Garang Kuol (on loan at FC Volendam)

Johnny

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Joe White?

Adequate, hardly say he’s torn up trees like Anderson. Bear in mind it’s his 3rd league loan after Hartlepool and Exeter.

1 hour ago, Nucasol said:

Another Shola special. Other than Minteh, has he got a single loan right this season?

His hit-rate is incredibly shite.  There doesn’t seem to be any thought process behind the loans - just get them out somewhere.  But loanees need to play - they could sit on our bench, and have access to better coaching and facilities to boot 

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

NUFC keep loaning him to clubs well above the level he’s at right now.  Hearts then Voldendam.  He should have been sent to the fourth tier in England a la Anderson.  Australians won’t admit it, but there is a significant quality jump from the A-League to the Scottish Premier or the Eredivisie.  Kuol wasn’t even a regular here in Oz. 

That’s complete rubbish. The SPL is full of average a-league players who made the transition over. 

Just now, aussiemag said:

That’s complete rubbish. The SPL is full of average a-league players who made the transition over. 

It’s a beautiful sunny morning here in Sydney mate.  Having to watch shite live football is a trade-off I’m willing to make :)

Value of top players in A-League on transfermarkt:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/a-league-men/marktwerte/wettbewerb/AUS1

Same for Scotland:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/premiership/marktwerte/wettbewerb/SC1

It’s not comparable. 

He definitely has/had exciting qualities but ultimately there are loads of interesting kids who don't make the cut for all kinds of reasons. Experiences, luck, injuries, and probably personality is the biggest one. There's probably a thousand English 33 year olds who could've had more of a top flight career than Dan Burn based on talent with a ball aged 18, but he's made it and they haven't.

If they aren't playing him then he might as well come back here and not play. Christ, sell Almiron and he probably will get game time. 

The sad thing is I thought us miss managing young players careers were firmly behind us, but seems we're still that club. 

3 minutes ago, Dokko said:

If they aren't playing him then he might as well come back here and not play. Christ, sell Almiron and he probably will get game time. 

The sad thing is I thought us miss managing young players careers were firmly behind us, but seems we're still that club. 

Ameobi is an Ashley-era hangover; a yes-man for the previous regime.  Fuck knows why he’s still in situ. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Ameobi is an Ashley-era hangover; a yes-man for the previous regime.  Fuck knows why he’s still in situ. 

Superficially, it's probably the biggest single question I have over the whole Dan Ashworth/Football side of the new ownership. I'd have thought they'd have wanted this area nailed down a long time ago already.

2 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Is he actually the guy making the decisions? I can't see it.

My thought was he is just the liason. ie. Deals with the player whilst he's on loan and makes sure he's set up and happy, not the one who makes the decision where he actually goes.

25 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

My thought was he is just the liason. ie. Deals with the player whilst he's on loan and makes sure he's set up and happy, not the one who makes the decision where he actually goes.

I've thought that myself, but if so, then who is controlling things?

I think I remember hearing Eddie say they pretty much leave it up to the kid to make a choice based on the offers that have been made. But that sounds so unprofessional I halfway discounted it, but maybe I shouldn't have.

2 hours ago, Nucasol said:

Another Shola special. Other than Minteh, has he got a single loan right this season?

Was Shola an Ashley appointment?  

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

NUFC keep loaning him to clubs well above the level he’s at right now.  Hearts then Voldendam.  He should have been sent to the fourth tier in England a la Anderson.  Australians won’t admit it, but there is a significant quality jump from the A-League to the Scottish Premier or the Eredivisie.  Kuol wasn’t even a regular here in Oz. 

Just speculating but as an Aussie, (and Central Coast Mariners fan) after the world cup Kuol was the most exciting thing in Australian football, it felt. I was thrilled he signed with Newcastle. And NUFC got a lot of positive coverage in Australia (where in all honesty) they are not one of the most supported EPL teams. I'm not suggesting his transfer and fee was a cynical attempt to get more supporters for NUFC from this part of the world cos as others have pointed out football is not the biggest sport here so don't know how big the market is etc - but coming from a smaller football nation, I know a lot of supporters did take an interest in NUFC (just to see how a 'local boy' is going). 

1 hour ago, Full90minutes said:

Just speculating but as an Aussie, (and Central Coast Mariners fan) after the world cup Kuol was the most exciting thing in Australian football, it felt. I was thrilled he signed with Newcastle. And NUFC got a lot of positive coverage in Australia (where in all honesty) they are not one of the most supported EPL teams. I'm not suggesting his transfer and fee was a cynical attempt to get more supporters for NUFC from this part of the world cos as others have pointed out football is not the biggest sport here so don't know how big the market is etc - but coming from a smaller football nation, I know a lot of supporters did take an interest in NUFC (just to see how a 'local boy' is going). 

Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd seems to be the popularity sequence over here (Liverpool seem to be the most popular). 

I also don’t think that there was a cynicism in NUFC’s approach - there isn’t the supporter numbers over here to make serious money off the back of an Australian player signing for a club.  I think it was because he was seen as a kid with real potential.  Perhaps he’ll still make it - he’s still young.  The signs are currently pointing towards ‘not’, though. 

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, Nowhere Man said:

This lads gone well under the radar. Need to get him out of this rotten squad and get him some games. Feel bad for him. 

You're right, but think we have to conclude it's not looking optimistic for him. Does feel like we've badly mishandled him though. He was young and cheap enough that we could have had him train with us for that first 6 months to get into our patterns and acclimatise before shooting him out anywhere.

1 hour ago, 80 said:

You're right, but think we have to conclude it's not looking optimistic for him. Does feel like we've badly mishandled him though. He was young and cheap enough that we could have had him train with us for that first 6 months to get into our patterns and acclimatise before shooting him out anywhere.

Agree. Came with plenty of promise, but not being able to get into the first team of Scottish and Dutch not exactly top teams is a clear sign he’s probably not cut out for the Premier League. A cheap gamble, that didn’t work out. Probably get our money back still.

Remember watching this guy give Barcelona problems in a friendly over the summer for his previous club.

Not sure what is happening, but it isn't good at all. Would have been better off just keeping him around.

Need to get him somewhere in Belgium next season. Terrible loan this year and last. Complete waste.

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Remember watching this guy give Barcelona problems in a friendly over the summer for his previous club.

Not sure what is happening, but it isn't good at all. Would have been better off just keeping him around.

Need to get him somewhere in Belgium next season. Terrible loan this year and last. Complete waste.

Barcelona vs A-League XI.  Meaningless kick around.  The lad was extremely raw and wasn’t even a starter at CCM.  He should’ve been shipped to a lower league club to give him experience at a level where he’d get minutes.  Instead Ameobi sends him to the SPL and Eredivisie.  Absolute madness