Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

Guest reefatoon
10 minutes ago, Nine said:

Im not disagreeing that signing a player wouldn’t give us a little extra boost, but the question is do we NEED to take a risk and dent our FFP now instead of the summer? It’s not as simple as more good players = better result. 

And the comparison to last Jan is a pointless argument, the circumstances being entirely opposite. We had no choice a year ago.

Of course we need to, standing still at any opportunity to improve the team is a risk. Howe has us in an unbelievable position, we are doing much better than first thought and that stands is in a really strong position of attracting a better quality player than previously thought. To find ourselves where we are, they will all be pushing to improve the team if they can and help the momentum. I’m sure he is asking for a certain type player, but it will be to enhance the team not the bench.

If the right player is available that we really want and there’s a deal to be done why wait until the summer? Someone please explain this to me? Why stand “still” IF we can improve our chances now already when it comes to reaching top 4. Even if we don’t make the CL then we have signed a player that improves us. It’s one less signing to make in the summer. By saying this I wish to clarify that I don’t think we should sign a player for the sake of it, or thinking short term. I’d like to think that we are attractive enough now for most players, or players that are more than good enough for now and the long term. I mean we might even be more attractive now compared to say that we don’t strengthen and risk not making the top 4 and try for players in the summer instead. Personally I can see the club rebalancing its budget. At least I hope so if there’s the right deal to be done.

i don’t understand the “we don’t need” to.

Edited by Ikon

38 minutes ago, TRC said:

I'm not sure how reliable these Brazilian prices are, aside from Endrick who is a generational talent. Andre Santos was linked to us for 35m and he went to Chelsea for 12m?

FYI in Brazil, Vitor Roque is considered at the same level if not even better than Endrick because he already proven himself in decisive high level matches (he was decisive in reaching the Libertadores final last year) many people wanted him to have a space in this year WC squad just for him to get this kind of experience, like Ronaldo had in 1994

2 minutes ago, JNK said:

FYI in Brazil, Vitor Roque is considered at the same level if not even better than Endrick because he already proven himself in decisive high level matches (he was decisive in reaching the Libertadores final last year) many people wanted him to have a space in this year WC squad just for him to get this kind of experience, like Ronaldo had in 1994

Ah ok, I had never heard of him! Fair enough then, so many Brazilian wonderkids I never know how many are actually wonderkids

2 minutes ago, TRC said:

Ah ok, I had never heard of him! Fair enough then, so many Brazilian wonderkids I never know how many are actually wonderkids

Don't get me wrong, Endrick is a beast! Doing what he does against much older opponents is amazing.

We'll see how well Endrick plays in the professionals this year, since he's just 1 year younger than Roque.

Btw, both are in Brazil-U20 for the south-american u20's this month, none of them is 18 yet, that's saying something about how good both are. 

They probably gonna be starters too. 

Roque is also already the main striker for his team(started the Libertadores final), got the position troughout last year. 

Edited by JNK

1 hour ago, reefatoon said:

Of course we need to, standing still at any opportunity to improve the team is a risk. Howe has us in an unbelievable position, we are doing much better than first thought and that stands is in a really strong position of attracting a better quality player than previously thought. To find ourselves where we are, they will all be pushing to improve the team if they can and help the momentum. I’m sure he is asking for a certain type player, but it will be to enhance the team not the bench.

Not signing a player doesn’t necessarily mean the squad is standing still, playing this same starting 11 at this point in the season under the amazing circumstances we find ourselves in is not a negative and obviously we need more depth in quality to alleviate the stress on fitness but I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary now we are out of the FA cup. Jan is just difficult I think, if this were the summer I’m sure we’d both be talking about which player we should sign and where they’d play.. bedding in players mid season isn’t easy. You’re talking about enhancing momentum, there’s no guarantee a player we sign hits the ground running and dropping ‘weak links’ like Longstaff or Burn for whoever may come in might actually be a step back until new players gel. Of course if the right opportunity for the right player arises then we’ll pull the trigger. 

All I’m saying is if there are no big starting 11 signings I’d completely understand the approach from management, I think we’ll see a prospect or two come in for sure though. 

Edited by Nine

13 minutes ago, Nine said:

Not signing a player doesn’t necessarily mean the squad is standing still, playing this same starting 11 at this point in the season under the amazing circumstances we find ourselves in is not a negative and obviously we need more depth in quality to alleviate the stress on fitness but I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary now we are out of the FA cup. Jan is just difficult I think, if this were the summer I’m sure we’d both be talking about which player we should sign and where they’d play.. bedding in players mid season isn’t easy. You’re talking about enhancing momentum, there’s no guarantee a player we sign hits the ground running and dropping ‘weak links’ like Longstaff or Burn for whoever may come in might actually be a step back until new players gel. Of course if the right opportunity for the right player arises then we’ll pull the trigger. 

All I’m saying is if there are no big starting 11 signings I’d completely understand the approach from management, I think we’ll see a prospect or two come in for sure though. 

and a Maddison type if available for the right price 😉

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Asprilla didn’t work in 95-96 because he seemed to be bought with no plan as to how it fit into the team.  Beardsley and Ferdinand weren’t going to be dropped and KK resolutely stuck to 4-4-2 meaning Asprilla or Beardsley would find themselves on the wing.

If the point is though that the signing of Asprilla derailed the title push, that’s always been a ludicrous press narrative. The failing in the second half of the season were multiple - Ferdinand stopped scoring; Ginola stopped playing after the Arsenal LC QF; Gillespie’s extended injury lay-off unbalancing the side; KK’s ongoing inability to actually get a decent GK; an ageing Beardsley’s moments of magic becoming more sporadic; Rob Lee’s standard second half of a season. Etc etc etc

Agree except for the Beardsley and Lee comments. Beardsley was the reason it went to the final game of the season practically carrying the forward line. Lee alongside Batty was fine. Gillespie was the big loss (Phil Neville doing him at Man Utd if I recall). The service from the wings dried up for Ferndinand. Ginola’s form definitely dropped after the Dixon incident the odd game aside.

1 hour ago, Ikon said:

If the right player is available that we really want and there’s a deal to be done why wait until the summer? Someone please explain this to me? Why stand “still” IF we can improve our chances now already when it comes to reaching top 4. Even if we don’t make the CL then we have signed a player that improves us. It’s one less signing to make in the summer. By saying this I wish to clarify that I don’t think we should sign a player for the sake of it, or thinking short term. I’d like to think that we are attractive enough now for most players, or players that are more than good enough for now and the long term. I mean we might even be more attractive now compared to say that we don’t strengthen and risk not making the top 4 and try for players in the summer instead. Personally I can see the club rebalancing its budget. At least I hope so if there’s the right deal to be done.

i don’t understand the “we don’t need” to.

If the right deal is available to be done i.e. a player we like at a value that matches ours, we will absolutely do it this window.

However, in January I imagine either the ones we really want won't be as readily available, and even if they are we'd likely have to pay over the odds.

Looks like there'll be a lot of movement this January though, and so maybe some of the players we like will be made available at a realistic price.

1 hour ago, Nine said:

We are third top of the league using "weak links" Longstaff and Burn.  I understand your point though.

10 minutes ago, Rod said:

We are third top of the league using "weak links" Longstaff and Burn.  I understand your point though.

To be fair that was part of the point I was making. Neither of those players are out and out weak links, I think Longstaff is very under rated by our fans.

Edited by Nine

1 minute ago, Wilson said:

Drink drivings bad, tories are worse, Eddie will deal with it in the correct manner and Kaka's not a Brazilian fascist. 

So.... Joelinton eh? what a player he's turned out to be. 

Wrong thread! :laugh:

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

So much potential for a Dan Burn style song for Fresneda if we signed him to QFX Freedom, just swapping Freedom with Ivan and dragging out Fresneda a bit to fill out dance forever/together. 

I’m all in on the need for more use of Bigg Market Pig & Whistle classics in our song book. Someone needs to sit down with a notebook listening to 100% Clubland and get drafting.