not sure I'd call that worrying. I think it's a very tough decision from where we sit right now. I think most likely the decision is going to largely be made for us by who is available and at what price.

3 minutes ago, NWMag said:

Can’t see the Savic rumours being true. He’s 28 this year and it would be a hefty fee, with little to no resale value in a few years time. 

I’m not saying all of our signings will have resale value (wood, burn) but I don’t think we are at the stage to be spending big money and writing it off.

We're no longer run by Mike Ashley, though.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it will actually happen, but a player like Milinkovic-Savic you don't buy with an eye on the re-sale value. Especially in our position. He is world class and in a totally different universe to the likes of Longstaff and (in a CM sense) even Joelinton. To be honest, I'm shocked Liverpool aren't looking at him. He is exactly what they need right now. 

It is a little tricky, I'd agree. Obviously we need to continually improve the talent at our disposal, not only with the awful reserves but also in the starting XI. Big teams and big clubs constantly push for improvement from within and without. We're a big club and we will start behaving like one, if we haven't already. We need more and better players, without question.

That said, we are indeed ahead of schedule because of our squad unity and cohesiveness. Eddie Howe has put together a team that's mentally strong and is filled with desire and determination. That process has taken time, it's organic. Introducing a new player or two into the mix could upset all of that in the short-term, putting us in a position where we have more talent but the results suffer because the communication and cohesion have dipped.

I'd argue that a player like Milinkovic-Savic would make more sense in our position right now. We need someone who's mature and mentally ready to come in and fight. We can sort out transfers for younger players as well, but if we're looking to improve our chances to make a Top 4 place our own THIS year, we need an older, calmer player to slot straight in. We've heard that Howe is pushing for players with PL experience and I think that's why. Tielemans/Maddison make sense for this reason, too. 

In the summer, all bets are off, but for now, I think it is an interesting dilemma. I'm glad we're facing it, mind.

5 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Tifo's great and maybe I'm being a pedant, but they often get little things wrong with us. 

Willock and Longstaff the wrong way around, Shelvey being a back up 6 despite being injured, having Isak ahead of Wilson. Again maybe I'm being too picky, but I guess you notice this stuff when it's about the team you know inside out. 

They were a bit off in regard to Madrid too.

They should leave team specific squad stuff to the team experts. 

Sitting here on 1/12 looking at the window - I'll say it's a real missed opportunity to not strengthen where Howe wants in the positions he wants. 

The club continue to remind us about FFP issues, I won't argue against those because I haven't the time or energy or access to the data to work the math out, but I am certain we do eventually need to shift some of the deadweight off the books to free up wages, squad places, and increase income through player trading and commercial deals. 

Really don't know whats going on with the commerical side - we saw a flurry of activity before the Saudi winter break and that was really encouraging but not heard too much about new commerical deals for the future otherwise. If the CEO and Commerical guy can't get those deals done quick enough or advance them to know that X is incoming over X years, let's go and spend that'll be a real disappointment. 

Many many days left in the window, and I know the club plead poverty then signed Isak so as usual, judge them when it SLAMs shut. 

Edited by Kanji