Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Guest Howaythetoon

For me I know Messi and Ronaldo the Brazilian were better than Zidane but for me he is is the best footballer I’ve seen play the game in my life-time just as a footballer. Forget stats, forget attributes, just as him out there on a pitch doing his thing. That performance against Brazil man a few years back, no player past or current could do that in such a game, no-one. As such he is one of the greatest of all time. Messi is the better footballer than CRonaldo, but it boils down to aesthetics for me in the way Zidane despite clearly not being better than Messi, will always be better than him in MY eyes. Ronaldo as such is right up there, level even. What he has achieved is remarkable. Pound for pound it will go Messi and then a very very close second CRonaldo as the best player of all-time in the modern era. Overall? Pele for me will never be surpassed and Zidane after him, followed by Colin’s John!

honestly prefer watching Ronaldo over Messi for no particular reason just prefer it. Don't get why it has to be such a big deal who is better or why people get so bothered about it (well I get why Barcelona and Real Madrid fans would) they are two of the greatest players of all time and we've been lucky enough to see them in their prime more than any previous generation could have seen the great players of their day just enjoy that.

Guest Howaythetoon

Does anyone reckon either would be as good as they are or have been without the other? I think it spurs on Ronaldo more as he’s that type of character, he’s very driven and has an almost defensive aspect to his character in that he’s trying to prove people wrong and him right. Messi is more laid back and gives less of a fuck IMO.

Guest firetotheworks

For me it's probably just that it seems like an alien opinion to me. I can't understand it really, to me there shouldn't even be a comparison between the two anymore in terms of who's the better footballer.

Guest Howaythetoon

honestly prefer watching Ronaldo over Messi for no particular reason just prefer it. Don't get why it has to be such a big deal who is better or why people get so bothered about it (well I get why Barcelona and Real Madrid fans would) they are two of the greatest players of all time and we've been lucky enough to see them in their prime more than any previous generation could have seen the great players of their day just enjoy that.

I prefer watching Messi from a purist POV, but if I could choose between both in their prime, I’d have Ronaldo in my team ahead of Messi because he can be quiet and not do anything and then win a game. I also think he’s more adaptable and can score scruffy goals and can perform in any kind of team, set-up or level. That’s what separated Shearer from the pretenders. Put him in any team, anywhere and at any level and he would still bang them in as usual. Ronaldo is a machine. Messi is an artist.

Guest Howaythetoon

For me it's probably just that it seems like an alien opinion to me. I can't understand it really, to me there shouldn't even be a comparison between the two anymore in terms of who's the better footballer.

You need to remove footballer from the equation really, because as a footballer, well there is no comparison. Messi is undoubtedly the better footballer in the strictest or purest sense. He has great skill, great flair, great ability and trickery and is just so much fun to watch and behold. Ronaldo isn’t, he’s more like a robot, a perfect one at that. I’ve had this debate before and been ridiculed, but I’m of the opinion that Shearer was the better CF out of him and Ronaldo, but Ronaldo was the better footballer... by miles. You can make a distinction between the two.

Back to being a footballer, Zidane for me was a better footballer than Messi, but Messi is a better finisher, more consistent and a better all-rounder. He’s basically the better of the two no doubt about it. As a footballer only though in the purest sense, Zidane for me was better to watch, could do more with the ball during a game and influence a game more.

Cronaldo wins Ballon d'Or. Deserved this year tbf but :anguish: that he's level with Messi now

Same. I've spent years understanding people preferring Ronaldo, but over the years the more I've watched and the more I've thought about it, I'm of opinion that the idea of viewing him on the same level as Messi is ridiculous now in all honesty.

If anything Ronaldo’s acheivements are even more remarkable given he isn’t as highly talented as Messi and hasn’t played in as a great side as peak Barca, that and he has won a major international trophy and did it in the PL. Messi is the better player and will go down as such, but his achievements are less remarkable. When Ronnie rocked up at Man Utd no one could have predicted what he has went on to do, he is a freak of nature and a great player, one of the very very best of all time. Happy for him tbh.

I think some of that is reaching, or just not how I view it anyway. Specifically the achievements, to an extent the winning an international trophy bit (It doesn't mean what it used to and Ronaldo went off injured in the final after a few minutes) and certainly the PL bit (Messi has ripped our best teams apart in the CL, it would be no different in the PL)

Barca has also fallen a lot, he's massively carried Argentina, and Messi's exactly as good as he's always been imo, getting into one man team level with Argentina. Tbh, after England, I'd love Argentina to win the WC, for him to collect the full set, and finally close the 'cant do it for Argentina' argument, which is basically the last argument against him in the GOAT debate.

Ronaldo would be in my all time XI for who I've seen in my lifetime, like, but he doesn't even really do it for me anymore tbh.

I'm absolutely certain I'd cry with happiness if Messi captained Argentina to win the world cup next summer [emoji38]

Same here, I'm a Messi fan in this next world cup. Will be fucking shit if he doesn't win it.

Guest firetotheworks

Messi's the personification of popping up from nowhere and winning matches, man. That's a nuts opinion. [emoji38] I've seen 'quiet' Messi matches where he's scored hat-tricks and an infinite amount where he's scored one or two. Have you not seen the amount of posts in the other games thread about him basically going 'fuck this' towards the end of matches and winning them single handedly?

Guest firetotheworks

You need to remove footballer from the equation really, because as a footballer, well there is no comparison. Messi is undoubtedly the better footballer in the strictest or purest sense. He has great skill, great flair, great ability and trickery and is just so much fun to watch and behold. Ronaldo isn’t, he’s more like a robot, a perfect one at that. I’ve had this debate before and been ridiculed, but I’m of the opinion that Shearer was the better CF out of him and Ronaldo, but Ronaldo was the better footballer... by miles. You can make a distinction between the two.

Back to being a footballer, Zidane for me was a better footballer than Messi, but Messi is a better finisher, more consistent and a better all-rounder. He’s basically the better of the two no doubt about it. As a footballer only though in the purest sense, Zidane for me was better to watch, could do more with the ball during a game and influence a game more.

[emoji38] Sorry like, I was with you until the bit about Zidane being a better footballer. [emoji38]

Zidane had his own way though and was incredibly elegant, so I can completely understand a preference, just not the idea of him being better, that's just daft. [emoji38]

Guest Howaythetoon

As a comparison...

Rooney a better footballer than Ronaldo, Ronaldo clearly the better player.

Sheringam a better footballer than Shearer, Shearer clearly the better player.

You say you get it, but, we’ll... you don't so we are done!

As a comparison...

tumblr_nyq3fefHe61tq4of6o1_400.gif

Guest firetotheworks

As a comparison...

I know what you mean, I just disagree man. [emoji38] Disagree on the Rooney/Ronaldo one as well. It's just a fancy way of saying technique Vs reading of the game/end product.

As a comparison...

Explain

Messi's fairly machine-like himself imo. Like a video game character level of greatness. It doesn't even make sense the balance, the acceleration, like he has the ball on a yo-yo (if that makes sense). It's awe-inspiring stuff... in the sense it's unbelievable. He executes greatness.

However, I find the Zidane's, Ronaldinho more entertaining in some ways. They displayed more flair and spontaneous skill, swagger. A bunch of stepovers and tricks. Outrageous flicked passes.  Messi has a "simpler" and more efficient way of beating the opposition. Like the goal he scored against Real in the CL, no fancy tricks just gets the ball skips past what felt like 4 or 5 of them and slotted it home. No problem.

There’s something I really admire about Ronaldo. Everyone lines up to hum Messi’s nuts while Ronaldo’s damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t, which I don’t really get. He’s at worst the second best footballer ever.

Despite Messi being the more talented footballer, I think Ronaldo will have a longer and more fruitful career and that’s a real testament to him. He’s a better athlete than Messi.

Guest firetotheworks

Just on the Messi thing again. I was just watching him on YouTube there and he has a top 10 list just for wrongly disallowed goals specifically. [emoji38] He's just absolutely fucking nuts, I could happily talk all day about the records that contextualise just how astonishing his feats are. The same applies to Ronaldo record-wise. A couple of favourites are Messi scoring more hat-tricks in a year, or it might be in a season, than Shearer did in his career, and scoring more goals than Spurs, who had scored and won enough at the time to be in the Champions League places. [emoji38] Just absolutely crazy.