Alexander Isak

Disco

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Can I ask a question ...

When Demba Ba was playing on the left side for us, how would people describe that position he was playing?

Is this where you argue Pardew was a forward thinking coach? Why dont you just say what you think instead of using slightly patronising rhetoric? (that's not irony either).

Edited by Adam P

1 minute ago, Adam P said:

Is this where you argue Pardew was a forward thinking coach? Why dont you just say what you think instead of using slightly patronising rhetoric? (that not irony either).

What? How is that patronising?

You know what ... never mind. When Howe plays them together however he wants to it can be discussed then.

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

What? How is that patronising?

You know what ... never mind. When Howe plays them together however he wants to it can be discussed then.

Because to make the point succinctly you just have to say how Ba was deployed, rather than saying 'how would you describe that'. Added to harumphing and irritation that this completely resolved question has come up again and that you cant be bothered with it, dont be surprised if it comes over as patronising. I was looking forward to hearing your thoughts, you essentially came back with 'i cant be bothered to engage with you, use the search function and read my posts i've covered it before'. Its a bit snooty mate. 

Just now, JonBez comesock said:

I think Isak will play wide right (sometimes) instead of Almiron 

However I can see him ahead of Wilson before the season is out - down the middle 

When Wilson is injured he's a shoe-in. But it will affect how we play. Essentially we will be returning to what we currently play, but with Isak instead of Wilson.

Just now, Adam P said:

Because to make the point succinctly you just have to say how Ba was deployed, rather than saying 'how would you describe that'. Added to harumphing and irritation that this completely resolved question has come up again and that you cant be bothered with it, dont be surprised if it comes over as patronising. I was looking forward to hearing your thoughts, you essentially came back with 'i cant be bothered to engage with you, use the search function and read my posts i've covered it before'. Its a bit snooty mate. 

TBF, how Isak will play, has been described on numerous occasions.

I think the plan for when Wilson is fit from Howe is to play the right sided attacking player, Isak in this case, more in and around the right half space more than out wide. Think that's probably where he wanted Maddison playing had we signed him. 

2 minutes ago, Adam P said:

It wasn't directed at you personally. The conversation has just been had a few times now.

I just think some people don't think he can be played as a wide forward and others disagree, and it's been explained by a few different people about how it would work, but others aren't convinced, and so I don't know where else to go with the whole thing.

When Howe has everyone available and decides to play them together we'll see how he does it. He's already come out and said he sees them playing together and so we will see it at some point.

16 minutes ago, Adam P said:

I've only been following the thread this week. 

Ah, so you've likely missed a lot of the discussions on this.

@HaydnNUFC has just made a good point about how we might have used Maddison if we signed him. Interestingly enough if you watched Maddison last night he started on the right side, but was far more central most of the match, playing off Vardy. 

Real Sociedad used a diamond formation last season, where Isak was the right sided striker and so a lot of his work was done in that right side half space, which would not be too dissimilar to how he would play as a right side forward if we used him there. In that setup, the opposition full back is covered by the midfield shifting over defensively, so that the RCM supports his full back on that right side, and so the right sided forward (Isak) could then stay high up the pitch. A similar defensive approach would have to be employed for us defensively to keep him forward so he's not tracking back with full backs, if we use him as a wide man.

Edited by KaKa

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

He was an inside forward, but it did affect his goal return.

Yes, the point is that he wasn't hugging the touchline playing as a winger.

His goal return was affected, yes, but that was still Pardew ball. It was nowhere near the type of football we are playing under Howe generally as a team, and so I would expect the quality and quantity of chances to be better, which would mean a better goal return from those areas.

Just now, Ikon said:

Isak didn’t come here to play wide. 

I totally understand what folk are saying regard fluidity in the system.

That said, last season Isak played in a two up top and it affected his goal return. Ba has been cited as an example, another forward who's goal return was affected by a change in position.

Isak seems to naturally drift into the channels and he's great at picking up those pockets of space between the centre back and the full back. He also has excellent feet and can beat a man, but that doesn't mean he'll necessarily make a decent inside forward.

I'm all for experimentation and giving things a go but it reminds of when fans discuss playing Colo or Schar in midfield. You don't pay £60 million quid for a footballer to not play him in his best position.

5 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Isak didn’t come here to play wide. 

:lol:

And this is why I find the whole discussion tiring at this point.

You try to go into the details of it and have a proper discussion and it gets diluted to him being shunted out wide.

Lawd have mercy!

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Yes, the point is that he wasn't hugging the touchline playing as a winger.

His goal return was affected, yes, but that was still Pardew ball. It was nowhere near the type of football we are playing under Howe generally as a team, and so I would expect the quality and quantity of chances to be better, which would mean a better goal return from those areas.

Hs goal return was affected by the choice of CF. Cisse is a goal poacher not the type to bring in the IFs.