Open Wide For Some Soccer!

Mike

Having to pinch players from Iceland.  Pathetic :lol:

A nation of 300 millions need to pinch a player from a nation of 300.000.  Are USA really that bad?

What stinks about this is that Aron has had his whole football development in Iceland, has Icelandic parents, with the only connection to the USA being born there.  He thinks of himself as an Icelander, but picked USA for WC reasons.

A nation of 300 millions need to pinch a player from a nation of 300.000.  Are USA really that bad?

What stinks about this is that Aron has had his whole football development in Iceland, has Icelandic parents, with the only connection to the USA being born there.  He thinks of himself as an Icelander, but picked USA for WC reasons.

:lol: It was his choice, U.S. didn't kidnap him. Plenty of players with less claim to "being American" have pulled on the jersey in recent years, we'll accept any player that wants to play for us.

A good player is a good player, regardless of where he's from. I'd snap your hand off for Sigurdsson too. :lol:

Well he was born in Alabama, unlike some people who switch countries. It sucks for Iceland because they've been making a ton of progress and still could actually qualify for this World Cup, so I can see why people are mad. I'm afraid the US will never use him while he could be a difference maker for Iceland if he stayed. The International rules really need to be reviewed. 

:lol: It was his choice, U.S. didn't kidnap him. Plenty of players with less claim to "being American" have pulled on the jersey in recent years, we'll accept any player that wants to play for us.

A good player is a good player, regardless of where he's from. I'd snap your hand off for Sigurdsson too. :lol:

It's not like Klinsmann didn't beg!  Just goes to show that football (soccer) development has a long way to go in USA if Iceland is producing players for them :)

Don't really blame his decision though, or USA's, Iceland has pinched players from eastern Europe in other sports.  Still kind of sucks to loose a good player.  Having played through the youth ranks for Iceland, the rules really shouldn't allow players to transfer between national teams.

Rossi, Subotic, Hangeland. Believe me, we know the hurt of players on the fence choosing other countries. :lol:

Though it wasn't much of a choice for Rossi or Hangeland... Subotic most closely mirrors the Johannsson situation, as he was a U.S. youth player before declaring for Serbia.

:lol: Barking up the wrong tree here, sturla.  Let's break it down:

Are USA really that bad?

He thinks of himself as an Icelander, but picked USA for WC reasons.

If you think the USA are "that bad" then where does that put Iceland if he'll choose us over you?

Just goes to show that football (soccer) development has a long way to go in USA if Iceland is producing players for them :)

And on the other side of the same coin, it shows that Iceland has a long way to go to compete with nations like the USA if one of their starlets feels it's better for his career to declare for the US.

Pretty much what Cuba said tbh. Mix basically told the press upon his "official" joining of the US before the Gold Cup that the Norwegian national set-up was comperative to how facist and communist states used to do sports. :lol:

:okay:

That's kind of funny, but I'm not sure why NBC is acting like this country has never seen the sport. MLS must be thrilled watching one of its rights-holders do this.

TBF they're not marketing to American soccer fans...they're marketing to traditional NFL fans.

If any more US 'fans' join here in the next month, they're in for a world series of pain.

Are USA really that bad?

If you think the USA are "that bad" then where does that put Iceland if he'll choose us over you?

Just goes to show that football (soccer) development has a long way to go in USA if Iceland is producing players for them :)

And on the other side of the same coin, it shows that Iceland has a long way to go to compete with nations like the USA if one of their starlets feels it's better for his career to declare for the US.

We are a nation of 300.000, if we ever make it to a WC or the Euros it will be like for regular size nations winning the world cup!  It's understandable that we are bad.  Whats your excuse??? :)  I understand very well why he picked USA over us, its because of WC and higher profile resulting in higher income.

Are USA really that bad?

We are a nation of 300.000, if we ever make it to a WC or the Euros it will be like for regular size nations winning the world cup!  It's understandable that we are bad.  Whats your excuse??? :)  I understand very well why he picked USA over us, its because of WC and higher profile resulting in higher income.

We're too big, and haven't cared about the sport long enough. A youth system has only really been in place since the 90's, and there's still no way to organize a youth training system nationwide. Players are missed all the time, and technique isn't worked on enough at youth levels. We have gotten better at it recently though, and utilizing players with duel nationality and heavily scouting hispanic communities are two examples.

Literally the best time to be Icelandic footballer too. Was he capped as an under 21?

Yeah, so he had to make a one-time switch and is permanently a US player without being cap tied.

Scored on a pen and assisted for AZ today :thup:

They are only one point outside potential WC qualification and would be even higher except they fucked up in the last game due to some terrible defending. They've made a ton progress internationally with a good wave of young players coming through. Jóhannsson was supposed to be the next in line. I think it's a bad decision on his part.

In other news, (and perhaps old news) some real details on the NBC package are out. To my complete f***ing amazement there won't be an extra fee for the various over-flow channels (I was positive it'd be like MLB/NFL/NBA etc where you pay a huge additional cost to get the "every game" service) and online streaming s*** etc. Hoooooooleeeeee f*** I am gonna be able to watch every NUFC game on my actual goddamn television this season. HOT DAMN. My bullshit cable provider is even one of the few that bought in to the system. It alllmost makes me hate them just a little bit less. Almost.

good Q&A about the details of the new setup.

In other news, (and perhaps old news) some real details on the NBC package are out. To my complete f***ing amazement there won't be an extra fee for the various over-flow channels (I was positive it'd be like MLB/NFL/NBA etc where you pay a huge additional cost to get the "every game" service) and online streaming s*** etc. Hoooooooleeeeee f*** I am gonna be able to watch every NUFC game on my actual goddamn television this season. HOT DAMN. My bullshit cable provider is even one of the few that bought in to the system. It alllmost makes me hate them just a little bit less. Almost.

good Q&A about the details of the new setup.

They said they were all free from the get-go, as long as you had NBC Sports.

It's all shaping up nicely. Unless you're on FIOS, where it's slightly less nice.