Open Wide For Some Soccer!

Mike

I don't understand why English people are so angry about people talking about the game in their own dialects, tbh. :lol:

The clubs incorporate their cities flag into their badges. In Genoa and Barca's case the St George's cross was their city flag/crest since the middle ages also around the same time that England started to use the St George cross. Milans flag is identical to the St George cross but did not derive from it.

The English flag is a St George Cross however the St George Cross is not exclusively an English Flag.

However it seems your facts are correct whereas my assumptions aren't.  However my point of English folk founding clubs all over the world is correct. We did take the game to the world.

Don't think anyone is disputing the fact the English made the game as popular across the world as it is today, or that it deserves to host the WC again ahead of the likes of f***ing Russia.

Russia and Eastern Europe in general are well deserving of a World Cup, imo. Russia has produced many great players, they have one of the best leagues in the world, and boast a good enough infrastructure (at least in the parts of Western Russia housing people and games).

Incognito is a good guy and poster but this "we created the sport" therefore we get the cup argument is poor. Just say you have all the stadiums and good public transport necessary to handle a cup. Boom, good argument for me.

Incognito is a good guy and poster but this "we created the sport" therefore we get the cup argument is poor. Just say you have all the stadiums and good public transport necessary to handle a cup. Boom, good argument for me.

Well of course we have all of that too.  It's just that the history of Association Football began here and so to be the host of one World Cup is just wrong.

Blame your marketing, your ambassadors, your hotel accommodations or your old hooligans from old days and other negative steriotypes. Blame your tourism authority. Blame David fucking Beckham. Don't just use the creation of association football as the reason. Like I said - list the stadiums, commute time, atmosphere and then maybe just post videos of Euro 96 and call it a day.

Got nowt to do with any of the above - old snobby English attitudes and high press scrutiny / low profits to be made by organisers means no tournaments for us as long as most of us live IMO.

We came 4th of a poor 4 options in the voting for 2018. It was an absolute waste of time bidding.

They played a variation of football in China 2000 years ago, man, as well as tons of other cases all over the world. England invented the modern day rules in the 18th century and popularized it. I wouldn't say they invented football, but they created the football we know today due to their rules being brought all over the world due to imperialism.

:lol: No they didn't. Kicking a ball about is not football, it's kicking a ball about. Just like how having a scrap outside of a cave 4000 years ago wasn't boxing.

Blame your marketing, your ambassadors, your hotel accommodations or your old hooligans from old days and other negative steriotypes. Blame your tourism authority. Blame David f***ing Beckham. Don't just use the creation of association football as the reason. Like I said - list the stadiums, commute time, atmosphere and then maybe just post videos of Euro 96 and call it a day.

There's really nothing wrong with accommodations, there's nothing wrong with the marketing or David f***ing Beckham's involvement in the last bid attempt, there haven't been inordinate hooligan problems in over a decade (they hosted a European Championship in Ukraine/Poland in 2012 for f***'s sake) and the negative stereotypes of English football have more or less dissipated in the Premier League/Sky era.

I agree that it has nothing to do with inventing football. It has to do with common sense about where in the world might host a pretty good football tournament. Like the London Olympics, England (or a joint UK bid for that matter) would probably host a friendly, enthusiastic, cost effective, well organized World Cup with a great atmosphere for supporters. It is well overdue another one, seeing as Germany, Italy, France, Spain etc. have all hosted at least once since (plus additional European Championships) and we're seriously entertaining another US bid in the relatively near future.

As Disco says, FIFA won't do it because they won't make enough money. Because their corrupt organizing committee hate the FA and English football in general (see Jack Warner), and because FIFA's own practices (FIFA courts, sponsor focused bullshit, profit) will face more difficult public scrutiny from an active press about the way they operate.

Blame your marketing, your ambassadors, your hotel accommodations or your old hooligans from old days and other negative steriotypes. Blame your tourism authority. Blame David f***ing Beckham. Don't just use the creation of association football as the reason. Like I said - list the stadiums, commute time, atmosphere and then maybe just post videos of Euro 96 and call it a day.

There's really nothing wrong with accommodations, there's nothing wrong with the marketing or David f***ing Beckham's involvement in the last bid attempt, there haven't been inordinate hooligan problems in over a decade (they hosted a European Championship in Ukraine/Poland in 2012 for f***'s sake) and the negative stereotypes of English football have more or less dissipated in the Premier League/Sky era.

I agree that it has nothing to do with inventing football. It has to do with common sense about where in the world might host a pretty good football tournament. Like the London Olympics, England (or a joint UK bid for that matter) would probably host a friendly, enthusiastic, cost effective, well organized World Cup with a great atmosphere for supporters. It is well overdue another one, seeing as Germany, Italy, France, Spain etc. have all hosted at least once since (plus additional European Championships) and we're seriously entertaining another US bid in the relatively near future.

As Disco says, FIFA won't do it because they won't make enough money. Because their corrupt organizing committee hate the FA and English football in general (see Jack Warner), and because FIFA's own practices (FIFA courts, sponsor focused bullshit, profit) will face more difficult public scrutiny from an active press about the way they operate.

I agree with this except inventing the game should surely be a major plus point.

Just watched five minutes of ESPN the sports reporters and I was very very close to self harming. Such a bunch of smug condescending twats. Getting really angry at the arrogance of many "sports" reporters and newbie fans. So fucking belittling to the sport, all of the fucking time. Going to gan mental soon.

When Alexi Lalas is given as much time and credit as he is, you know things are still a bit fucked. Thank god someone at ESPN had the wherewithal to get Martinez and Van Nistelrooy.

And no one on Sportscenter, Sports Reporters, PTI, or any of the other shows has a clue.

I'm not sure what station it was but I was watching the news last night and in the recap of the Chile/Brazil game contained the line: "and Gonzalo Jara with a great move but oh so unlucky the ball hits the bar". I know there's a lot worse said by the likes of Olbermann and co but that line pissed me off :lol:

Just seen a few people mentioning a UK World Cup.

Surely that won't happen? I'd imagine host cities/towns would have to be an equal split? You couldn't find six places in either Scotland or Wales that would be suitable. You could just about do it including both alongside England but then it'd mean three countries having automatic qualification. FIFA would never allow it, or if they did they'd expand the tournament to 40 as once considered. Stupid.

Just watched five minutes of ESPN the sports reporters and I was very very close to self harming. Such a bunch of smug condescending twats. Getting really angry at the arrogance of many "sports" reporters and newbie fans. So fucking belittling to the sport, all of the fucking time. Going to gan mental soon.

:lol: Well that's why no one watches the fucking Sports Reporters. Is fucking Lupica still on that? The day after the Ghana win the radio was unbearable.

When Alexi Lalas is given as much time and credit as he is, you know things are still a bit f***ed. Thank god someone at ESPN had the wherewithal to get Martinez and Van Nistelrooy.

And no one on Sportscenter, Sports Reporters, PTI, or any of the other shows has a clue.

Just wait until Eric Wynalda, Joe Buck and FOX take over for the 2016 Copa America and 2018 World Cup .

:lol: Well that's why no one watches the fucking Sports Reporters. Is fucking Lupica still on that? The day after the Ghana win the radio was unbearable.

Can't help it man. There are no good channels. I hop around, find nothing, then type in 570 for ESPN, watch it for 30 seconds, realise it's shite, and then do the same thing all over again.

Joe Gyau somehow got a move to Dortmund, already 21 and made a handful of appearances for Hoffenheim and was a squad player at St. Pauli. Weird one, was once really highly rated I guess, but wasn't even sure he'd be on the bench if he stayed. Maybe if things pan out he can add some pace to our wings along with Johnson if he moves up, also forgot Nagbe is a serious option if he gets citizenship. Could look like a really different team in a year or two.

Joe Gyau somehow got a move to Dortmund, already 21 and made a handful of appearances for Hoffenheim and was a squad player at St. Pauli. Weird one, was once really highly rated I guess, but wasn't even sure he'd be on the bench if he stayed. Maybe if things pan out he can add some pace to our wings along with Johnson if he moves up, also forgot Nagbe is a serious option if he gets citizenship. Could look like a really different team in a year or two.

Fingers crossed for Zelalem too.

Nagbe was decent last year but haven't seen much of him this season. I know Portland have been struggling. Has his form dipped?

Tbh, I'm not particularly taken with him, but I probably also haven't seen enough. Mostly I base my hopes for him off of what other people have said because many who watch more think he's going to be a huge addition to the national team. I know he played well this weekend, that's about it.